blue
    2000 camaro

Getting to my gauges

Hello everyone! Didnt konw where to post this, but im trying to get into my spedometer. I unscrewed the two screws in the plastic or vinyl dash but couldnt take that part all the way out. anything else i need to know to pop that piece out other than the two screws. Oh, and i have a 2000 SS camaro. Thanks for yhe help.

Red
    2001 ws6

Not sure, but there might be some plasitc clips hiding somewhere if im thinking about the same thing your describing. Hopefully someone else chimes in with some more useful and definitive information.

Black
    '98 Z28

The whole steering column has to slide down. It's been about 5 years since I've done this, but IIRC, there are 4 bolts that need to come off. Obviously, the cover, then two bolts for the support bracket, and then another two that hold the column in place. The bolts are tough to see at first, but once you know where they are, you can find them by feel. It takes about 10 minutes once you know what you are doing.

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

Absolutly no need at all to drop the column...all you do is tilt your column all the way down. pull the 2 screws out of the bezel like u already did...and start to pull it out....you have to angle it out around the column but ittl come out...then there are going be i believe 6 7mm bolts holding the gauge cluster in...pull those out and then grab the 2 edges of the cluster and slide it out also...getting the cluster out is somewhat tricky..what i have done is depressed the tabs on the cluster to pull the clear plastic off of it which helps a butt load becuase you reduce its thickness by about half to easily remove the rest of the cluster...if you need more room what i also have done is taken a rag of some sort wrapped it around the tilt wheel rod and clamped some vice grips on that rod and take it out completly making sure u still have the wheel tilted all the way down for as much room as u can get. then do some wiggling and pulling and the cluster will be out in no time. let me know if u need more help with this

White Liquid Silver
    2000 Camaro SS/ 02 YZF-R1

Agree with Steve above...do yourself a favor and disconnect the battery first so you don't short anything or trip any sensors. First time I did mine without disconnecting the battery my airbag light came on.

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

i have never disconnected my battery when doing this. never had a problem with mine

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

Lowering the column is simple and takes only a few minutes, makes removing the cluster much easier. Three bolts hold the knee pad, then two nut on the support bracket and then two bolts on the column support bracket. Loosen them up to lower the column about two inches and then the bezel and cluster come out. The bezel has the two screws you removed and two clips at the base - pull it straight out and the clips will release. They have sharp edges so be careful removing it so you don't scratch anything. Then once you remove the retaining screws the cluster comes straight out.

Thread Information