Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Lining up a hood

This is a discussion on Lining up a hood within the Appearance Section forums, part of the General Help category; So I bought a new 3-inch cowl induction Sunoco Style hood from liberatyfiberglass.com. It lines up well right out of ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member Octavain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    NW, Arkansas
    Posts
    77

    White
    1998 Camaro

    Lining up a hood

    So I bought a new 3-inch cowl induction Sunoco Style hood from liberatyfiberglass.com. It lines up well right out of the box I'm just having a couple of problems. One is that the latch I can get the hood to latch but I can't get it the hood to pop when I pull the hood release latch. Not a big deal I can probably fix with some extra tweaking. The main problem I'm having is that the hood isn't flush near the front quater pannels by the windshield. The hood is sticks out about 1/3 of an inch from being flush with the Celli wet(spelling) of car. Is there anyway to flex fiberglass or mold it so I can get a more flush look without destorying the structual integrity of the hood?

    -Thanks
    -Aaron
    Mods: SLP Flowpac Cold Air Induction Package, 160 Thermo, TB bypass, SLP (Clutch, Pressure Plate, Flywhell), Skip Shift Elminator, UMI (SFC, Tower Brace, LCA, Torque Arm, Panhand Bar), no cats, Moser 9" w/ 3.89 gears, 5.0 short throw, Strano Springs, Koni single adj, '94 OEM ZR-1 wheels

  2. #2
    Member Piranhaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    46
    Posts
    269

    Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Octavain View Post
    Is there anyway to flex fiberglass or mold it so I can get a more flush look without destorying the structual integrity of the hood?

    -Thanks
    Nope, once fiberglass is set it's set. Can you ream out the holes so you can lower the back a little more?? Pic's would really help.

  3. #3
    Member Goldcuffs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    411

    Silver
    2000 Trans Am

    I just bought a Tru-fiber hood and have spent a week tweeking my fenders and hinges. Post some pics so I can see what your taking about and I'll try to help.

  4. #4
    Member Piranhaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    46
    Posts
    269

    Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldcuffs View Post
    I just bought a Tru-fiber hood and have spent a week tweeking my fenders and hinges. Post some pics so I can see what your taking about and I'll try to help.
    I just installed a Tru-Fiber as well but only spent about 3 hours adjusting. Fit's very well I thought for an aftermarket hood.

    Did you finally get it to line up???

  5. #5
    Junior Member Octavain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    NW, Arkansas
    Posts
    77

    White
    1998 Camaro

    No I haven't. Going to take some pics. of it today. I may need a little help posting pics on a thread.

  6. #6
    Junior Member Octavain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    NW, Arkansas
    Posts
    77

    White
    1998 Camaro

    Pics

    Here are some pics of the outside problems. Getting the hood open is a two man job. Will have enternal engine bay pics tomorrow. Note I have already taken out all rubber stops for hood adjustment.










  7. #7

  8. #8
    Member Piranhaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    46
    Posts
    269

    Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Octavain View Post
    Lets try this again.
    Hopefully this works!
    OK, first thing you are gonna have to do is ream out the holes in the hinges to get the hood to drop. It also looks like the hood needs to move back, but get it dropped first. Does it bolt up the same as a Firebird?? Gotta get the back down flush before you can focus anywhere else.

  9. #9
    Junior Member Octavain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    NW, Arkansas
    Posts
    77

    White
    1998 Camaro

    What exactly do you mean by ream? I didn't have anytime today to get under the hood photos but will do that tomorrow.

    -Thanks for your help.

  10. #10
    Member Piranhaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    46
    Posts
    269

    Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Octavain View Post
    What exactly do you mean by ream? I didn't have anytime today to get under the hood photos but will do that tomorrow.

    -Thanks for your help.
    You need to remove material from the hinge that bolts to the hood to give you more adjustment. I actually think they are just holes now and I ovaled them out and made slots. On my TA, there is a bracket that bolts to the hood and then that bracket bolts to the hinge, kind of a dual hinge. Two bolts are horizontal and two are vertical. I used the second bracket (the horizontal bolts)to adjust the up and down and the bracket that is bolted directly to the hood (vertical bolts) to adjust the front to back. I had to ream out both sets of holes though, as I needed the hood to move back further than the stock one was and lower as well.
    Probably doesn't make much sense unless yours bolts up the same though, but hopeefully you'll get the just of it.

  11. #11
    Junior Member Octavain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    NW, Arkansas
    Posts
    77

    White
    1998 Camaro

    Anyway you could provide pictures.

  12. #12
    Member Piranhaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    46
    Posts
    269

    Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Octavain View Post
    Anyway you could provide pictures.
    Yes, I'll try and get out there tonight and get some.

  13. #13
    Member Piranhaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    46
    Posts
    269

    Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am M6

    My photo editor skills are crappy but hope you get the idea. The green circles show the stock holes in the hinge. The red slots show the area that I reamed out. By doing this it will give you more adjustment up and down. Hope that makes sense. Sorry for the crappy pic.


  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    lombard
    Posts
    6
    Liberty Fiberglass, Cincy Compositists, Champion, Cobra Auto Designs, 877 Hoods, Hoods 4 less, Hoods 4 Sale, the list of names go on and on for this company...which are all the same. Most of these hoods are sold on ebay, and when there is bad feedback about their products or problems, they change their name.
    There is a 13 page post on why not to purchase from this company which you can find here:
    http://forums.corral.net/forums/show...=273968&page=2
    If you read through this thread, you will find that the attorney general is going after this company for shady business practices.
    And here's another:
    http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread...+exotics+roger

    This company makes quickie molds directly from other companies' hoods - like our VFN 3" Sunoco Hood that WE designed and they pulled a mold from. And sold the product to you, which is what you're showing there. We're not the only company they've stolen from, they've taken both US Exotics and Cervini hoods and made molds off their product - on the Cervini design, you can still see the name Cervini in the hood that this company sells. US Exotics, Cervinis and ourselves all make a high quality product, which is NOT what you get from this company.
    There are unfortunately a lot of problems with this company and with both fitting issues and finish (air bubbles under the surface that become apparent when you attempt to paint the hood), which you can clearly see from this board (the link above) - not just my word.
    Please use caution when purchasing from them.

  15. #15
    Junior Member Octavain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    NW, Arkansas
    Posts
    77

    White
    1998 Camaro

    Yes my hood hinges are excatly like that of a Trans Am. Thanks for the pictures. I'm going to get on that this weekend! Thanks for all of your help.

  16. #16
    Member Piranhaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    46
    Posts
    269

    Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am M6

    Quote Originally Posted by jeaniek View Post
    Liberty Fiberglass, Cincy Compositists, Champion, Cobra Auto Designs, 877 Hoods, Hoods 4 less, Hoods 4 Sale, the list of names go on and on for this company...which are all the same. Most of these hoods are sold on ebay, and when there is bad feedback about their products or problems, they change their name.
    There is a 13 page post on why not to purchase from this company which you can find here:
    http://forums.corral.net/forums/show...=273968&page=2
    If you read through this thread, you will find that the attorney general is going after this company for shady business practices.
    And here's another:
    http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread...+exotics+roger

    This company makes quickie molds directly from other companies' hoods - like our VFN 3" Sunoco Hood that WE designed and they pulled a mold from. And sold the product to you, which is what you're showing there. We're not the only company they've stolen from, they've taken both US Exotics and Cervini hoods and made molds off their product - on the Cervini design, you can still see the name Cervini in the hood that this company sells. US Exotics, Cervinis and ourselves all make a high quality product, which is NOT what you get from this company.
    There are unfortunately a lot of problems with this company and with both fitting issues and finish (air bubbles under the surface that become apparent when you attempt to paint the hood), which you can clearly see from this board (the link above) - not just my word.
    Please use caution when purchasing from them.
    I don't disagree with most of what you said, but you give me a aftermarket fiberglass hood that fits a car with no modification what so ever and I'll eat it, 'cause it will never happen.

  17. #17
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Ya I had to dremel the crap out of my hinges to get my US Exotics hood to fit.

  18. #18
    Junior Member Octavain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    NW, Arkansas
    Posts
    77

    White
    1998 Camaro

    Ya I had to butcher my hood where the hood sets on top of the hinges. After I reamed out the wholes on the hood hinges I discovered that they hit the hood. Then being a rookie I was too hasty and hacked and slashed a little to much under the hood. But the hood lines up better, check it out.

    http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...ageID=31824609

    http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...829&i=31824635

    http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...829&i=31824807

    http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...829&i=31825013

    Still needs a little more work! *sigh*

  19. #19
    Member Sunset T/A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Spring, TX
    Age
    66
    Posts
    285

    Sunset Orange
    2002 TransAm

    Anyone on here have any NEGATIVE input about Sun Coast Creations hoods with fitment issues?
    Last edited by Sunset T/A; 10-12-2008 at 05:25 PM.
    2002 Sunset Orange TransAm 6 spd.
    http://www.mustangmods.com/data/1327/dadsigpic2.jpg

  20. #20
    Junior Member Octavain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    NW, Arkansas
    Posts
    77

    White
    1998 Camaro

    I was thinking about purchasing a hood from Sun Coast until I found another hood like the Sun Coast hood online for almost have the price from libertyfiberglass.com. I would not recommend getting a hood from them. You can see how bad the hood intially lined up with my car from the previous posts. But I haven't hear anything negative about Sun Coast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Window not Lining Up
    By theorangeguy in forum General Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-08-2013, 11:36 AM
  2. AT&T, Verizon Shared Data Plans Spark Debate: Silver Lining?
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Computers / Gaming
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-19-2012, 05:50 PM
  3. Body/Warp Panels not lining up
    By 95ZMan in forum Corvette
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-15-2008, 02:20 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-15-2007, 07:04 AM
  5. SunCoast Raptor hood verses Firehawk Hood
    By 99ta92rt in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-09-2005, 09:36 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •