Black
    2002 Camaro SS

Help with Disassembly to Paint Engine Parts

At the end of this month I am taking my valve covers off to paint wrinkle black and paint my coil brackets red. I have never removed my valve covers and I looked for a sticky in multiple different sections but couldn't find anything. Can someone help me out with some instructions or if there is a sticky out there somewhere post it up.

Also, how do you remove the SLP lid? Do you just remove the MAF sensor with it? I am painting my lid and the base too. With the base do you remove this for paint too?

Sorry for the elementary questions but I just haven't done these things before but need to put some finishing touches on the engine bay.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS

no one? I know you obviously take the 4 bolts out of the valve cover but just looking for any other hints or tips, and the LID removal?

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

What year is your car, I am guessing it is a 99 and up? If it is a 99 and up you just take the bolts down the center out so you can move them up and down. They are held in by seals so you won't be able to take them out until the valve covers are off. Otherwise you just take all of the bolts off all around the valve covers.

The lid you unclip the clips, loosen the clamps on the bellows between the MAF and throttle body, disconnect the MAF sensor from the wire harness, lift it off the car and pull the bellows off of the MAF. Next take a hair dryer and heat up the neck of the lid, the MAF should slide right out. The base has 4 bolts I think that bolt it to the car, remove those and it lifts off.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 10-02-2012 at 09:59 AM.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Black
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    What year is your car, I am guessing it is a 99 and up? If it is a 99 and up you just take the bolts down the center out so you can move them up and down. They are held in by seals so you won't be able to take them out until the valve covers are off. Otherwise you just take all of the bolts off all around the valve covers.

The lid you unclip the clips, loosen the clamps on the bellows between the MAF and throttle body, disconnect the MAF sensor from the wire harness, lift it off the car and pull the bellows off of the MAF. Next take a hair dryer and heat up the neck of the lid, the MAF should slide right out. The base has 4 bolts I think that bolt it to the car, remove those and it lifts off.
    Thank you very much for the response and its a 2002. I assumed it would be pretty straight forward but wasnt quite sure.

Black/ Silver

Be sure to replace the gasket before you put them back on.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS

Yeah I will replace the gaskets, is there a certain brand or kind thats better than another?

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by smitty504 View Post
    Yeah I will replace the gaskets, is there a certain brand or kind thats better than another?
    I would get GM gaskets otherwise do Fel-pro.

Thread Information