Concept Side View Mirror Turn LED Signals

This is a discussion on Concept Side View Mirror Turn LED Signals within the Appearance Section forums, part of the General Help category; Ok, i had an idea for the back side of our side view mirrors. I know there is a company ...

Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

Concept Side View Mirror Turn LED Signals

Ok, i had an idea for the back side of our side view mirrors. I know there is a company out there that adds an LED marker to the back of the mirror but for like $500 seems a bit expensive... So i was thinking of designing one from scratch and wanted to c what everyone thought... Here is the factory rear side of the mirror

Notice how there is a fork like shape on the back of it. The top of the fork seems a bit recessed where as the bottom of it seems flush with the rear dome of the mirror.

PS Not a big fan of the way the LED signal looks in this picture at all. IMO

My concept was to get this type of LED turn signal into our side mirrors.

Now, im not using this exact one, im going to fab up something from the start and see how it looks. Might start with a colored piece of cardboard or some custom cut plastic to get an idea how it would look. Then if i like it i might move to see what parts i can get for it.

I know the fork on the 2nd picture is tight together so i would have to either make the LED the length of the mirror and have the top fork dip into the crevas on the top and make the bottom one come out like half way on to the bottom fork... I think it had potential to look bad ass...

Now since there LEDs, i might be able to make the LEDs sequence and progressively light up from the fork back to the start...

These are just idea's im spitting out. I wanted to try something different to give the car a more unique look . I think this type of LED turn signal might look nice on the back of the mirror!

Your opinions?

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

seems like a pretty cool idea. i have always wanted a car that has turn signals on the backside of the mirror.
    2012 Regal GS

2004 Cadillac CTS-V (Sold)
    2001 Camaro SS (Sold)
    1999 Camaro Z28 (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by 2001camaroSS View Post
    seems like a pretty cool idea. i have always wanted a car that has turn signals on the backside of the mirror.
    Yea, was thinking of getting a mirror from the junkyard and see what i could fab up. LEDs and modules are pretty cheap so i think ill be alright giving it a few shots to get it right.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by NeeD4SpeeD View Post
    Yea, was thinking of getting a mirror from the junkyard and see what i could fab up. LEDs and modules are pretty cheap so i think ill be alright giving it a few shots to get it right.
    i just think it may be hard to integrate something like that and yet have it look clean/good. at the same time i dont have the skills to do something like this so maybe that's why i feel that way.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

I'm in too see this one!

White
    1998 Trans Am

I would imagine it it.like flush mounting hid kits.in roll land and tailgateson a pickup. Just takes some knowledge and patience. Like to see it though since.I don't have the ambitions for those projects anymore. Body.and lip kits ate bad enough.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Going to start probably after this weekend as im going to L.A. for a convention. I'll post up some pictures of progress and such.

I have a bunch of ideas of what i want it to look like and am extremely picky about they way things look on the car. If they don't look super clean (Factory installed like) im not putting them on. With that said, it will take me a bit of profecting to get this the way i like it.

It will be flush with the mirror and going to do my best to maybe actually put a coating over it so that when you run your hand over it you cant feel the difference between the signal and mirror...

Well see... Im hoping that i can do a good enough job where it would look good.

Quote Originally Posted by 2001camaroSS View Post
    i just think it may be hard to integrate something like that and yet have it look clean/good. at the same time i dont have the skills to do something like this so maybe that's why i feel that way.
    Going to be a bunch of work to get it right But I think with some imagination and a bunch of junkyard mirrors it could come out nice lol

Thread Information