Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

LED DRL's from VLEDS.com

This is a discussion on LED DRL's from VLEDS.com within the Appearance Section forums, part of the General Help category; Surprisingly I have never had to replace one that's why I had to ask. I hope I read the link ...

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Surprisingly I have never had to replace one that's why I had to ask.

I hope I read the link right $49 for the pair of bulbs right?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Surprisingly I have never had to replace one that's why I had to ask.

I hope I read the link right $49 for the pair of bulbs right?
    Yes they are alittle pricey, but if they last a good time they will be worth it. They look like they are good quality lights. Only time will tell.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    you ever replace the turn signal flasher? If you havent then I will try to guide thru it. i cant post pics today. im at work and don't get out for 24 hrs.

pretty much you have to remove the panel under the steering wheel and there is 2 flashers. one for the hazards and one for turn signals. for some reason the bulbs work fine with the regular OEM flasher when you put the hazards on. you are going to see a metal piece that run along the whole dash. the flashers are mounted behind that metal piece between the steering column and the radio. The best way to find which one is the correct one is to find them and then turn your hazards on. you will hear the flasher working. you can touch it and feel it clicking to confirm. that one is the one for the hazards(daaahh....) so you need to remove the other flasher and put the electronic one. put everything back together.
    That is bc the hazard flasher works a bit differently than the turn signal flasher. It behaves more like an electronic type, where it is more of a timed flasher than a load sensing one. That's why you need an electronic flasher with the LEDs, they have almost no amp load compared to the 3157NA bulbs.

I do like the look of yours, Jay, but I still like the factory amber when the parking lights are on as opposed to the clear light.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    That is bc the hazard flasher works a bit differently than the turn signal flasher. It behaves more like an electronic type, where it is more of a timed flasher than a load sensing one. That's why you need an electronic flasher with the LEDs, they have almost no amp load compared to the 3157NA bulbs.

I do like the look of yours, Jay, but I still like the factory amber when the parking lights are on as opposed to the clear light.
    Thanks for the explaining about the hazard flasher. You can get the bulbs amber only.

blue
    1999 TransAm

ok, so let me see if i'm getting this right?

1) buy the LED DRL elements. the LED DRL elements are 100% plug in play - i.e. fit socket perfectly?

2) buy electronic flasher (anyone have part #) and replace underneath the steering column area

3) what about the hazards flasher - do we have to replace that w/ an electronic flasher too?

...also curious - anyone running LED tailights, ...running lights...?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by wileyCoyote View Post
    ok, so let me see if i'm getting this right?

1) buy the LED DRL elements. the LED DRL elements are 100% plug in play - i.e. fit socket perfectly?

2) buy electronic flasher (anyone have part #) and replace underneath the steering column area

3) what about the hazards flasher - do we have to replace that w/ an electronic flasher too?

...also curious - anyone running LED tailights, ...running lights...?
    1) yes
    2) yes, just go the counter and have them look a turn siganl flasher for your vehcicle and pick one that is electronic.

3)No, the hazard flasher doesn't need to be replaced.

I was thinking about the taillight but that will be $200 dollars for bulbs.

Blue
    2001 Formula Firehawk

If you sign up for the newsletter from the site they give you a coupon code for 15% off, which drops them by $7.50.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Sas View Post
    If you sign up for the newsletter from the site they give you a coupon code for 15% off, which drops them by $7.50.
    damm i wished i knew that. oh well. thanks for sharing that info.

Black
    '98 Z28

I'd be interested to see how they look out in the sun. I did this on a previous car (not an fbody) and ended up taking them off because they only looked good at night.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by tpilews View Post
    I'd be interested to see how they look out in the sun. I did this on a previous car (not an fbody) and ended up taking them off because they only looked good at night.
    very good point. i will try to do that tomorrow. I can even put a regular bulb on one side so you can see the comparison.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 05-18-2011 at 06:00 PM.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

ok so i took the time to take some new pics and some new video per request of some members.

regular bulb:

LED bulb:

As we can see the regular bulb is slightly brighter.

Outside with LED's:

Video of comparison, regular bulb on passenger's side and LED on driver's side:

Video outside 50 feet away with LED's installed:

In conclusion the regular bulbs are still brighter than LED but not by much. These LED's are still brighter than the cheap ones at the autoparts. They run cooler and are a better option than just turning your DRL's off if you want to keep them functional but don't want to control the brunt sockets.

I'm going to keep track of the durability of these. My friend had them for several months now with no issues.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 07-19-2011 at 07:17 AM.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by tpilews View Post
    I also had that same experience with the 1st ones i bought a long time ago from Ebay. they were completely different from these construction wise.

I'm thinking about buy one of the LED from the autoparts and compare them with the ones i got.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 05-19-2011 at 11:18 AM.

Blue
    2001 Formula Firehawk

Got the new bulbs yesterday, tossed them in this morning. The previous owner super glued the old lights into the sockets.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Sas View Post
    Got the new bulbs yesterday, tossed them in this morning. The previous owner super glued the old lights into the sockets.
    lol thats a new one for me. i guess he wanted to make sure they don't fall or get stolen? how you like the LED's?

Blue
    2001 Formula Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    lol thats a new one for me. i guess he wanted to make sure they don't fall or get stolen? how you like the LED's?
    I like them, but really haven't checked them out to much, tossed them in and my cars been sitting in the garage. I've just slowly been replacing all the lights with LED's.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

UPDATE: well its been like 2 months since I installed these. Today I noticed one of them was dim. I pulled it out and clean the socket good. it seemed like it did the trick. As soon as i put it back it got dim again. I shaked the socket and noticed that it gets brighter. A closer inspection revealed the issue.

These 2 pins on top of the bulb are missing solder. You can also see like one of them was overheating. As soon as I put pressure on the area the bulb works fine. I know it just needs to be resolder. I'm going to contact V-LEDS.com tomorrow and see if they will give me a replacement. I called my buddy and it seems that he got the same issue but they send him replacements. If they don't send them I will resolder them. I pulled out my other bulb and i can see the same issue but this one has not failed yet but it will.

I'm wondering if this is going to be an ongoing problem or just cheap solder. It looks like there is no fix for the DRL issue...
    I just wanted to inform the members that have them or people that are interested on getting these. I will keep updating once I fix them.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Could possibly be either cheap or insufficient solder. There are different gauges of solder. The weakest one could have been used.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Could possibly be either cheap or insufficient solder. There are different gauges of solder. The weakest one could have been used.
    I hope is cheap solder. I paid $50 for these bulbs. I got some solder but not sure what gauge is it.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

You could try .032" diameter solder and see if that works. Those two pins on the top, is the solder supposed to connect to the two pins? Or do you just have to re-solder the pins individually?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    You could try .032" diameter solder and see if that works. Those two pins on the top, is the solder supposed to connect to the two pins? Or do you just have to re-solder the pins individually?
    Individually, those pins is were the power comes in from. I can see 2 filaments inside the bulb that go to the bottom of the socket. One of them has a resistor. Thanks i will try that if they dont replace them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information