Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

blue
    1999 z28

HID vs projector headlights

Hello Everyone,

Can anyone tell me the differences between HID vs projector headlights? I'm thinking about buying a pair of halo lenses covers as well as upgrading the headlights. Any feedback that you can provide would be appreciated!!

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

HIDs are just a different type of bulb.
    Projector Lights are actually integrated w/ the lenses and project the beam from the bulb. The big difference is definatley the price of the lenses between the Halo's and Projector's w/ or w/ out halo's. They have just added 2 more styles of lenses on eBay, so make sure you check out everything before ordering. Hope that helps.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

true hids replace the entire light housing, require you to reqire stuff, and are fairly expensive (but look awesome). or you could go the route i did and get a set of upgrade hid/xenon bulbs from ebay. i got brand new low and high beam eurodezigns bulbs for $1.98 plus shipping. i just installed them and they look awesome. check out my cardomain page for before and after pics. they prob wont look as good as a true hid conversion kit but they only cost 1/100 of the price and took literally 2 minutes to install.

blue
    1999 z28

thanks for the info-does one give off more light than the other? I live in an area where it gets pitch black at night

last of the breed... urstolendesire's Avatar

Red
    2002 Transam

i actually bought some of those xenon lights from ebay and put them on my 94 camaro, true it needed to have its own lil mod to make htem fit but i wasent too impressed, they were cool for a couple weeks but then it got to where you couldent see anything, and if it rained... not a good combo. of course that was on the older style headlight where you have like 5-6 inches of bumper in front of the light so it cant be projected down very well...even then, we put the exact same bulbs in my dads GMC 1500 and he hates them as well... the blue tint looks neat but theres not even enough light to stop a deer.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

I live my HID lowbeam/foglight conversion kit. Cost a couple hundred $$ more than just changing out the bulbs, but looks great, and lets me see great!

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

CobraHunter, I'm gonna go for the HID Fogs next. Did the 9006 bulbs and never looked back! I'm doing the 10000K's tho, your's look like 8000K's, but just as awesome!

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Actually, both sets of lights are the 10000K ones. I would have gone with the 8000K bulbs, but as this is an aftermarket setup, I didn't want to cause too much glare to other drivers and possible get pulled over for it.

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by cobrahunter View Post
    Actually, both sets of lights are the 10000K ones. I would have gone with the 8000K bulbs, but as this is an aftermarket setup, I didn't want to cause too much glare to other drivers and possible get pulled over for it.
    Wow, my 10000K's look way blue'er. I guess it's just the camera you used. Really looks good tho man! I think after I do my fogs I'm gonna go for some LED blinkers.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Yeah, I've already started replacing all my exterior bulbs with LEDs. Run a lot cooler and last way longer.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Yeah, I've already started replacing all my exterior bulbs with LEDs. Run a lot cooler and last way longer.
    Do they work in the blinkers without causing the system to think that a bulb is out and making it blink fast?? Since they draw such low current, I've also heard people say that they can glow when they aren't even turned on.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

I haven't touched the blinkers, just the side marker lights and parking lights.

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

LED blinker/hazard lights require a different flasher/resistor or some crap. Here's the link on what to get...http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showth...6845751&conly=
    The switchbacks are awesome, your bulb stays white, and changes orange when it flashes when you turn on your blinker.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I haven't touched the blinkers, just the side marker lights and parking lights.
    Aren't the parking lights in the front the same bulbs as the DRLs/blinkers though??

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Aren't the parking lights in the front the same bulbs as the DRLs/blinkers though??
    There's 2 different bulbs in the lens.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 camaro SS A4

I live my HID lowbeam/foglight conversion kit. Cost a couple hundred $$ more than just changing out the bulbs, but looks great, and lets me see great!

Click for full size

Click for full size
    Where did you get them? Hard to install or butchering of the car?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SS #2988, A4, Navy Blue Metalic, 335HP Dual Dual Exhaust, Chrome 10 spokes, Floor mats, Dash plaque, and SS Grille
    Best ET 13.08 @ 106.1, 2.00 60', with SLP lid

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by bevenue View Post
    Where did you get them? Hard to install or butchering of the car?
    Got mine off of eBay. All plug and play. The bulbs plug in the ballast, the ballast plugs into the OEM plug wire & BAM your done!
    Make sure you get a weatherproof ballast w/ the built in ignitor. Some come w/ the ignitor seperate & I heard they like to stop working after a few days.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Yeah, I also got mine off of ebay. Set up is a breeze. It's all plug n play. I guess I would suggest going with the built-in ignitor. My kit has the ignitor separate; I installed the kit last June and I haven't had any problems what-so-ever. I was so happy with the kit, that I replaced my stock fog lights with a set of Hella Micro DE driving lights and replaced it's stock bulbs with HID bulbs. I'm running 10000K for all the HID bulbs.

White
    2000 Trans Am Ram Air WS6

Headlights For A 2000 Trans Am

DOES ANY BODY MAKE AN AFTERMARKET HEADLIGHT FOR THE TRANS AM? I AM TIRED OF REPLACING HEADLIGHT MOTORS IN MINE. I LIKE TO FIND HEADLIGHTS THAT LOOK LIKE THE NEW 2007 CORVETTE. I THINK THEY WOULD LOOK GREAT ON THE T.A.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

For those running the 8k+ bulbs any of you have problems with heating of the lenses? I had 8k bulbs on mine and it heated them to where the inside of the lense has spiderwebbed giving it almost a yellowed look and diminishing visibility. Body shop guy told me I needed to drill holes in bottom to let heat out. Secondly anyone bought any of the projector or halo headlights off Ebay what sellers did you use. I see several but my criteria of purchasing off ebay are strict and that puts most sellers off my list. So who did you use? I need a good light as I live in the country with no streetlights on the roads and am in dire need of some light.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information