Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

FINALLY! 1993-2002 Gauge Needles... "S86 Needles

This is a discussion on FINALLY! 1993-2002 Gauge Needles... "S86 Needles within the Appearance Section forums, part of the General Help category; Originally Posted by SVG210 do you have to recalibrate the speedometer for you custom Inlays? Not at all. The only ...

Join the PHK @ thephk.org Sommer86@6LE's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SVG210 View Post
    do you have to recalibrate the speedometer for you custom Inlays?
    Not at all. The only calibration needed is if you do the 200 mph cluster.

When we were creating the needles we consulted with our recalibration tech and we got a bunch of answers we needed regarding needles and weights and motors. The motors in the clusters are very strong for what they do. That said, even a heavier needle would still turn in the cluster very easily. The needles are not keyed, not even on LT1's. You can even spin the needles all you want and they will still work and the motors will set themselves. The motors (not the needle's position) will calibrate themselves when the cluster is plugged in. The motors will work as they need to, but the needles can/will look out of place if not positioned right.

All you do to fix that is get the car to operating temp and take a GOOD picture of the cluster (this is BEFORE YOU START ANY REMOVAL OF THE GAUGES)....and not a cell pic. Once it's apart and you get to the "press the needles on" stage, you'll see that they'll droop from where you originally put them on. Just pull them off again lightly and re-adjust them. Repeat until you get the perfect position....and it wont take long.

The last key to getting the needles on and to move well is to NOT press them on as hard as they can. As soon as their on, a lite press is all they need. The motor handles the rest.

It really is THAT simple. Once you do it, you'll see how simple it really is too.....and the fact that I've done it over 200 times in R&D helps too, lol.

Join the PHK
    2009 LS1.com Calendar Car

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

these make me wanna do naughty things to my car...

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by SandmanWs7 View Post
    Yeah figured the replacement already
    Well I guess I messed up puting it all back my speedometer doesn't work. The tach does but I have to go what feels like 35ish for it to start moving guess I should have left it alone.

Black
    2000 TA WS6

Click for full size

I'll bet the real Edelbrock/Dick Harrell Camaro doesn't have 133,509 miles on it!!!

NBM
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by tpilews View Post
    No, the steering column drops down when you remove the support bracket. That'll give you enough clearance to pull the cluster. Pretty easy job to remove the cluster. About 20 mins. Now, removing the needles and making sure they end up in the correct spot is a little tougher.
    No need to drop the steering column at all. Gauge cluster comes out without that dropping down. Worst case scenario all you have to do is pull the lens off the cluster before you pull it out and then it come out much easier...

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Well I guess I messed up puting it all back my speedometer doesn't work. The tach does but I have to go what feels like 35ish for it to start moving guess I should have left it alone.
    I might be able to help you... Shoot me a pm and I'll see if I can walk you through a fix.

NBM
    1998 Z28

Sounds like you just pushed your needles on too far...

SOM
    2002 SS

This is one area where I would like to make it appear more moder/sharper. Will be checking out the overlays and deciding on colors.!

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER View Post
    Yes, thats what it was. Thanks for offering help

Red
    2001 Trans Am

badass! best idea ever for our cars. I hope you guys keep making stuff

SOM
    2002 SS

Very cool. I like the guages stock but had some gripes and looks like you offer something that I have wished for !! Will you offer a package deal on the stainless insert, black background overlay (is this different than stock cant remember if stock is black too), and white or silver needles ?

ANy comparo shots of stock vs modified? I cant even remember what mine look like stock.

NBM
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    Very cool. I like the guages stock but had some gripes and looks like you offer something that I have wished for !! Will you offer a package deal on the stainless insert, black background overlay (is this different than stock cant remember if stock is black too), and white or silver needles ?

ANy comparo shots of stock vs modified? I cant even remember what mine look like stock.
    Just e-mail me and I'll take care of you...

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Yes, thats what it was. Thanks for offering help
    ^^ Exactly!!! And I can help you tweak them a bit more if you still need it. Just play with them a bit.

Arctic White
    1999 Z28

No need to drop the steering column at all. Gauge cluster comes out without that dropping down. Worst case scenario all you have to do is pull the lens off the cluster before you pull it out and then it come out much easier...
    Also, if you tip the top of the cluster back tward you and rotate the cluster around the column clockwise it will come out with the lens in place providing your tilt is adjusted all the way down.

NBM
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by McNord View Post
    Also, if you tip the top of the cluster back tward you and rotate the cluster around the column clockwise it will come out with the lens in place providing your tilt is adjusted all the way down.
    Nice . I did it once that way and could never remember again how the hell I got it out, lol!

NBM
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by McNord View Post
    I just realized you aren't on my account here for some reason... I'll send message to put you on.

SOM
    2002 SS

Can you modify the needles you sell a little so they get narrow near the tips like the stock ones? I looked at them closely today and I rather like how they are super narrow near the ends. If I had to choose a setup I would go with a black overlay that had km/hr only and no mph to save some clutter, the stainless trim piece to divide everything up and silver or white needles if they can be made really narrow.

NBM
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    Can you modify the needles you sell a little so they get narrow near the tips like the stock ones? I looked at them closely today and I rather like how they are super narrow near the ends. If I had to choose a setup I would go with a black overlay that had km/hr only and no mph to save some clutter, the stainless trim piece to divide everything up and silver or white needles if they can be made really narrow.
    During our testing Mike tried the narrower tips but the result was is really poor lighting when you try to color them, also slightly through the balance and weight off due to the material we use, hence the design we ended up going with...

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Here, I just took these just for you, 5abivt...

The very tip on the originals are maybe a millimeter smaller. The whole body of the needle is just a bit wider. And like Mark said, this way they light up better. The actualy shaft where they meet the cap is the same.

Hope this helps

Arctic White
    1999 Z28

I just realized you aren't on my account here for some reason... I'll send message to put you on.
    I see how its gonna be......I'm watching you.

lol no worries.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information