Silver
    2002 Z28

Dash and Leather cleaning, carpets too

Simple, what do you guys use to clean your dash and plastic parts, your leather, and your carpet? I notice a lot of peoples pics of there cars look real black and slick on the inside... i know armoral works well but messes up your shit, is there any other way?

I Think, Therefore Z-28 Corvettekid82's Avatar

Triple Black
    2001 Z-28 Vert

Funny you should ask that question, I did all of the above yesterday..
    You dont have to but if your interior is DIRTY, which mine was, it helps to remove all of it. Just takes a socket set and a phillips head to take it all out. Only special item you will need is a deep 13mm socket to remove the front seats. I left the upper porton of the rear seats in. If you do want to remove them you need a torqs bit to remove them. Anyway. I cleaned all of the plastic pieces inside, with a sponge and mild soap. It will strip all of the protectant and stuff off of em and leave it nice and clean. My interior, although it looked good still, was extreamly dirty. After the soap and water, they all got a rinse under running water and then towel dried with a no lint towel. Im a fan of Formula 2001, so thats what I used. To each his own on what product you want to dress them with. I've heard Zaino makes a great product, but never ordered any... if it was available locally I'd probably try some. The leather I just used the same spounge and mild soap.. dried them and used Mothers Leather Conditioner. Then it was onto the carpet. Steam cleaned it with a bissel and used their "Natural Orange" cleaner. It has orange oil in it and works GREAT on soda stains (which my friends seem to love to leave for me) and it smells great too. Reassemble and you're done. Its a long process but it looks brand new when you're done!

Heres a pic with all the interior removed. I left the dash in and just cleaned it in place. Note the soda stains all on the passengers side

These are all of the pieces I removed and cleaned inside

Everything going back in.. carpets cleaned and convertible top switch panel being prepped for my new "Mod" lol

$ shot

New mod:

Most products will yeild similar results and its all personal preferance wether or not you like Armorall's slippry feeling (wether or not its harmful), leather conditioner which leaves seats supple, without a coating or just mild slickness like the Formula 2001.

Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

wow nice!!!!! im going to do that tomorrow!!!! nice nice nice

The GM badge on the top switch panel is a nice touch. I might have to look in to that.

Brian
    '02 Camaro SS Convertible: The Garage...
    September, 2007 COTM

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

now that's a deep cleaning

1 BAD ASS BOWTIE StangKiller615's Avatar

Black on Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Corvettekid82 View Post
    Funny you should ask that question, I did all of the above yesterday..
    You dont have to but if your interior is DIRTY, which mine was, it helps to remove all of it. Just takes a socket set and a phillips head to take it all out. Only special item you will need is a deep 13mm socket to remove the front seats. I left the upper porton of the rear seats in. If you do want to remove them you need a torqs bit to remove them. Anyway. I cleaned all of the plastic pieces inside, with a sponge and mild soap. It will strip all of the protectant and stuff off of em and leave it nice and clean. My interior, although it looked good still, was extreamly dirty. After the soap and water, they all got a rinse under running water and then towel dried with a no lint towel. Im a fan of Formula 2001, so thats what I used. To each his own on what product you want to dress them with. I've heard Zaino makes a great product, but never ordered any... if it was available locally I'd probably try some. The leather I just used the same spounge and mild soap.. dried them and used Mothers Leather Conditioner. Then it was onto the carpet. Steam cleaned it with a bissel and used their "Natural Orange" cleaner. It has orange oil in it and works GREAT on soda stains (which my friends seem to love to leave for me) and it smells great too. Reassemble and you're done. Its a long process but it looks brand new when you're done!

Heres a pic with all the interior removed. I left the dash in and just cleaned it in place. Note the soda stains all on the passengers side
    Click for full size
    These are all of the pieces I removed and cleaned inside
    Click for full size
    Everything going back in.. carpets cleaned and convertible top switch panel being prepped for my new "Mod" lol
    Click for full size
    $ shot
    Click for full size
    New mod:
    Click for full size

Most products will yeild similar results and its all personal preferance wether or not you like Armorall's slippry feeling (wether or not its harmful), leather conditioner which leaves seats supple, without a coating or just mild slickness like the Formula 2001.
    Lokks great, like a brand new one. BTW how long did it take you to do all of this?

I Think, Therefore Z-28 Corvettekid82's Avatar

Triple Black
    2001 Z-28 Vert

It took about a full 5 hours. Thats in the florida heat and rain.. so I had to take breaks in between.

Oh, and Hi Brian! Any chance you're going out to the Daytona cruise today? I got that GM badge for free... I work in rental car.. and they dont notice if a small badge like that "falls off".

Silver
    2002 35th Ann Z28

The best to use is the Meguiars NXT Interior Cleaner.....That stuff is awesome with the dash and door panels....For the seats I use the new Armorall Gel like conditioner in the brown bottle....To each their own..

John
    Click for full size

Too many mods too list......

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

I hate armorall with a passion. I think it smells like ass and doesn't do a good job. I use BlackMagic interior/dash/leather and it'll make the whole interior about 2 shades darker + it smells like sweet carrots [don't know why, but i dig that]. Amazing results; cures after a day so it's not as slippery but ther's still some slickness. I normally use it heavily on everything and lightly on my seat, especially the part where my ass goes so i don't slide off during a hardcore break check.

Custom Car Emblems
    from third_shift|studios
    Pittsburgh Car Detailing & Paint Protection from ts|s detailing
    jaison tortorea

Thread Information