red
    04 pontiac gto

cleaning under the hood

i see so many of u guys cleaned up the enigine compartment really nice.how do u get it so clean(what products u use to clean the grease and suff)also i seen parts that looked polished what do u use to polish them and stuff to get them to shine.and last but not least i even seen people install mirrors on the inside of the hood.where do u get those from?i want whats under my hood to look as good as the rest of my car please help

two tone
    2003 harley davidson f150

i've always used simple green to clean my bays in my last 5 vehicles. spray it on... for the abs use a brush if you need to... then spray the bay off with water constantly moving the water back and forth.. dont keep it concentrated in one area for too long.

for polishing i use diff. coarse rubbing compounds starting with a coarse then work to a really fine compound then finally polishing compounds.

renips (spinner designs) sells a lot of diff. mirror products that are great quality from those i've talked to.

www.evlls1.com/ls1.html for other tips =)
    Last edited by EVL LS1; 01-14-2006 at 12:55 AM.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

also spinner premium designs, a sponsor of our site sells the mirrors

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

On my camaro i sprayed down the whole engine bay with simple green concentrate, and i then used engine degreaser by GUNK, on the real grimy areas.

When you do this you want a totally cool engine, spray on your cleaners and let them sit for a hour or so then hose them off with a good flow of water but not a jet, again not letting it spray on a particular area for too long, once all rinsed off let the car sit for a hour then start it up and let it run for 20 min or just go driving

this is exactly what i did and it worked great, made a little steam when i took it for a drive but that's expected, the results were great it looked like new under there.
    98' SS Convertible Camaro-76k-Build # 1471, Cragar SS rims, RK SFC's, MAC Panhard, LSX Tune, Shaner S3,
    SLP:short thro,Strut tower brace,fan switch
    MTI Power induction kit,40 Series muffler,Pacesetter LT's + ORY,12 CD changer,3800lbs
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/787506/1

Beast
    I use the same basic procedure as ss~zoso~ss... however after the drive I always wipe down the plastic parts with some plastic treatment product (like armor-all). My rationalle is that simple green isn't great for the plastic, and I don't want to dry it out and fade the black color.

Mark

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by Beast
    I use the same basic procedure as ss~zoso~ss... however after the drive I always wipe down the plastic parts with some plastic treatment product (like armor-all). My rationalle is that simple green isn't great for the plastic, and I don't want to dry it out and fade the black color.

Mark
    Haha, come a few hours west of ya to the panhandle where the winds blow 20 mph on a slightly breexy day and they get up to 40-50 mph quite regularly. I used armor all one time and one whole day later everything under the hood was brown with a very substantial layer of dirt

White
    2003 Ram 2500

r those mirrors good for DD. I really want them but not sure if they will do ok on a DD

I use Zaino in my engine bay. Once you clean your engine bay really good once, then all you have to do is to maintain it. Also, you'll need lots of elbow grease to keep it looking clean all the time!

Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by z_driver1
    Haha, come a few hours west of ya to the panhandle where the winds blow 20 mph on a slightly breexy day and they get up to 40-50 mph quite regularly. I used armor all one time and one whole day later everything under the hood was brown with a very substantial layer of dirt
    I've driven up that way before... I was driving a moving van with white knuckles thinking to myself "where's the damn tornado?"

Mark

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

For mine everytime the car gets cleaned the engine gets sprayed with rinse then sprayed with no spot. Everytime I pop my hood people ask how I keep it so clean.. Just maintain it, if you have let it go use the above cleaners then just rinse it every couple of weeks and armorall the plastic.. Looks great always... Of course before a show you need to give a little better detailed clean but maintaing will make it real easy.

Thread Information