Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Custon LED turn signals for F-Body mirrors?

This is a discussion on Custon LED turn signals for F-Body mirrors? within the Appearance Section forums, part of the General Help category; Originally Posted by 9t8z28 If by moduels you mean the l.e.d. housings, no, they are exactly the same left to ...

Black
    1999 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    If by moduels you mean the l.e.d. housings, no, they are exactly the same left to right.
    Yes, that's what I thought. I wasn't sure if I needed to get a left & a right or if it didn't matter.

Thanks!

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Here are the tools and steps that I used to complete my project.

1) After you have purchased the L.E.D.’s, you will need to make sure they fit. Run the mirror in so that the outer edge is exposed. Putt your hand behind the glass and pull out at a slight angle towards the window glass. It will pop and make a horrible sound as if you just broke it, but relax, it is designed to have a lot of give to prevent breakage. Unbolt the mirror shell from the car. There will be 3 nuts holding it on. You should be able to take it off by just removing the triangular cover. Lay the mirror on a smooth surface so you don’t scratch the mirror. Remember, the mirroring is on the outside of the glass!

2) Next, place the L.E.D. housings behind the mirror. If they don’t fit, you will need to do some trimming. (The GM ones fit perfect!) After you have test fitted them, mark their permanent location. I used a razor and traced around the housing.

3) The template is the most important part. I can't tell you how to make it but it requires some measurements, allot of patience and you may make 1 or 2 of them before you get it right. Make sure that when you place the template on top of the housing, the L.E.D.’s will be directly below the holes. Note that in most cases the l.e.d.'s are on an angle. I took this into consideration and placed the holes about an 1/8th of an inch out towards the outer edge of the arrow.

4) The first tool I used was the stone. I laid the template on the backside of the mirror and then proceeded to mark the locations of each hole with the stone. It works real well because it will not grip and break the plastic or glass like a drill bit will. Then I took the template off and used the stone to drill the hole down to the 3M tape. Use light pressure. And don't worry, if the stone contacts the glass, it will not scratch it and even if it does, you will never, ever see it!

5) Next step was to use the cutter bit. If you notice, the stone has a point so it will not cut a straight hole but it will be angled. The cutter cleans up the edges real nice, but be careful because it can take off on you and make a nice circle into an ugly oval. It is possible to use a drill bit here, but once again, use light pressure. Be sure to watch your depth. You will see the 3M adhesive at the base of the hole. Leave it be until the next step.

6) Now, to get the glue off I used a plastic wire brush. You can use a steel wire brush
    but I didn't have one. Insert the brush into the hole and use light pressure at a low speed. The glue will come off and the glass will appear. Hold the mirror up to a light ever so often to check your progress.

7) Place the L.E.D.’s in position. I recommend testing them to make sure they are placed so that each bulb shines through each hole. I used a jumper box but you can use your car battery. I then used a plastic specific glue to secure them in position. After I let it cure, I made sure that the electronics were sealed off completely from the environment. I used a hot glue that hardens real fast. It may not sound like something that you wouldn't use on your car but it works really well! Even though the factory ones are not waterproof, I wasn’t taking any chances.

8) After all glue has dried, I got a 2’ long piece of small guage speaker wire and connected it to the L.E.D.’s.
    2’ may seem like to much but it will allow you to make the connection where ever you want.

9) It is now time to seperate the mirror shell from the motor. There will be (2) screws on the inside and (1) on the outside. Pull the rubber boot out along with the motor assembly. Now take the lead wire from the L.E.D.’s and feed it through the boot, then reinstall the motor assembly. The mirror installs into the mirror shell exactly how it came off. Install the mirror back onto the car, hook up your wires and flip the switch!

I did not cover the installation of the wiring through the door and under the dash, but I will soon.

This is a rough copy so check back to see if I updated any of this.
    Last edited by 9t8z28; 03-06-2008 at 05:39 AM.

Black
    1999 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    Here are the tools and steps that I used to complete my project.

Click for full size

After you have purchased the L.E.D.ís, you will need to make sure they fit. Run the mirror in so that the outer edge is exposed. Putt your hand behind the glass and pull out at a slight angle towards the window glass. It will pop and make a horrible sound as if you just broke it, but relax, it is designed to have a lot of give to prevent breakage. Unbolt the mirror shell from the car. There will be 3 nuts holding it on. You should be able to take it off by just removing the triangular cover. Lay the mirror on a smooth surface so you donít scratch the mirror. Remember, the mirroring is on the outside of the glass!

Next, place the L.E.D. housings behind the mirror. If they donít fit, you will need to do some trimming. (The GM ones fit perfect!) After you have test fitted them, mark their permanent location. I used a razor and traced around the housing.

The template is the most important part. I can't tell you how to make it but it requires some measurements, allot of patience and you may make 1 or 2 of them before you get it right. Make sure that when you place the template on top of the housing, the L.E.D.ís will be directly below the holes. Note that in most cases the l.e.d.'s are on an angle. I took this into consideration and placed the holes about an 1/8th of an inch out towards the outer edge of the arrow.

The first tool I used was the stone. I laid the template on the backside of the mirror and then proceeded to mark the locations of each hole with the stone. It works real well because it will not grip and break the plastic or glass like a drill bit will. Then I took the template off and used the stone to drill the hole down to the 3M tape. Use light pressure. And don't worry, if the stone contacts the glass, it will not scratch it and even if it does, you will never, ever see it!

Next step was to use the cutter bit. If you notice, the stone has a point so it will not cut a straight hole but it will be angled. The cutter cleans up the edges real nice, but be careful because it can take off on you and make a nice circle into an ugly oval. It is possible to use a drill bit here, but once again, use light pressure. Be sure to watch your depth. You will see the 3M adhesive at the base of the hole. Leave it be until the next step.

Now, to get the glue off I used a plastic wire brush. You can use a steel wire brush
    but I didn't have one. Insert the brush into the hole and use light pressure at a low speed. The glue will come off and the glass will appear. Hold the mirror up to a light ever so often to check your progress.

Place the L.E.D.ís in position. I recommend testing them to make sure they are placed so that each bulb shines through each hole. I used a jumper box but you can use your car battery. I then used a plastic specific glue to secure them in position. After I let it cure, I made sure that the electronics were sealed off completely from the environment. I used a hot glue that hardens real fast. It may not sound like something that you would use on your car but it works really good! Even though the factory ones are not waterproof, I wasnít taking any chances.

After all glue has dried, I got a 2í long piece of small guage speaker wire and connected it to the L.E.D.ís. 2í may seem like to much but it will allow you to make the connection where ever you want.

It is now time to take the mirror apart. There will be (2) screws on the inside and (1) on the outside. Pull the rubber boot out along with the motor assembly. Now take the lead wire from the L.E.D.ís and feed it through the boot, then reinstall the motor assembly. The mirror installs into the mirror shell exactly how it came off. Install the mirror back onto the car, hook up your wires and flip the switch!

I did not cover the installation of the wiring through the door and under the dash, but I will soon.

This is a rough copy so check back to see if I updated any of this.
    Excellent write-up!
    Thanks!

thats awsome man, i guess i no what i need to do next to my car

Pewter
    2001 NHRA Trans Am

that is very sexy. i wish had those babies

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

I was thinking of this the other day... It would be really awesome if someone made flashing firebird logo

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    I was thinking of this the other day... It would be really awesome if someone made flashing firebird logo
    Hmm, that would be cool!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information