Black
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro SS

FRC installation issue

So I finally got around to installing the FRC I bought like 3 years ago from Afterthoughts. I got the right side in (the one which is next to the fuel lines) however I cannot manage to get the other one on. It looks like either my secondary air hose is in the way along with the computer wires that go kind of along with the air hose, and also it seems like my cruise control/throttle body cable gets in the way too. (Meaning the bracket which the cables connect too is in the way). Has this happened to anyone else? Am I doing something wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Black
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro SS

Seriously need some help. Riding with one FRC on only right now. Looks pretty retarded under my hood

BLACK
    2001 T/A VERT.

can u post a pic & point out were your having the prob.?

You've Seen The Butcher GoldenFlame's Avatar

2009 Silverado Z71
    2003 Corvette MN6 Black

Those computer wires had me the first time I did mine, I had to just hold them up with my left hand and guide the cover backwards with my right. When you get it back far enough they just pop into place.. Took me about 45 minutes the first time lol, now I can get them off and back on in 5

Black
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro SS

No, I don't own a camera, and the camera on my phone is shit. The picture would be too dark to really see what I am talking about. All I can say is that something is not letting me connect the FRC on that side. Mainly it seems like the cruise control/throttle body cable is not letting it connect fully because the bracket that holds those cables in place next to the throttle body is in the way of the FRC's path.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Passenger side was a pain in the arse the first time. I laid a soft towel over the FRC and then eased it back under the wires and cables. As stated, you need to hold the wire harness up out of the way. It will essentially lay on top of the cover once installed. After it was in place, I pulled the towel out and snapped the cover over the fuel rail.

Black
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Passenger side was a pain in the arse the first time. I laid a soft towel over the FRC and then eased it back under the wires and cables. As stated, you need to hold the wire harness up out of the way. It will essentially lay on top of the cover once installed. After it was in place, I pulled the towel out and snapped the cover over the fuel rail.
    Yeah, I tried that too after my first post and it works. I just have the problem with the cruise control/throttle body cable being in the way of the front of the FRC. Maybe it is because I have a aftermarket BBK TB? Or maybe the engine bay is a bit different in a 98 SS?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I have since relocated my cruise module behind the PCM -- but that would probably not help you with the bracket issue. Do you have your stock t/b to compare with the BBK?

Black
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I have since relocated my cruise module behind the PCM -- but that would probably not help you with the bracket issue. Do you have your stock t/b to compare with the BBK?
    No I don't. I bought the car with the BBK in place already. The bracket is like to the left of the TB (You looking at it from the front of your car) It is also stupid because the CC cable isn't even long enough to hook to the TB itself. It is just mounted on the bracket and "disabled" in a sense.

BLACK
    2001 T/A VERT.

Hey chaos,....is yours cut for an F-body??....my FRC's are notched for the cable

Black
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by TRANS-DAD View Post
    Hey chaos,....is yours cut for an F-body??....my FRC's are notched for the cable
    Yeah, They are cut for the F-body. They have the two slits on the fuel lines side and that is typically what they need to be. I think since I have a custom TB the bracket is also different from the normal stock one. It is just getting in the way of the FRC. I have a friend who says he can probably fix it up for me so I guess I will just wait and see until next weekend. THanks for trying to help though. I really appreciate everyones opinion.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Black
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro SS

Awesome, you are the man. That exactly sounds like my issue. I will try to fix that stuff due next Saturday. Thanks everyone for the help!

BLACK
    2001 T/A VERT.

Quote Originally Posted by chaosinfinite View Post
    Yeah, They are cut for the F-body. They have the two slits on the fuel lines side and that is typically what they need to be. I think since I have a custom TB the bracket is also different from the normal stock one. It is just getting in the way of the FRC. I have a friend who says he can probably fix it up for me so I guess I will just wait and see until next weekend. THanks for trying to help though. I really appreciate everyones opinion.
    Ok hope you get it goin!, Just to let you know mine is notched for the throttle cable.........the corvette is drive by wire & dosen't have a cable in the way so the FRC has to cut on the passenger side front for F-body

(Oh & the two slits on the driver side come on the vette also.. so that is not the F-body mod)
    Last edited by TRANS-DAD; 09-27-2010 at 03:43 AM.

Thread Information