Guys Help ! What to do about a little rust ????

This is a discussion on Guys Help ! What to do about a little rust ???? within the Appearance Section forums, part of the General Help category; So I'm keeping the maro and theres 1 MAJOR thing that I HATE about my car. in front of the ...

SOM
    2002 SS

Guys Help ! What to do about a little rust ????

So I'm keeping the maro and theres 1 MAJOR thing that I HATE about my car. in front of the rear wheels at the bottom of the 1/4 or rocker panel there is rust. It hasn't spread and I touched it up with tremclad quickly when I first bought the car but I need to slow it or have it taken care of. ANy ideas? Is this best left to a bodyshop to completely sand that area down prime it and paint it so it doesnt spread?

The area i am referring to is the WAYYYY right in this picture.

red
    2002 camaro 35th anv.

being that it looks just like surface rust and it is in an area you cant see to well, i would just remove as much of the rust as you can with a wire wheel. then just cover it with some por 15 rust preventitive paint. if you can see the paint, once the por 15 dries cover it with some touch up paint

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

+1 Don't forget to wear eye protection if u use the wheel too- can throw a wire into ur eyeball = bad day. Only way to stop the corrosion is to remove it completely and treat it.

Pewter
    2000 Pewter Z28 M6

as previously said a wire brush on a drill will work wonders on surface rust. then paint. THEN go buy a few tubes of marine grease at wal-mart and apply use gloves to apply to every bit of metal underneath the car (including the newly painted problem area) like the frame, steering and suspension components, wheel assembly. Dont put it on the exhaust or anywhere it will interfere with braking. and you will be set. Apply the grease annually. The great thing about marine grease it it is made to withstand direct contact with water so in the winter salt/water spray will not wash it off. Especially when its cold and thick.

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Does this marine grease act as a magnet for dirt and sand?

Pewter
    2000 Pewter Z28 M6

The marine grease will cause dust to stick to it but i dont beleive this is a bad thing. my buddy has a 68 chevelle and it sat in a garage for 20 years before he bought it. When he repainted the underbody he had to sand blast off a layer of dirt/grime that was underneathe the whole thing. what it was was a rust proofing job that had dirt stick to it over time. It made the best water/rust barrier. wherever the layer of grime was there was no rust. Also the car was from ohio so the salt is always bad and there was still very little rust on this car. From my experience a layer of grime will form but will not interfere with the mechanics and is not visible.

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

There are four things required for corrosion: An Anode (the metal), a cathode (where the reaction happens), an electrolyte (humidity, moisture), and a pathway to carry electrons (I used to teach this stuff to Marines and Sailors). If the protective coating is applied correctly, the chain of factors causing the corrosion should be effectively broken (block electrolyte from reaching metal).

Crisco-ing the undercarriage seems unnecessary if the coating is properly applied. I like the concept behind ur idea but I'm by the beach and don't think I'd like the grit magnet associated with the grease. Good input tho Camaroluvr.

Thread Information