Bright Red
    98 Trans Am

Fiberglass hood or metal hood?!?!

I want a ws6 hood and ive been looking around at ws6 fiberglass hoods. But my dad said metal hoods are alot better?! Is that true?! If they are then i want one but the gm store is saying they are 3200 just for the hood not painted or the ram air package for it. Thats way to expensive!
    Please help me! I wanna know if fiberglass hoods are either good or bad and what the prices are for them are!

black
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

I bought a fiberglass SS hood for my camaro. It is a lot lighter which was a huge bonus to get the weight off the front end.. and it was much cheaper. The negatives: some aftermarket fiberglass hoods don't line up perfectly. It would be kindof tough to notice though, it was not a big deal for me. More importantly, fiberglass expands and contracts with heat. I did not know this and my paint job cracked. I think it only does this in the beginning, but to avoid it I am adding that flex solution to the paint next time I paint it. I thinnk it should solve it (a paint shop should know). Overall, i think fiberglass hoods are worth it. They cost a lot less (300 for me), are ram air functional (most), and lighten up the front end. Go for it

Bright Red
    98 Trans Am

Thanks man! Do you know where the best place would be to buy one?! Because i wont mine to fit right and i deff dont want the paint or the hood to crack! I dont know much about fiberglass hoods so thats why im asking so many questions haha and i just want the best product!
    Last edited by JmGetz93; 06-23-2009 at 07:00 AM.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

i have a fiberglass hood and its great. west coast creations hood

Bright Red
    98 Trans Am

Have you ever had any problems with it?
    How much was your hood?

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by JmGetz93 View Post
    Have you ever had any problems with it?
    How much was your hood?
    bought it with it on...no problems

Bright Red
    98 Trans Am

Oh alright cool!
    Thanks!

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

The factory ws6 hood is fiberglass

Bright Red
    98 Trans Am

Well i called the pontiac house and they said they had metal hoods but they were for 3200

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

I have a fiberglass "Ultra Z" hood. And it has been great other than the gaps are a little bigger. It is a lot lighter and no cracks. Remeber there is diferent quality and thickness of fiberglass. When I was looking for mine there were some that were lighter (race style), but I was afraid they would have problems. Also if you have a metal hood now you will have to change the arms that rasie the hood.

Bright Red
    98 Trans Am

Yeah i have a metal hood right now. I just dont wanna make a mistake buying a fiberglass hood and having problems with it or i cracking.

black
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

I got mine for 300 from a guy in missouri online.. so im not sure the best place for quality/price.. every now and then you'll find deals. but 3200 is ridiculous.. good luck with it

Awaiting Activation

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28 A4

There is a vast difference between the traditional fiberglass hood and GM's OEM SMC (Sheet Molded Compound) hoods. SMC is a material that is far superior to the traditional (polyresin) fiberglass. SMC is stronger and more rigid than polyresin. SMC is also smooth on both sides unlike polyresin which will be smooth on one side and show the rough fibers on the other side.

If you do decide to buy an aftermarket hood, I would highly advise you to take a look at it in person and have an opportunity to test fit it onto your vehicle. Also, take into account that polyresin fiberglass parts take a lot of prep work to get them looking right. All fiberglass hoods will have many imperfections like pinholes, excess gelcoat, waves, etc. In addition to the paint, there will be many hours needed to get the parts smooth so labor costs will add up quickly.

Artic White
    2002 Z28

Ws6 and SS hoods were both fiberglass. I have never had a problem with a fiberglass hood. If im not mistaking ever Firebird and Camaro in this thread has a Fiberglass hood. http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115880
    Last edited by homerunhtr21; 06-25-2009 at 06:31 AM.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by homerunhtr21 View Post
    Ws6 and SS hoods were both fiberglass! I have never had a problem with a fiberglass hood! I have had great luck with fiberglass! If im not mistaking ever Firebird and Camaro in this thread has a Fiberglass hood! http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115880
    are you sure they weren't SMC .i am pretty sure the SS and WS6 are both SMC hoods

Artic White
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    are you sure they weren't SMC .i am pretty sure the SS and WS6 are both SMC hoods
    Yes I think your right about the SMC. It is like a fiberglass but stronger from what I hear.

Pewter
    2001 Z28

They are SMC, they must be better than fiberglass. the inside of the doors and shit are also SMC. I would not get a fiberglass hood after my experience. Luckily I bought it local so I was able to return it, fit like total shit and they will eventually have stress cracks. I would hate to order one off ebay and be stuck with a $500 piece of shit, cuz the one I had was total crap. Not to mention one of my buddies who bought fiberglass stuff on the net and it got broken every single time in the mail like 20 times shipping back and forth.

Thread Information