FRC questions

This is a discussion on FRC questions within the Appearance Section forums, part of the General Help category; How would you fill in the letters on the FRC's? What does it take to paint? How much would a ...

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

FRC questions

How would you fill in the letters on the FRC's?

What does it take to paint?

How much would a body shop charge to do both?

I just got some form ebay, they are black and have the "Corvette" lettering still. I want to paint them NBM to match the car. I'm planning on getting the lettering for "Trans Am" from Afterthoughts once they are painted.

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

I used the filler from auto zone and sanded it down to smooth. I either didn't mix correctly or the lack of a heat shield on the bottom side of the FRC because I got some small cracks in the lettering outlining the letters. So I redid the whole thing and resanded/repainted. Still haven't put a heat shield on the bottom yet but the results were a little better this time. I ordered a set of vynil Trans Am decals and placed them over the Letters that were still showing small cracks. It worked out since it was right in the area where I wanted them in the first place. Not the best looking job but it's fine for now, I plan on having them airbrushed in the future. It is only a half days worth of work and most of that was spent waiting for the paint to dry. The rest was prep and sanding. To sum things up, put some of that heat shield stuff on the bottom of your FRC's, use a good filler instead of penny pinching for the cheap stuff that "should work just the same", and not to insult your intelligence but use a high temp paint. I wound up repainting after my first try because I used regular stuff. After all is said and done, you'll have fun trying to install them without messing up the paint.
    Last edited by robcas47; 06-17-2011 at 04:22 PM.

ASA Cam, Built A4, 3500 Stall, LT's, ORY, Hooker CB, E Cut-out, Lid, Modified SSRA, , SFC's,UMI Tq Arm w/relo, Spohn LCA's, 3.73's, Free Mods, Dyno tuned by James @ SpeedShift Performance. Need more suspension mods!!!

Navy Blue Metallic

thx's

and how's old 7th Bat?

When I was there I was part of 9th bat before the broke the air up and re-flagged them to 3ID

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

7th was broken up and my company, A CO, moved to 6th. A lot changed when they switched to GSAB.

red
    2002 camaro 35th anv.

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    How would you fill in the letters on the FRC's?

What does it take to paint?

How much would a body shop charge to do both?

I just got some form ebay, they are black and have the "Corvette" lettering still. I want to paint them NBM to match the car. I'm planning on getting the lettering for "Trans Am" from Afterthoughts once they are painted.
    subscribed, i would like to know aswell. I was hoping there was a write up on this somewhere but couldnt fine one

Black
    2001 Pontiac

Typically, you can find someone to make some really nice ones for ya for anywhere between $245-275+shipping.
    <- hint, ...

Of course, if you just wanna do it yerself & 'try' to save some money, ..., if you have the tools & knowledge you can do it.

As 'robcas47' noted above & found, it's a learning experience, ...

Cut, Grind, Sand, Fill, Sand, Fill, Sand, Fill, Sand, Primer, Sand, Paint, Decals, Clearcoat, Wet-sand, Polish, ..., Yea, that's my typical process. Labor intensive. Not cheap. But a really nice end product too.

Use a flexible filler, Not yer typical Bondo.
    Use automotive grade, hi-temp paint.

Cut corners, ..., & well, you know the rest of the story, ...

Navy Blue Metallic

so if I have a pair Pontiacfan and was looking at getting them done, what would you charge?

Fill, prime & paint. They came off a 98' LS1 so no need for cutting. Want the same color as car NBM. If you can air brush too maybe some flames....

Navy Blue Metallic

wow Pontiac Fan you do some damn fine work.

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

Pics anyone? I'd love to see how it turned out. Can you post some?

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Niles View Post
    Pics anyone? I'd love to see how it turned out. Can you post some?
    I haven't gotten to mine yet. But Pontiac Fan gave me a link. I will say he has some awesome skills.

I'll let him decide if he wants to post the link

Black
    2001 Pontiac

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I haven't gotten to mine yet. But Pontiac Fan gave me a link. I will say he has some awesome skills.

I'll let him decide if he wants to post the link
    PM sent to Niles as the forums frown upon non-sponsor links.
    I don't go advertising the work. It's simply referrals & hobby work.
    That's why I didn't leave it up there the other day.
    Thanks for the kind words too, I appreciate the good feedback.

Navy Blue Metallic

your work has me seriously debating which way I want to go.

Do I want to do it myself like the LS6 Intake or do I hire out (someone like you) and get something professionally done?

I like the challenge of doing it, but if I screw up the filling or the paint, will it be something you could fix?

Also I tried the on the FRC's last weekend and they fit perfectly. No addition cutting needed.

Black
    2001 Pontiac

I'd offer to do it from scratch from the beginning, but don't want to 'fix someone else's
    work'.
    Know what I mean?
    Not meant in a negative manner, but you know, ...

So how little cutting could you get away with?
    Have you done the !AIR/!EGR to help remove extra stuff in the back?
    How'd you cut for the throttle cable bracket relief?
    I typically have always slotted the opening, where others have cut the whole rectangular corner off. I try to retain the front curve of the passneger side cover, so both sides curve around into the intake manifold.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by PontiacFan View Post
    I'd offer to do it from scratch from the beginning, but don't want to 'fix someone else's
    work'.
    Know what I mean?
    Not meant in a negative manner, but you know, ...

So how little cutting could you get away with?
    Have you done the !AIR/!EGR to help remove extra stuff in the back?
    How'd you cut for the throttle cable bracket relief?
    I typically have always slotted the opening, where others have cut the whole rectangular corner off. I try to retain the front curve of the passneger side cover, so both sides curve around into the intake manifold.
    I've long ago deleted the EGR/Air and have LTs.

I went back and looked at the passenger side and I now see what you were talking about with the throttle cable bracket. At first I didn't see it was sitting like it was. I agree in that keeping the rolled look will look better.

Only other question I have is I need to peel the heat tape off the fuel lines IOT fit the drivers side properly correct?

When I put the heat tape on the back of the FRC's this will protect the fuel lines because they are now on the out side of the FRC's and are now protected from the heat. Correct?

I've decided to go ahead and see what I can do. It only has cost me $50 for the FRC's and I like to try new things. If I really screw this up, I know I'll be coming back to you to get new ones done right.

Black
    2001 Pontiac

You can get by with just peeling the tape off the fuel lines up to that valve thing on there. But be careful when installing that you are easy on the lines when feeding the covers into position.
    You can break off the tube on the end of the purge valve. $17 or more at a dealer if you have to replace it. Been there done that, many years ago.

But I agree, that yer thinkin' that the lines are now above the cover & less prone to engine heat even if they are missing the wrap now.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by PontiacFan View Post
    But be careful when installing that you are easy on the lines when feeding the covers into position.
    You can break off the tube on the end of the purge valve.

Been there done that, many years ago.
    Almost did last night...

Navy Blue Metallic

PontiacFan where do you get your decals? I'm having a bitch of a time finding them.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403 built, breaking it in , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, Monster Stg 4 Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, UMI: SFC, PHB, LCA's, LCA Relocation Brackets & TA, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/4.10 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Thread Information