Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White
    1998 Camaro

Lining up a hood

So I bought a new 3-inch cowl induction Sunoco Style hood from liberatyfiberglass.com. It lines up well right out of the box I'm just having a couple of problems. One is that the latch I can get the hood to latch but I can't get it the hood to pop when I pull the hood release latch. Not a big deal I can probably fix with some extra tweaking. The main problem I'm having is that the hood isn't flush near the front quater pannels by the windshield. The hood is sticks out about 1/3 of an inch from being flush with the Celli wet(spelling) of car. Is there anyway to flex fiberglass or mold it so I can get a more flush look without destorying the structual integrity of the hood?

-Thanks
    -Aaron
    Mods: SLP Flowpac Cold Air Induction Package, 160 Thermo, TB bypass, SLP (Clutch, Pressure Plate, Flywhell), Skip Shift Elminator, UMI (SFC, Tower Brace, LCA, Torque Arm, Panhand Bar), no cats, Moser 9" w/ 3.89 gears, 5.0 short throw, Strano Springs, Koni single adj, '94 OEM ZR-1 wheels

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by Octavain View Post
    Is there anyway to flex fiberglass or mold it so I can get a more flush look without destorying the structual integrity of the hood?

-Thanks
    Nope, once fiberglass is set it's set. Can you ream out the holes so you can lower the back a little more?? Pic's would really help.

Silver
    2000 Trans Am

I just bought a Tru-fiber hood and have spent a week tweeking my fenders and hinges. Post some pics so I can see what your taking about and I'll try to help.

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by Goldcuffs View Post
    I just bought a Tru-fiber hood and have spent a week tweeking my fenders and hinges. Post some pics so I can see what your taking about and I'll try to help.
    I just installed a Tru-Fiber as well but only spent about 3 hours adjusting. Fit's very well I thought for an aftermarket hood.

Did you finally get it to line up???

White
    1998 Camaro

No I haven't. Going to take some pics. of it today. I may need a little help posting pics on a thread.

White
    1998 Camaro

Pics

Here are some pics of the outside problems. Getting the hood open is a two man job. Will have enternal engine bay pics tomorrow. Note I have already taken out all rubber stops for hood adjustment.

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am M6

Lets try this again.
    Hopefully this works!
    OK, first thing you are gonna have to do is ream out the holes in the hinges to get the hood to drop. It also looks like the hood needs to move back, but get it dropped first. Does it bolt up the same as a Firebird?? Gotta get the back down flush before you can focus anywhere else.

White
    1998 Camaro

What exactly do you mean by ream? I didn't have anytime today to get under the hood photos but will do that tomorrow.

-Thanks for your help.

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am M6

What exactly do you mean by ream? I didn't have anytime today to get under the hood photos but will do that tomorrow.

-Thanks for your help.
    You need to remove material from the hinge that bolts to the hood to give you more adjustment. I actually think they are just holes now and I ovaled them out and made slots. On my TA, there is a bracket that bolts to the hood and then that bracket bolts to the hinge, kind of a dual hinge. Two bolts are horizontal and two are vertical. I used the second bracket (the horizontal bolts)to adjust the up and down and the bracket that is bolted directly to the hood (vertical bolts) to adjust the front to back. I had to ream out both sets of holes though, as I needed the hood to move back further than the stock one was and lower as well.
    Probably doesn't make much sense unless yours bolts up the same though, but hopeefully you'll get the just of it.

White
    1998 Camaro

Anyway you could provide pictures.

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am M6

Anyway you could provide pictures.
    Yes, I'll try and get out there tonight and get some.

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am M6

My photo editor skills are crappy but hope you get the idea. The green circles show the stock holes in the hinge. The red slots show the area that I reamed out. By doing this it will give you more adjustment up and down. Hope that makes sense. Sorry for the crappy pic.

Liberty Fiberglass, Cincy Compositists, Champion, Cobra Auto Designs, 877 Hoods, Hoods 4 less, Hoods 4 Sale, the list of names go on and on for this company...which are all the same. Most of these hoods are sold on ebay, and when there is bad feedback about their products or problems, they change their name.
    There is a 13 page post on why not to purchase from this company which you can find here:
    http://forums.corral.net/forums/show...=273968&page=2
    If you read through this thread, you will find that the attorney general is going after this company for shady business practices.
    And here's another:
    http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread...+exotics+roger

This company makes quickie molds directly from other companies' hoods - like our VFN 3" Sunoco Hood that WE designed and they pulled a mold from. And sold the product to you, which is what you're showing there. We're not the only company they've stolen from, they've taken both US Exotics and Cervini hoods and made molds off their product - on the Cervini design, you can still see the name Cervini in the hood that this company sells. US Exotics, Cervinis and ourselves all make a high quality product, which is NOT what you get from this company.
    There are unfortunately a lot of problems with this company and with both fitting issues and finish (air bubbles under the surface that become apparent when you attempt to paint the hood), which you can clearly see from this board (the link above) - not just my word.
    Please use caution when purchasing from them.

White
    1998 Camaro

Yes my hood hinges are excatly like that of a Trans Am. Thanks for the pictures. I'm going to get on that this weekend! Thanks for all of your help.

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by jeaniek View Post
    Liberty Fiberglass, Cincy Compositists, Champion, Cobra Auto Designs, 877 Hoods, Hoods 4 less, Hoods 4 Sale, the list of names go on and on for this company...which are all the same. Most of these hoods are sold on ebay, and when there is bad feedback about their products or problems, they change their name.
    There is a 13 page post on why not to purchase from this company which you can find here:
    http://forums.corral.net/forums/show...=273968&page=2
    If you read through this thread, you will find that the attorney general is going after this company for shady business practices.
    And here's another:
    http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread...+exotics+roger

This company makes quickie molds directly from other companies' hoods - like our VFN 3" Sunoco Hood that WE designed and they pulled a mold from. And sold the product to you, which is what you're showing there. We're not the only company they've stolen from, they've taken both US Exotics and Cervini hoods and made molds off their product - on the Cervini design, you can still see the name Cervini in the hood that this company sells. US Exotics, Cervinis and ourselves all make a high quality product, which is NOT what you get from this company.
    There are unfortunately a lot of problems with this company and with both fitting issues and finish (air bubbles under the surface that become apparent when you attempt to paint the hood), which you can clearly see from this board (the link above) - not just my word.
    Please use caution when purchasing from them.
    I don't disagree with most of what you said, but you give me a aftermarket fiberglass hood that fits a car with no modification what so ever and I'll eat it, 'cause it will never happen.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Ya I had to dremel the crap out of my hinges to get my US Exotics hood to fit.

White
    1998 Camaro

Ya I had to butcher my hood where the hood sets on top of the hinges. After I reamed out the wholes on the hood hinges I discovered that they hit the hood. Then being a rookie I was too hasty and hacked and slashed a little to much under the hood. But the hood lines up better, check it out.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...ageID=31824609

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...829&i=31824635

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...829&i=31824807

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...829&i=31825013

Still needs a little more work! *sigh*

Sunset Orange
    2002 TransAm

Anyone on here have any NEGATIVE input about Sun Coast Creations hoods with fitment issues?
    Last edited by Sunset T/A; 10-12-2008 at 04:25 PM.
    2002 Sunset Orange TransAm 6 spd.
    http://www.mustangmods.com/data/1327/dadsigpic2.jpg

White
    1998 Camaro

I was thinking about purchasing a hood from Sun Coast until I found another hood like the Sun Coast hood online for almost have the price from libertyfiberglass.com. I would not recommend getting a hood from them. You can see how bad the hood intially lined up with my car from the previous posts. But I haven't hear anything negative about Sun Coast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information