Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Carbon Fiber Hood?

This is a discussion on Carbon Fiber Hood? within the Appearance Section forums, part of the General Help category; Not enough to justify spending $700 IMO....

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Not enough to justify spending $700 IMO.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by BREAKxNECKxSPEED View Post
    Not enough to justify spending $700 IMO.
    very true... plus... a cheaper Fiber Glass one would probably be just as lite

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I mean I dont even think carbon fiber looks good on a black car. I remember years ago when I kept seeing all these foreign cars with black hoods I was like wtf????
    Typical rice.

white
    2002 z28

hey do you havee to clear the CF hood if your not going to paint it, whats the whole process, or will it always be untreated
    ?

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

thats sick. i wonder how much it weights under stock??
    M6, Lid, Ported and Polished Throttle Body (By Me!), LT, Custom Catted Y, Electric Cutout, PHB, LCA13.21@108 with a 2.3 60'

Maple Red Metallic
    2000 Trans Am

I am planning on getting anything and everything carbon fiber for my car. All this talk about being "ricey" doesn't make any sense to me. Don't most "race" cars, such as the Saleen S7, use carbon fiber because of reduced weight?

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by SENN13 View Post
    I am planning on getting anything and everything carbon fiber for my car. All this talk about being "ricey" doesn't make any sense to me. Don't most "race" cars, such as the Saleen S7, use carbon fiber because of reduced weight?
    I guess it's ricey when you just leave it unpainted...to show it off and such...

most of those supercars...are made out of Carbon Fiber (even the Z06 has it)...but they are all painted...and don't flaunt the fact that they have it

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

^ agreed

white
    2002 z28

noy only reduce weight, also stronger

white
    2002 z28

but still my question is, do you have to clear coat it. or can just leave untreated

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhiteZ28 View Post
    but still my question is, do you have to clear coat it. or can just leave untreated
    I would clear coat it... I've seen them hoods get kinda nasty without clear... (specially in this tropical weather... hehe)

Silver
    2002 Z28

Most CF hoods come gel coated- works as a primer or a clear coat. I can't remember exact numbers, but my stock Z hood weighed something like 64 lbs, and this one weighs like 16 lbs with the hardware mounted... If I already had an SS hood I would say it wouldn't be worth it, because a weight savings of 45ish lbs could be done much easier... but since I wanted the look, it was worth the extra money; plus it was only like 500 plus 100 to ship... not awful in my opinion.

And while I completely understand that some people don't like it, I will never understand why; CF is stronger and lighter than fiberglass, and when done properly, looks a whole lot better. I don't mind an unpainted CF hood on a black car if the shades are close, and personally, I think on a Z with a black roof, the hood could work on most cars; I gave strong consideration to just having the hatch and spoiler painted black to two-tone the car, and then have a silver manta laid down on top of it... Though I'm quite happy with my decision; I still haven't had someone tell me they didn't like it.
    She's baaaaaccccck...

'02 Z/28 M6 Hardtop

white
    2002 z28

thanks, and since white is probly the worst color for CF hood, i was going to paint the top and leave underside unpainted, a lil touch for the bay

silver
    89 BII, 02 SS

If your car isn't a Honda, Mitusbishi, or Subaru, why would you even get carbon fiber ?

white
    2002 z28

true, but if it looks good or if its painted and yo cant tell. 45 lbs less weight

Silver
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Doom View Post
    If your car isn't a Honda, Mitusbishi, or Subaru, why would you even get carbon fiber ?
    If you're this narrow minded about the automotive industry, why even own a car?

Carbon fiber is a superior material that has been reserved for the most prominant supercars... it invaded the aftermarket industry and was swarmed by the imports, making it unfortunately trendy and used rather hopelessly; Ultimately, when used in a manner that exemplifies taste, it's still among the best synthetic materials for any performance oriented car to make use of.

Next you're going to tell me that nitrous and turbos are only for imports, right?

silver
    89 BII, 02 SS

Quote Originally Posted by ProwlerZ View Post
    If you're this narrow minded about the automotive industry, why even own a car?

Carbon fiber is a superior material that has been reserved for the most prominant supercars... it invaded the aftermarket industry and was swarmed by the imports, making it unfortunately trendy and used rather hopelessly; Ultimately, when used in a manner that exemplifies taste, it's still among the best synthetic materials for any performance oriented car to make use of.

Next you're going to tell me that nitrous and turbos are only for imports, right?
    I'm not being ignorant. I would never own a carbon fiber item for my car, even a driveshaft. I don't care if it weighs 200lbs less PERIOD. Keep the carbon fiber to the imports, I don't care if the 'vette has it or not. An no turbos an nitrous are not limited to imports, I am considering having both in my car thank you.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

I'm not being ignorant. I would never own a carbon fiber item for my car, even a driveshaft. I don't care if it weighs 200lbs less PERIOD. Keep the carbon fiber to the imports, I don't care if the 'vette has it or not. An no turbos an nitrous are not limited to imports, I am considering having both in my car thank you.
    so sad, when people can't see past their own ignorance when it comes to something that will obviously help with performance and is a material that has been proven in every single type of racing, from the 300mph FunnyCars (NOT IMPORTS)... to the F1 cars (mostly imports ) it's a case of taste really...and you my friend probably have none... exept for the fact that you bought a camaro...

silver
    89 BII, 02 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki_SeVeN View Post
    so sad, when people can't see past their own ignorance when it comes to something that will obviously help with performance and is a material that has been proven in every single type of racing, from the 300mph FunnyCars (NOT IMPORTS)... to the F1 cars (mostly imports ) it's a case of taste really...and you my friend probably have none... exept for the fact that you bought a camaro...
    you go buy a carbon fiber hood, i'll go spend my 500 on headers.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

you go buy a carbon fiber hood, i'll go spend my 500 on headers.
    LOL... I'll wait a little longer for both things... suspension comes first... (most of it is all fked up)... sides I'll get Performance mods...after I'm beat by my friends... (Mach1, Surpa, 300ZX TT)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information