HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar

Cool How to wire up Halo Headlights ??

So I'm planning on hooking them up through my fog lights. Is this ok because there's two halo's that are being drawn from there aaand these three lil led lights too I guess?? and does anyone know a better way, or any helpful/useful pointers? I know I heard your supposed to wire them through the parking light/lamp but wouldn't that mean that the halos and led's would be on alllll the time like my DRL's and then again when my headlights are on?? They gave me absolutely NO instructions which really sucks. Also what does the positive wire look like from the fog lights that I need to splice into to?? Thanks guys,
    Last edited by Raoul-Duke; 05-25-2009 at 10:47 AM.
    01 m6 z28 - lid / lt headers / 3' ory w no cats / flowmaster catback w 3' dmh e-cutout / nelson pcm tune

I Think, Therefore Z-28 Corvettekid82's Avatar

Triple Black
    2001 Z-28 Vert

Current draw will be very low because the halos are most likely LEDs as well. There is 1 brand that uses cold cathodes. They will run off of the fogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvettekid82 View Post
    Current draw will be very low because the halos are most likely LEDs as well. There is 1 brand that uses cold cathodes. They will run off of the fogs.
    ok so I should not have a problem running it all off the fog lights? and what are cold cathodes??

and one more thing, does everyone run it off the parking lamp? Wouldnt that mean the halos would be on all the time whenever the car is on??

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke View Post
    ok so I should not have a problem running it all off the fog lights? and what are cold cathodes??

and one more thing, does everyone run it off the parking lamp? Wouldnt that mean the halos would be on all the time whenever the car is on??
    no, only when you turn your lights on. the drl feature uses the turn signal element in your bulb, its brighter. which also means hotter, which means melted sockets and housings, which is why a lot of us have disabled the drl and auto headlight feature.

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
    no, only when you turn your lights on. the drl feature uses the turn signal element in your bulb, its brighter. which also means hotter, which means melted sockets and housings, which is why a lot of us have disabled the drl and auto headlight feature.
    I've run my halo's off my parking lights for over a year now with no problem's. I want mine on all the time, heck I always drive during the daytime with my headlight's and fog's on because I have HID in both and it looks good even in bright sunlight! JMO.
    2002 Camaro Z28 Bolt ons, Flowmaster catback w/3" QTP electric cutout, Superchips tuned, Granatelli MAF, SLP cold air induction Lid & filter, ZEX powertune plugs, Taylor 10.4mm wires, 160 T-stat w/fan control, Eibach sportlines & BFG-KDW's on 17" SLP SS rims.

Triple Black
    2001 Z-28 Vert

Quote Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke View Post
    No problem at all running off of the fogs. Thats how I did mine.
    Cold cathode tubes are just an alternative for lighting the halo rings. They are brighter than the leds.

Pewter
    99 Z/28

maybe i wired mine the wrong way lol, but i have the simple halo's and the wire that went to the halo's i just spliced it directly to my fog lights, put those wire caps on it, electrical taped it up and called it a day. i've had them on for 3 years now no problems, except my parking light keeps blowing up every month, would my halo-fog connection be the cause of this?

Triple Black
    2001 Z-28 Vert

Quote Originally Posted by 28Marcos View Post
    maybe i wired mine the wrong way lol, but i have the simple halo's and the wire that went to the halo's i just spliced it directly to my fog lights, put those wire caps on it, electrical taped it up and called it a day. i've had them on for 3 years now no problems, except my parking light keeps blowing up every month, would my halo-fog connection be the cause of this?
    Probably not the cause, but I'd do a litter better than wire caps. That part of the car sees a lot of water/moisture. I'd suggest rewiring it and sealing it up.

Do your turn signal housings leak? Water in them will cause the bulbs to blow really quick.

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by 28Marcos View Post
    no. stuff like that would blow fuses not bulbs. its the drl, hot bulbs blow easily.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

As for which wire on the fogs...black is ALWAYS ground.

NBM
    2002 Camaro

I wired my Halos to the outer bulbs of the parking lights so that they come on when the headlights are on or if I just want them on without the headlights being on I can just turn the light switch over to the first setting.
    02 Camaro
    PRC Stg 2.5 5.3's, Futral F14, PP Typhoon intake, True duals, Performabuilt tranny, & 3500 convertor, HSW plate kit.
    *Old Time* 10.90@ 125mph

Thread Information