keep or remove? if so.. how?

This is a discussion on keep or remove? if so.. how? within the Appearance Section forums, part of the General Help category; okay well i was trying to go the cheap route on makin my engine bay look good wellllll.. i used ...

black
    2000 camaro ss

keep or remove? if so.. how?

okay well i was trying to go the cheap route on makin my engine bay look good wellllll.. i used my left over caliber paint to paint these brackets.. they look good from 3 feet away.. but standing over the hood u can clearly tell that it was a rookie paintjob with a brush... paint is uneven..ontop of that i painted over the coated metal...do you all think it looks fine? if not how could i remove?!

white
    2000 Z28

scuff it up with sand paper. and spray paint will work way petter than brush. wetsand tol smooth. clear coat. wetsand again til smooth. for the wetsand all you need is very high grit sand paper and a hose to constantly wet the portion you are sanding, while your are sanding. though the one piece imo looks a bit out of place but i understand going for a red/black scheme. you just need more red dress up. the scheme can look great but you just need more red imo.

black
    2000 camaro ss

Anywhere I could jus buy the brackets?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

The part you've painted is part of the unibody structure and is spot welded in place as well as it being all one piece.. Not likely you'll just be able to replace that simply.. Your best bet will be to prep and repaint it..
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-16-2010 at 07:11 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

black
    02 Camaro SS 35th 20k mi

sand and paint!

I did the same thing not to long ago.. got bored and painted without prepping haha. I just went and spent twenty bucks on sandpaper, primer, etc and it looks great now!! well worth the effort

black
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by ratrod910 View Post
    I did the same thing not to long ago.. got bored and painted without prepping haha. I just went and spent twenty bucks on sandpaper, primer, etc and it looks great now!! well worth the effort
    so what do i need to do? what all do i need to get? how long did the process take to get the paint off?

midnight blue
    2001 trans am ws6

Well from a professional painters stand point I would first try something as simple as either paint thinner or acetone on a rag to try and remove it. sometimes with spray can paint it tends to be very easy to remove. if that doesn’t work you can go to your local automotive paint supplier and get a few pieces of 220 grit and a few 320 grit and sand until smooth. and while you are there most all paint stores will sell you any color you can think of in a spray can. it will be a higher quality paint (basically the same paint you would buy if repainting your car) first sand with the 220 until it looks completely flat and all your brush strokes are gone. than go back over it with the 320 to smooth it out a little better and also to lessen the sand scratches. than re paint it! hope this help

black
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by nvmybird View Post
    Well from a professional painters stand point I would first try something as simple as either paint thinner or acetone on a rag to try and remove it. sometimes with spray can paint it tends to be very easy to remove. if that doesn’t work you can go to your local automotive paint supplier and get a few pieces of 220 grit and a few 320 grit and sand until smooth. and while you are there most all paint stores will sell you any color you can think of in a spray can. it will be a higher quality paint (basically the same paint you would buy if repainting your car) first sand with the 220 until it looks completely flat and all your brush strokes are gone. than go back over it with the 320 to smooth it out a little better and also to lessen the sand scratches. than re paint it! hope this help
    so you said sand untill smooth... so the sand paper will take all of the red paint off and bring me back to my original black? What if i sand to far into the metal? when i repaint it is there anything i should apply on first?

black
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by saucycrossover1 View Post
    so you said sand untill smooth... so the sand paper will take all of the red paint off and bring me back to my original black? What if i sand to far into the metal? when i repaint it is there anything i should apply on first?
    also...wat all in my engine bay can i paint... tryin to get the red theme goin.

black
    2000 camaro ss

Well, it was a failure...sanded it down...taped everything off..used dupli.color..the paint looked chipped a minute after I apply. What did I do wrong? Thinkin about goin to a body shop...kno about how much it would cost? Ill post pic of my fuck up when I'm on the pc.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by saucycrossover1 View Post
    Well, it was a failure...sanded it down...taped everything off..used dupli.color..the paint looked chipped a minute after I apply. What did I do wrong? Thinkin about goin to a body shop...kno about how much it would cost? Ill post pic of my fuck up when I'm on the pc.
    Most likely if you left any of the caliper paint behind the 2 different paint compositions are'nt compatable with eachother.. You'll need to FULLY remove all the caliper paint prior to repainting it..

midnight blue
    2001 trans am ws6

Did you try to wash off the old paint with thinner or acetone first? It seems that it reacted to the old paint. Try and eiher sand it completely off until you reach the base black that was there before. Be sure to remove all the paint inwhich you have already applied. If you sand down to the metal that's okay just clean it all off and spray a good primer coat first. Let it dry for about thirty to forty minutes than repaint it. I know it's kinda a pain in the ass but this happens all the time. Like the previous person stated the new paint reacted to the caliper paint. Just remember that it's only paint and no matter what happens you can always sand it down and try again. Hope this helps.

215 heads,ms4cam,102 fast 2000ls1tranz's Avatar

White
    2000 trans am

take ur time sand prep an repaint

Red
    98 Trans Am

painting is all about prep and patients. 70% prep, 10% painting, 20% waiting for the dang thing to dry. Take your time and it will come out great.

black
    2000 camaro ss

Red
    98 Trans Am

that looks pretty good. Howed the paint finsh look?

Thread Information