cigarette burns in grey headliner

This is a discussion on cigarette burns in grey headliner within the Appearance Section forums, part of the General Help category; My new to me 2000 TA has two very small cigarette burns in the grey headliner near the front of ...

Sebring Silver
    2000 Trans Am

cigarette burns in grey headliner

My new to me 2000 TA has two very small cigarette burns in the grey headliner near the front of the t tops. My first thought was to dot it with a grey sharpie to cover the tan foam color underneath, but Sharpie does not make a grey color marker. Any ideas to cover them up?

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

If you can get a sample piece of headliner from an upholstery shop I would cut and glue the small pieces in to cover the holes. JMO
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Sharpie makes a metallic silver
    My question is how a car ends up with cigarette burns in the headliner

Sebring Silver
    2000 Trans Am

They smoked! Tip the cigarette out the t top, miss a few times. I think I'll just cut a small piece from under the sunvisor mount and glue it on.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

So damn used to my hardtop i didn't think about it lol. Kind of dumb imo to throw a cigarette out the ttop when there's a window to the side. Any local junkyards in your area you could snag some material from?

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

If you remove your A-pillar panel, you'll probably find enough headliner fabric tucked behind it to nip out a small patch. Curious as to what adhesive you use and the final result.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Please take some before and after pics and post them up.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

IMHO, I would go to a yard and see if you can find an intact headliner and replace the whole thing, especialy if you don't smoke. Glueing, coloring, cutting and patching will likely look worse than the burn spots as the foam behind it may melt depending on the glue you use and a patch just looks tacky. If you are not a smoker then a replacement will likely last the life of the car without issue. Here in my area the yard I use as 15 T-top cars lined up so I would imagine you could find at least one in your area of the rust belt pretty easily. You can use the head liner from any 93-2002 v6 or v8 F-body as nothing was changed throught the years. Or you can go the hard route and recover the one you have.

Just my .02 and good luck.

Personally I'm a smoker, but I never smoke in my vehicles for just this sort of reason. Also the last thing a non-smoking passenger wants to do is get a ride in a stinkin' ashtray..lol

Sebring Silver
    2000 Trans Am

I'm gonna try some markers from the kids crayon box first. If that don't work I'll snip a little fabric from under where the visors bolted. The holes really are small, smaller than a BB. If i do go that route I'll use crazy glue. I'll take some pics. I did find a new headliner on line for $225, but I'd rather dump that money in suspension. Surprisingly for a that was smoker in it does not smell like smoke and the ash tray was like new, maybe they just used the T tops.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by eteller View Post
    I'm gonna try some markers from the kids crayon box first. If that don't work I'll snip a little fabric from under where the visors bolted. The holes really are small, smaller than a BB. If i do go that route I'll use crazy glue. I'll take some pics. I did find a new headliner on line for $225, but I'd rather dump that money in suspension. Surprisingly for a that was smoker in it does not smell like smoke and the ash tray was like new, maybe they just used the T tops.
    See, that's why you had kids so you can play with crayons again. lol

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

You could go to your local parts store and look for spray dye that is close to the color of the headliner. Fill in the holes with Elmer's glue, let dry, then spray the area with the dye. OR, you could go to your local hobby shop and buy a bottle of Testors paint that matches the headliner. Just an idea.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    If you remove your A-pillar panel, you'll probably find enough headliner fabric tucked behind it to nip out a small patch. Curious as to what adhesive you use and the final result.
    They make a spray adhesive, I've used it on older vehicles that the headliner sagged.

I'm not sure how well a patch will pan out IMO. It's a tough issue. If the hole is really deep, I think you should fill it. If it has a 'volcano' type shape with the ridges protruding, you might want to cut/shave them down. A level surface will look better.

Sebring Silver
    2000 Trans Am

The only time I have had to work on my car here lately it's been dark out so I did not take any pics. I used a grey Sharpie the gf found, it covered the spot nicely, but remember this was a very small 2mm spot.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    They make a spray adhesive, I've used it on older vehicles that the headliner sagged.

I'm not sure how well a patch will pan out IMO. It's a tough issue. If the hole is really deep, I think you should fill it. If it has a 'volcano' type shape with the ridges protruding, you might want to cut/shave them down. A level surface will look better.

I have used spray adhesive in past restorations... works great but goes everywhere. I was almost thinking of a clear craft type glue stick.

Thread Information