Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

HID Fog light question...

So im looking at throwing a set of 6000k HID's in my fog lights...I bought a set of HID headlights for my 2010 dodge ram hemi and I had a wiring harness to install, grounds that needed to be done, and some other BS...everything im reading involving fog lights "for our cars" is saying that all I need is the 880 kit and its basically plug and play with the ballast and no wiring harnesses or grounds are required. Anybody have any experience with this? Also...I have a 35w kit in my trucks headlights and they are pretty bright...has anybody run a 55w kit in our cars fogs and had any success?
    Last edited by theorangeguy; 05-14-2013 at 06:14 AM.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

You're going to melt the plastic lens.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    You're going to melt the plastic lens.
    with the 55w kit or with either one? Im asking because i've never thrown a set of HID's on an F body...

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    with the 55w kit or with either one? Im asking because i've never thrown a set of HID's on an F body...
    Any hids...they get really hot and they're really close to the lens. They're the same as the Grand Prix and I melted my lenses with HIDs.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    Any hids...they get really hot and they're really close to the lens. They're the same as the Grand Prix and I melted my lenses with HIDs.
    What wattage were you running...? More details would be great...generic "your gonna destroy something" answers arent helping me make a decision Was it because you ran them for X amount of hours and the lens melted or was it after running the lights for like 30 minutes?
    Last edited by theorangeguy; 05-14-2013 at 07:18 AM.

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

I honestly don't remember all of the details of the bulbs from three years ago.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

If there are glass aftermarket foglight lenses for your truck, you'll be fine. Otherwise, I would just run some Silverstars in the fogs. I run 35w HID lows and standard bulbs in the fogs, but they're yellow. There is a member who ran HIDs in his fogs for his Trans Am, but the lenses melted.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I have been using DDM tunning 35w HID in my fogs for about 2 yrs now. I have checked and they look fine. Not saying they are not going to melt but they have been holding up pretty good. Do not use 55w in your fogs they will melt down.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    I have been using DDM tunning 35w HID in my fogs for about 2 yrs now. I have checked and they look fine. Not saying they are not going to melt but they have been holding up pretty good. Do not use 55w in your fogs they will melt down.
    thanks. I was looking for someone who had some actual experience with them...the DDM 35w kit is actually the one that I'm looking at so im glad to hear thats the one you are using.

Black / White

Almost forgot...were the ballasts plug and play or did you need to run grounds and wire some stuff up?

Blue
    2001 Formula Firehawk

I've got the DDM kit as well, and it looks like it's slightly been melting out my fogs. I can snap a pic if you want. Everything was pretty much plug and play with mine.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by Sas View Post
    I've got the DDM kit as well, and it looks like it's slightly been melting out my fogs. I can snap a pic if you want. Everything was pretty much plug and play with mine.
    If you dont mind can you post a pic of it? thanks

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Ok I just checked mine again and I do see some black marks(about 1/2") on the reflector finish on the right side of the fog lights. There is alittle bubbling in the reflector area close to the bulb. The plug or shape of the fog light is still good. The HID's could melt the fog lights if my condition worsen. I don't drive at night time that much so maybe that's why mine are lasting longer. I'm using 35w kit in them.

I'm wondering if the metal piece inside the fog light that covers the top of the bulb could cause excessive heat causing the bubbling and burn marks. It is next to it. I don't see the purpose of the metal piece inside the fog for our cars since the fog light is deep inside the front bumper.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    Almost forgot...were the ballasts plug and play or did you need to run grounds and wire some stuff up?
    the DDM's were plug and play pretty much.

Blue
    2001 Formula Firehawk

The lower brown mark is just a reflection of the middle one.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Ok I just checked mine again and I do see some black marks(about 1/2") on the reflector finish on the right side of the fog lights. There is alittle bubbling in the reflector area close to the bulb. The plug or shape of the fog light is still good. The HID's could melt the fog lights if my condition worsen. I don't drive at night time that much so maybe that's why mine are lasting longer. I'm using 35w kit in them.

I'm wondering if the metal piece inside the fog light that covers the top of the bulb could cause excessive heat causing the bubbling and burn marks. It is next to it. I don't see the purpose of the metal piece inside the fog for our cars since the fog light is deep inside the front bumper.
    I'm thinking so. If I recall, that cover is riveted close to the center of the housing.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    I'm thinking so. If I recall, that cover is riveted close to the center of the housing.
    I'm wondering if I can remove that cover. Do you know if the rivets are exposed on the outside? maybe I can remove the rivets and maybe remove the metal piece thru the bulb hole.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

I Am about to get a set of 880 6000k temp HID 35W for my TA fog lights and H7 6000k temp HID for the headlights. (I upgraded the high and lows to different housings years ago) Its a plug and play setup from HIDWERKS for the headlights & fogs. I think 35w SHOULD be fine, but I can't say for sure because I haven't got them yet. I've had 55w silverstar bulbs in my TA for over 6 yrs with no issues of melting. I just want to upgrade to hid's.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Just on the plug and play part, that is manufacturer dependent. DDM is plug and play, they offer warrantly on the bulbs only though. After shipping, adding a harness, I went with a different product that has a better warranty for alittle more $$$.

I believe they melt because the fog lights are fully sealed on our cars, not positive, but I know on a vehicle that is designed for HID's, they have a vent in the housing. Even some new vehicles are connected to vacuum to draw the hot air out.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

The Trans Am fog lights have a small vent on the bottom of the housing. Not sure if my fogs are OE. I bought the car used and cannot say if they been changed before or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information