Black
    1998 Trans am WS6

Clearcoat pealing HELP

The hood and rear quarter panel on my 98 Trans am is starting to peel and flake off pretty bad. I know it can be expensive to get it sanded down and repainted and cleared. From what I have heard this happens to a lot of GM vehicles and its not just Cameros and Trans ams.

I know this must of happened to other people. My question is if anyone contacted GM customer service and got them to flip the bill for the repair.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

Considering your car is fifteen years old now, I somehow doubt that GM is going to entertain the idea of fixing your car on their dime. Any warranties dealing with the body and paint have surely expired by now so it's on you to get it fixed.
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28 A4
    SLP cold air intake/lid, SLP smooth bellow, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Magnaflow exhaust, BMR STB, adjustable Panhard rod, SFC's, LCA's, 1LE sway bars, cross-drilled rotors

Black
    1998 Trans am WS6

Thats is kinda what I figured. Say I do get the affected areas fixed. Am I wasting money because the rest of the car may do it later?

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 98ramairguy View Post
    Thats is kinda what I figured. Say I do get the affected areas fixed. Am I wasting money because the rest of the car may do it later?
    You're better off in the long run getting the entire car done, at least in my opinion.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

If your going to fix it do it right if you can and do a complete repaint. With the age of the paint its going to have to be blended if you just do a panel or two. I had to do it after my car got hit in a parking lot since the insurance would only cover that. Paint was only 5 yrs old at the time so its not too noticeable. On a 15 yr old paint job I imagine it would be a lot harder and costlier.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Black
    1998 Trans am WS6

Thats what I was afraid of. I want the car to be nice and shine but I really didnt want to drop $6,000 to get the whole thing painted. What does a good paint job cost. I know it would have to be all stripped down to primer and redone. Any ideas?

If I don't get the whole thing redone and just do the affected areas is it likely that more of it will delaminate as the years go on?

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

I've seen guys on here get paint jobs from places like Maaco for around $1k. I don't know how involved those kind of paint jobs are. Best thing to do would be to find a reputable shop in your area and see what it would cost to repaint your car.

Black
    1998 Trans am WS6

I doubt a $1000 paint job would solve the delaminate problem. My main concern is the parts of the car that still look good now, will it start flaking later. Has anyone got good information from someone who knows a lot about paint?
    1998 Trans am Ws6, T56 : SLP Lid, K&N Air Filter, Smooth Bellows, Granatelli air foil, LS6 Intake, SLP Harmonic Balancer pulley, QTP 1 3/4" headers and Y-pipe, LS7 Clutch & flywheel, Hurst Billet Pro shifter,Tick Master Cylinder, UMI LCA relocation kit, UMI LCA, UMI Panhard Bar, Tuned by Frost

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

My old 1990 Beretta was sideswiped and I took it to Maaco for a full respray since the taxi company paid for the repairs. Came out great.

Thread Information