Convertible appearance

This is a discussion on Convertible appearance within the Appearance Section forums, part of the General Help category; I need help deciding on an appearance mod for my 2000 WS6 Convertible. It is going to paint and body ...

Navy Blue
    2000 WS6 Convertible

Convertible appearance

I need help deciding on an appearance mod for my 2000 WS6 Convertible. It is going to paint and body this summer and I am trying to decide whether or not to enhance the appearance beyond paint and new decals. I love having a convertible, but I can't get past the "flat plane" that exists aft of the a-pillar with only the headrests to break up the line. The lack of rear spoiler does not help the issue. Has anyone had experience with those RKSport "double hump" toneau covers? Are they worth it. Are they just for park n show, or do they stay in place at highway speed? If these are not a good idea, does anyone have a better solution? Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

There is plenty of wing on the trans-am, the car can do 168mph(At least t-top no prob) no need to modify w/ perfection if you know what I mean. Are you talking about the dash in relation to the a-pillar?
    Last edited by c5z28; 04-15-2010 at 04:58 PM.

NBM
    99 TA

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Bird View Post
    I need help deciding on an appearance mod for my 2000 WS6 Convertible. It is going to paint and body this summer and I am trying to decide whether or not to enhance the appearance beyond paint and new decals. I love having a convertible, but I can't get past the "flat plane" that exists aft of the a-pillar with only the headrests to break up the line. The lack of rear spoiler does not help the issue. Has anyone had experience with those RKSport "double hump" toneau covers? Are they worth it. Are they just for park n show, or do they stay in place at highway speed? If these are not a good idea, does anyone have a better solution? Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    I think those toneau covers look awesome. I remember seeing one at a car show several yrs ago and I think it added alot, if you dont mind losing the rear seats. I didn't get to ask the owner about if he had to remove them while driving, but I assume that you can leave them on and drive.

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    There is plenty of wing on the trans-am, the car can do 168mph(At least t-top no prob) no need to modify w/ perfection if you know what I mean. Are you talking about the dash in relation to the a-pillar?

And I believe the convertibles have the formula/firebird spoilers, not the high T/A spoilers...but I could be wrong.
    Last edited by peterlawl84; 04-15-2010 at 07:24 PM.

Navy Blue
    2000 WS6 Convertible

No, I am referring to the side profile of the entire car. On the convertible all of the muscular lines are in front of the windshield. The rear deck is long and flat. I like the way a corvette rag top or any topless two seater adds character lines behind the seats. Even other 2 + 2 convertible sports cars have a roll bar or something that draws the cabin together thus breaking up the long plane that continues aft from the windshield. Since the rear seat is essentially useless, the thought of something occupy that space (toneau cover, roll bar, etc) might be an option.
    Last edited by Blue Bird; 04-15-2010 at 07:44 PM. Reason: I left something out

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

No, I am referring to the side profile of the entire car. On the convertible all of the muscular lines are in front of the windshield. The rear deck is long and flat. I like the way a corvette rag top or any topless two seater adds character lines behind the seats. Even other 2 + 2 convertible sports cars have a roll bar or something that draws the cabin together thus breaking up the long plane that continues aft from the windshield. Since the rear seat is essentially useless, the thought of something occupy that space (toneau cover, roll bar, etc) might be an option.
    i like:

as for the tonneau:

the only firebird that could pull it off was the third gen IMO
    Last edited by justinmc978; 04-15-2010 at 09:30 PM.

Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

There was a guy on here that had a tonneau. It would stay on while you drive. You could pick up a light bar. There was one for sale on here.

Navy Blue
    2000 WS6 Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    There was a guy on here that had a tonneau. It would stay on while you drive. You could pick up a light bar. There was one for sale on here.
    Thank you, I knew there had to be at least one person that would have the answer, although I am surprised there weren't more. The convertibles are not that rare.

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

I completely agree. It's the only thing I don't like about the convertible firebirds, the looong flatness behind the driver. For my 2 cents, you're on the right track. I think that one with the tonneau cover looks sweet. I have also seen somewhere where a guy added a raised Trans Am coupe spoiler to a convertible. That looked good too, also broke up the flatness...

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

i had the toneau cover and sold it. it is 2 pieces and big. pain in the ass to get on then off. i would go with the roll bar/ cage. or a light bar, toneau as last resort.

i was going to get it painted but sold it first.
    Last edited by 1fastcamarosss11; 04-20-2010 at 09:43 AM.

Thread Information