Front bumper looks like poop

This is a discussion on Front bumper looks like poop within the Appearance Section forums, part of the General Help category; I've drove across country a while back and I was too lazy to wash my car, and now I washed ...

2002 Firebird

Front bumper looks like poop

I've drove across country a while back and I was too lazy to wash my car, and now I washed it like 2 or 3 weeks later and my front bumper is still nasty from all that bug crap!! I was scrubbing it real hard and there's still some left overs, what the hell? I guess it's a good investment to get a bra when you drive across country. Also I used to wax it weekly and my front bumper never looks as good as the rest of my car. Does anyone else have that problem too? TIA.

Last of the Breed Pewter02Formula's Avatar

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Firebird Formula

Try a bug & tar remover... you can find it at pretty much any auto store. You have to mix it with water though, because it's really potent stuff. I've used it to remove tar splatters for years and have never had a problem with it. Those bug guts get baked on by the sun and it's hard to get 'em off a lot of times. I've found that regular soap & water doesn't dissolve 'em very well at that point.

Also, what color is your car? Some colors fade faster on the fiberglass bumper than they do on other parts of the car.

2002 Firebird

Well, living out here in Vegas, I'm sure they bug's guts will definitely bake into my car. My car is black, and I'm sure those are one of the colors that fades pretty fast. It never looks that shiny. It sucks...

Last of the Breed Pewter02Formula's Avatar

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Firebird Formula

Yeah, black will fade relatively quickly compared to other colors... but being in Vegas where the sun is really hot, I'm sure it fades even more quickly. Red is another color I've noticed that is notorious for fading.

PUREVIL

Black
    2000 Trans Am

get a bottle of HP 112 its a cleaner/degreaser that works ver good, but if you leave it on the paint to long its start eating it. just use it then wash w/ soap and water when done. when i say eat at the paint, its like alot on the car and be on there for like 10-15 min. i use it all the time and cleans all guts up fast and easy
    00 Black T/A m6
    Stock Internals=343 rwhp 349 rwtq
    11.81 @ 117 1.59 60'
    Cam Only= 456 rwhp 408 rwtq
    10.99 @ 126 1.49 60'
    Home Page
    AIM W68Firebird97
    http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...23_34_full.jpg

Dreamin of a Paint Job... XtinKt's Avatar

Silver
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Simple Green works pretty good as well. Let it soak for a bit and wipe off.

Silver02TA
    you guys are completely insane to put degreaser on your paint.

just let the bugs/grime soak with water for a few minutes, and then apply any bug & tar remover

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

May I add that a bra will damage your paint if you leave it on full time.I agree that Vegas sunshine is brutal compared to anywhere else in the country.Bug and tar remover does wonders-remember to wax as it strips the wax off.A polisher like Meguiars can do a good job at bringing back that lost shine,then a high quality wax like Meguiars can keep the bugs from sticking as hard next time.I'm talking about the three step wax system.

redls1bird
    i use a cleaner i use from our detail department at work ( i work at a auto dealer) its called purple power. i think Kent makes it. its a crazy cleaner, and it will strip wax off your car if you leave it on too long, but it takes care of bugs with ease.

black
    94z

you may also try a clay bar. it is used in body shops to take off overspray and stuff. or a cheap trick is to use peanut botter like it is a wax. this also works on the tar and crap your tires sling all over the car usually the bottom of th fenders doors and quarters.

Red

Don't let BUGS STAY ON FOR A LONG TIME!!! There's no substitute for taking care of your car's paint period. All these shortcuts are great for once in a great while, but for the long run your clear coat and paint will suffer.

Wash it soon as you get done traveling or next day the latest. If that's to much hassle, get pickup they look manly bug gutted.

Thread Information