In need of another LS1 00blacktransam112's Avatar

Black
    2000 Pontiac TA

Angry DRL keeps burning out!!!!!!!!!

My driver side daytime running light burns out like evey 2 weeks. I dont know whether the realy is messing up or what. anyone else have a similar problem??? let me know

Red
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Yes im having the exact same problem, ive now replaced the sockets, bulbs, and checked the wiring myself and took it to a local shop for them to check out. we came to a conclusion that theirs nothing wrong with the wiring at all but its actually my aftermarket housing thats not allowing the bulb to "breathe" correctly and its overheating and melting itself / blowing... im in the process of painting my stock ones and im gonna see how that works out.

hope this helps kinda...

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Try some led replacement bulbs

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Make sure there is no crack in the housing alowing water to get in-that will make them burst. I noticed mine had a very tiny sliver crack over it, so i dubed silicon over the crack. It should help, b/c I'm pretty sure that was a quick fix many years ago on my old bird.

But ya, water in those housings =

white

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    Make sure there is no crack in the housing alowing water to get in-that will make them burst. I noticed mine had a very tiny sliver crack over it, so i dubed silicon over the crack. It should help, b/c I'm pretty sure that was a quick fix many years ago on my old bird.

But ya, water in those housings =
    and get the rite bulb by part number some bulbs are high intensity

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

After replacing the sockets and drilling more drain holes in the housing, I burned another socket and then I just did the DRL delete and I'm way happier now.

Bulbs get too hot for the DRL duty and therefore burn up the sockets or get water in them.

No problem so far.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

I fixed the cracks and bought two new sockets and keep them greased often. No issues for now.

Red
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by BIG GUNS View Post
    After replacing the sockets and drilling more drain holes in the housing, I burned another socket and then I just did the DRL delete and I'm way happier now.

Bulbs get too hot for the DRL duty and therefore burn up the sockets or get water in them.

No problem so far.
    expand on this for me, its seem like a great idea to remove one of the filaments from constantly being on, really all you need is the flasher, how did u go about doing this?

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

I had this problem all the time also. As Jaison said, tiny cracks develope in the housing. Mine were in the lenses in particular.

I bought new housings, and sockets since they were horribly corroded/melted, over 2 years ago and haven't replaced a bulb sense.

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by 64MonGooSe64 View Post
    expand on this for me, its seem like a great idea to remove one of the filaments from constantly being on, really all you need is the flasher, how did u go about doing this?
    theres a real easy way but, if you have a4 car you will lose the BRAKE warning light on the dash when p-brake lever is up, m6 car you lose remote hatch release,[ altho i still dont know if its the under dash switch or the key fob remote, or both], and you lose the auto headlight function. pull your radio out of the dash, look in the hole and straight in just to the right is a black box with 2 plugs on the bottom. unplug the smaller one on the right. thats it. another way that doesnt make as many sacrifices involves pulling the box out, opening it up and soldering a jumper between 2 of the pins on the circuit board. theres a thread for that with pictures around here somewhere.

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Quote Originally Posted by 64MonGooSe64 View Post
    Here ya go: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...ht=drl+disable

black trans am

i just cut mine out looks cleen and they been out for a while and never got pulled over..

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by blackbirdbrain89 View Post
    i just cut mine out looks cleen and they been out for a while and never got pulled over..
    all you need is parking lights and turnsignals, no laws that i know requiring drls. could be somewhere i guess.

black
    02 vette vert

thats the one i was refering to. you dont have to pull the module out tho [mine was stuck hard anyway] just pop the smaller connector on the right off. the link in post #6 is the more involved one i was refering to also.

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Quote Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
    thats the one i was refering to. you dont have to pull the module out tho [mine was stuck hard anyway] just pop the smaller connector on the right off. the link in post #6 is the more involved one i was refering to also.
    There is one plug you won't get off and I can't remember which one that was but, it was a bich so, I unplugged the one that did unplug.

The thread was unspecific on which plug since there is two.

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Yeah, it was specific. It said the blue one but, I suspect I got the right one

black
    02 vette vert

Yeah, it was specific. It said the blue one but, I suspect I got the right one
    looking in the radio hole at the module the larger plug is to the left, smaller one to the right is the right one. i would imagine they would all be laid out the same so you dont have to look for colors.

Thread Information