How to clean engine?

Aright I bought a 1999 camaro z28 and it is in great condition and compleatly stock because a older lady owned it and washed it all the time but never washed the engine. It has 25000 miles on it. Anyway she had it under coated and the engine is filty. My question is how do I clean the engine will it be ok if I go to the carwash and presure wash it or will it cause shorts and make things go bad? thanks rob

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z-28 SS

Dude, DO NOT go to the carwash and pressure wash it EVER! That is bad news!!! I cleaned mine with terry clothes, armor all wipes and lot's of time. Take your time. It is worth it.

two tone
    2003 harley davidson f150

spray simple green in the bay... use a mild brush for common area... then spray off with low pressure keeping it moving whereas the water doesn't concentrate in one area for too long.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/videos/ -walking through cleaning from start to finish

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Agreed.

Thought about letting the dealership steam clean it...but even that worries me if you aren't 100% stock.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I use Simple Green and low pressure water. Don't use high pressure like the guys mentioned above. I leave mine running while rinsing as well. Here are my results:

just to make sure, how would you define low pressure. would that be like a garden hose w/o a gun at the end of it?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SSee ya View Post
    just to make sure, how would you define low pressure. would that be like a garden hose w/o a gun at the end of it?
    Correct, or if you are at the carwash I use the low pressure spot free rinse or rinse without holding the trigger down.

Y3KPewter That is a nicelooking engine bay. How did you rewire all the wires? Mine looks totaly different. Take a look how messy this thing is and If you can tell from the pictures, if it stock or if some one been playing around in there.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by silent101 View Post
    Y3KPewter That is a nicelooking engine bay. How did you rewire all the wires? Mine looks totaly different. Take a look how messy this thing is and If you can tell from the pictures, if it stock or if some one been playing around in there.

Click for full size
    Thank you!

From the best I can tell, yours looks totally stock to me. The air induction is a stock setup, you still have the EGR and AIR pumps. The AIR pump hose is on the left side by the fender and the EGR feeds into the intake manifold. The only thing from that picture that may look a lil strange to me is what is running along side the passenger fender, I just can't tell what all that is by the picture.

I spent the majority of the summer making mine look the way it does, and I still have a few other things to do. I started by cleaning it real well first and getting rid of the EGR and AIR garbage. Then I got all the brackets, valve covers, MAF ends, tensioner and a few other misc. things powdercoated. I had the fuel rail covers colormatched and swapped most of the bolts out for chrome ones and billet bolt covers. I polished the a/c dryer and ABS unit and painted the back of the headlights, they looked awful. I also now have a PCM cover and battery cover that aren't shown in that picture.

As for hiding all the wires, the ground wires on both aprons were very simple to re-route, just moved them downward. The hood latch is a very simple one to re-route as well, I ran it down on the bottom of the driver side fenderwell. That will clean up the driver side fender.

The final one takes a lil work. Here is the link to a write up on it: http://www.lswon.com/2005/01/25/wire-mod/

If you have any further questions, please ask. I don't mind helping at all. It will take some work to get yours cleaned up, but mine looked very similar when I got it, so I know it can be done. I tried to concentrate on one area at a time and knock that out then move to another area. You can't do it all at once, I assure ya

two tone
    2003 harley davidson f150

same with me... simple green with low pressure spray and sometimes a brush...

old pics:

looks like its simple green for me. Thanks for the help all and nice cars!!!

Onyx Black
    2002 SS

I agree with you on the use of the simple green!!!

Y2KPewterSS, what did you use to dress your engine up after the simple green? And how is it to attracting dirt? (or not attracting)
    2002 Onyx Black Camaro SS, m6, SLP Cold Air Induction, SLP Lid, K&N Air Filter, SLP 160 Stat, SLP MAF Type B, Y-Pipe Dual Cat, Out & Tip Exhaust, SFC, STCB, PHB w/HCA's, Rear Lower Skip Shift Harness, Hyper-Tech LS1 Power Programmer.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I really didn't use anything after to dress it after cleaning it. I do use Zaino products for the pieces that are painted. Most everything in my engine bay is painted/powdercoated/chromed/billet and thats why it looks so shiny/good. Its also garaged and not driven often so its easy to maintain.

A lot of people do spray the hoses and other stuff down with Armor All after cleaning and let the engine run to bake it in for several minutes. I have never done this, I really have never had a reason too, but I would think it would add to the dust buildup honestly.

Onyx Black
    2002 SS

ok, thanks...looks awsome btw.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SS#337 View Post
    ok, thanks...looks awsome btw.

Anytime, and thank you

sunset orange
    02 SS M6

Dont use black magic 2 in 1 engine cleaner. It made my blacks look worse. Had to go back in with the armor all.
    05 HEMI Ram, 96 Eclipse GST, 02 SS.

Onyx Black
    2002 SS

noted, thanks. what would you suggest? anything that wouldn't attract a lot of dirt. if there is such a product.

sunset orange
    02 SS M6

I might try the CD2 engine detailer next. Heard some good things about it.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by ErikElvis View Post
    I might try the CD2 engine detailer next. Heard some good things about it.
    Good suggestion, I haven't read a single negative comment about it yet.

nbm
    00SS

same here low pressure and with towels.

Thread Information