Impounded

Interior questions

So after a week or so of looking at different options...i think this is my best option.
    Replace the carpet, headliner, t-top shades, and seat with aftermarket parts.
    Even though i really wanted to get my interior done by Classic Soft Trim, i refuse to drive half way across the state to indianapolis to get it done. They dont ship, and are not associated with any surrounding dealer/shops.

Now for the panels...how do you paint them? What do you use? How hard is it? Whats the process?

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

You could also try Katzkin. Might have a closer dealer.

Impounded
    Alright. I tried several sites. Some ship to addresses. But is 850$ worth it when i can get brand new aftermarket seats for 500$?

White
    1998 Trans Am

There is katzskin and a guy on ebay that sells the seat cover replacements. Also they sell a special vinyl dye at most aut paint supply stores.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Wait.........WHAT??!! LoneGunman's Avatar

Hugger Orange
    '99 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    So after a week or so of looking at different options...i think this is my best option.
    Replace the carpet, headliner, t-top shades, and seat with aftermarket parts.
    Even though i really wanted to get my interior done by Classic Soft Trim, i refuse to drive half way across the state to indianapolis to get it done. They dont ship, and are not associated with any surrounding dealer/shops.

Now for the panels...how do you paint them? What do you use? How hard is it? Whats the process?
    This article was copied from another forum, but the same process applies

This is an article on how to change or freshen up the interior color of your truck, Blazer, or Suburban using paint or vinyl dye.

To plan your dye job, you must first determine how you are going apply the dye. If you have access to a compressor and a paint gun, this is the best way to go if you plan to dye all your interior pieces. If not, don't worry...you can still get quality results with spray cans "if" you take the time to prep everything correctly.

Regardless of how you apply the dye, you will need the vinyl dye and vinyl prep that goes on before the dye.

Before you start the tear down, you should examine all your existing trim pieces. Are they worth dying, or should they be replaced? If they are cracked, deteriorated, or damaged in any way...now is the time to find replacement pieces. The dye will not hide these blemishes and will leave you unhappy with the results and lighter in the pocketbook.

Check you dash pad real close (especially by the speaker holes), is it cracked? What about your door panels & armrest pads? You better replace them too if you want this job to come out looking good. Once all this is decided, it's time to move on.

Step #1. The dirty work begins. Remove everything that you want to dye from your truck. It can be done while still installed, but it will make a big mess, so take the time to pull everything out now. Put the screws in zip lock bags and tag them so you remember where they go. Take your time so you don't cause any damage or lose any parts when removing all of the items you will be dying.

Step #2. This step may be skipped if you don't have pieces that have previously been dyed. If any piece has been dyed before, it is best to strip the old dye off. I found the best way to do this is with cheap lacquer thinner and paper towels...I would also suggest using gloves that are chemical proof too. Cheap lacquer thinner is great for removing old dye, as well as layers of skin from your hands. Trust me on this one.

Step #3. This is the most important step to achieve quality results. Every inch of every piece should be thoroughly cleaned. Even if you have stripped them with lacquer thinner, I would still clean them with soapy water. This is an "extremely" important step! Make a solution of dishwashing soap and water. It's a good idea to add a small amount of ammonia or Mr. Clean to the water to help strip the vinyl dressing and oil that the plastic emits as it ages is. Wash every piece front and back with this solution, then rinse with clean water. Now repeat this process again. Once you have repeated the process dry the parts completely. Make sure that there is no moisture left anywhere on the panels. If you can’t blow them dry with compressed air, it might be best to set them in the sun, or cover them and let them air dry over night.

Step #4. Prep your pieces with vinyl prep. Read the instructions and follow them closely. Some preps are designed to dry completely before the dye is applied, and some suggest you prep then apply the dye right away. Make sure you read the instructions and follow them closely.

Step #5. This is the fun part. You finally get to see all your hard work pay off, but do not rush this step...take your time and put on nice even coats. Again, read the instructions and follow them closely. If you are using a spray gun, once you get everything covered completely you will finish with a final overlap coat to make sure you don’t have any dry spots or stripping. If you are using spray cans, save a fresh can to give everything a final coat. This will ensure that everything is the same color as well as preventing any dry spots or stripping.

In closing...

If you are using a spray gun, check with your local automotive paint store for the brand that they carry. They can set you up with the correct prep and dye and answer any questions you may have. If you are going to use spray cans, the best brand in my opinion is SEM. It can be bought through Eastwood, or ordered online from many supply companies. If you have taken your time and done this correctly, the end results should like the pics I have posted below.

Impounded
    Awesome! Thank you so much LoneGunman

Wait.........WHAT??!! LoneGunman's Avatar

Hugger Orange
    '99 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    Awesome! Thank you so much LoneGunman

teal
    1998z28m6- 1999z28a4

i have a cracked dash pad were can i get new for good price

silver
    2000 formula

i just put a new GM dash pad on.........GM still has em.........300$

teal
    1998z28m6- 1999z28a4

thanks sorry 4 delay was out of town

Impounded
    By dash pad u mean...?

White
    1998 Trans Am

Dash pads much cheaper than dealerships. Not a sponser but I don't think we have any that sell gm dash replacements

http://www.autopartscheaper.com/category_s/320.htm

Impounded
    See i need the dash itself
    tho. And i can only find them in Classic Industries for $1200!!!
    Ebay i have tried multiple times but no dice...

silver
    2000 formula

dash or dash pad???1200 ????? last i looked they were 280..........jus looked........PN G4358....281$....2000-2....... dash pad
    Last edited by sjsingle1; 06-30-2010 at 01:04 AM.

Impounded
    Dash. Not the pad that lays close to the windshield. I mean dash as in the main part like where the Head unit rests in an the A/C and Heater vents are. The dash dashlol

Bright Red
    1998 Camaro SS

Classic Soft Trim

The nearest CSF is 120 miles away from my home. They came to my house and removed my interior (including door panels), took it to their shop for the install and returned in one week to re-install it in my car.

Impounded
    Looks awesome. Closest CST for me is half way across the state.

black
    1995 transam

Have you tried craigslist. Many people are parting out 4th gen firebirds and I'm sure you can find a good one for a good price. The secret to finding what you need on craigslist is being patient, searching your whole state rather than just where you are, and persistence. The part you want may not be available today, but a week from now or a month from now chances are that someone will have one.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

If you need front seats look into 6litereater seats, they're nice and relatively cheap

Impounded
    Hmm let me check that out.
    I found a place called Dr. Vinyl in Evansville. Not sure if theyre any good. But im gonna stop in this weekend.

Thread Information