Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

can you polish your stock rotors?

This is a discussion on can you polish your stock rotors? within the Appearance Section forums, part of the General Help category; ive seen some rotors that have been polished and the queestion is would it be worth it to polish them ...

  1. #1
    Senior Member greatwhiteZ28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    d
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,675

    white
    2002 z28

    can you polish your stock rotors?

    ive seen some rotors that have been polished and the queestion is would it be worth it to polish them to a shine . or will it just keep getting rusted.

  2. #2
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    If its a car that ever seens rain, I wouldn't waste the efforts honestly. If its a car that only sees nice weather, then it would be worth it IMO.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

    Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

  3. #3
    Senior Member greatwhiteZ28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    d
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,675

    white
    2002 z28

    thanks looks like only for future car shows

  4. #4
    MOTOR CITY MARO' SSTODD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    LIVONIA,MICHIGAN
    Age
    51
    Posts
    786

    PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

    Buy some zinc-coated and they will stay very nice, I got a complete set drilled and slotted and they look great all the time.

  5. #5
    Senior Member greatwhiteZ28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    d
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,675

    white
    2002 z28

    sstodd

    do you have any pics??

  6. #6
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhiteZ28 View Post
    sstodd

    do you have any pics??

    Mine are actually zinc coated, not polished. If you look through my fquick garage pics, there are some close up pics in there you can look at.

  7. #7
    Senior Member greatwhiteZ28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    d
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,675

    white
    2002 z28

    thks, would just replacing the rotors have some effect on braking performance. i know its prob been askes million times but

    stock v name brand
    name brnd plain v drilled
    slotted v drrilled

    im really jsu loooking for a lil performance and lil more of a look at a good price

  8. #8
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhiteZ28 View Post
    thks, would just replacing the rotors have some effect on braking performance. i know its prob been askes million times but

    stock v name brand
    name brnd plain v drilled
    slotted v drrilled

    im really jsu loooking for a lil performance and lil more of a look at a good price
    Lots of people debate that cross drilled rotors are more prone to cracking. I think most people agree that slotted rotors are better on performance. The rotors I have are extremely affordable <$300 for all 4, and all 4 are cross drilled, slotted and zinc washed. The big benefit of them to me is the looks which sounds like what you are mostly after. I don't beat on my Camaro or abuse it in any way so I am not real worried about the debate on whether or not cross drilled is more prone to cracking the rotors. I can PM you the place I got my rotors from if you are interested, just let me know

  9. #9
    I lika da Chevy's LETHALxLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,328

    BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

    I am going to paint the rusty part of my rotors a dark grey color. I just dont have the extra money to buy rotors (not working cause of spine injury) do you guys think that would look decent?? I think anything would look better than the rust.

  10. #10
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by DEADBYDAWN View Post
    I am going to paint the rusty part of my rotors a dark grey color. I just dont have the extra money to buy rotors (not working cause of spine injury) do you guys think that would look decent?? I think anything would look better than the rust.
    I think the dark grey color would look ok. On my previous vert, I had painted the rear ones black and I didn't care for them, they stood out too much IMO. I say try it though

  11. #11
    I lika da Chevy's LETHALxLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,328

    BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

    O- I never thought about it being overbearing. Hmm I guess Ill find out. If so I guess I will have to buy some.

  12. #12
    MOTOR CITY MARO' SSTODD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    LIVONIA,MICHIGAN
    Age
    51
    Posts
    786

    PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Lots of people debate that cross drilled rotors are more prone to cracking. I think most people agree that slotted rotors are better on performance. The rotors I have are extremely affordable <$300 for all 4, and all 4 are cross drilled, slotted and zinc washed. The big benefit of them to me is the looks which sounds like what you are mostly after. I don't beat on my Camaro or abuse it in any way so I am not real worried about the debate on whether or not cross drilled is more prone to cracking the rotors. I can PM you the place I got my rotors from if you are interested, just let me know
    I did it for the looks also, I do not beat on the car. I did have a buddy paint his bad edges with a hi-temp silver and it did look better than the rust but I had no desire to do all that paint work.

  13. #13
    I lika da Chevy's LETHALxLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,328

    BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

    Quote Originally Posted by SSTODD View Post
    I did it for the looks also, I do not beat on the car. I did have a buddy paint his bad edges with a hi-temp silver and it did look better than the rust but I had no desire to do all that paint work.
    alot easier to buy new for sure. But 300 ouch!!!

  14. #14
    MOTOR CITY MARO' SSTODD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    LIVONIA,MICHIGAN
    Age
    51
    Posts
    786

    PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

    Quote Originally Posted by DEADBYDAWN View Post
    alot easier to buy new for sure. But 300 ouch!!!
    I think I got mine for $200 with pads for all 4, just have to look for deals.

  15. #15
    Speak the truth jad628's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,307

    Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhiteZ28 View Post
    sstodd

    do you have any pics??
    I recently installed some Triton D&S rotors (zinc plated) with ceramic pads. I cleaned up the rotors and painted them silver on the main part and black on the back part that bolts to the A frame area. I like 'em with the chrome rims. They work well, are quiet, and affordable (about $150-175 shipped for all four). Here are some mediocre pics.
    Last edited by jad628; 05-14-2007 at 10:28 AM.

  16. #16
    Senior Member greatwhiteZ28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    d
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,675

    white
    2002 z28

    dude that looks killer and its cheap!!!

  17. #17
    I lika da Chevy's LETHALxLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,328

    BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

    That does look really good. If I can get 4 for $175 I may go that route. I like it!!

  18. #18
    Speak the truth jad628's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,307

    Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhiteZ28 View Post
    dude that looks killer and its cheap!!!

    Thanks. Yeah, they seem to be working well. I was a little worried about the quality at first (before I received them), but they seem to be a good product. The zinc plating had to wear off the contact surface and that was the only time they felt a little rough. Now they're good to go.

  19. #19
    Speak the truth jad628's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,307

    Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by DEADBYDAWN View Post
    That does look really good. If I can get 4 for $175 I may go that route. I like it!!
    I think they are good rotors. They seem to work well with the ceramic pads I installed. Those add about another $110-120 to the final cost.

  20. #20
    I lika da Chevy's LETHALxLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,328

    BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

    Would you happen to have the web address of where you bought them? You can PM it to me so they dont bitch. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Stock Brake Rotors/Pads
    By SuperSport346 in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-28-2010, 08:40 AM
  2. Port and polish stock heads
    By silver35thss in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-25-2010, 02:11 PM
  3. Best polish for stock Polished alum. wheels?
    By Kup98ss in forum Showcar and Detailing
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 05-27-2008, 05:11 PM
  4. Need Stock Front Rotors
    By autocrosser in forum Rocky Mountain Members
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-17-2008, 03:24 PM
  5. Port & Polish stock TB vs 80mm aftermarket TB
    By NetrixTardis in forum External Engine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-31-2007, 02:13 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •