Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Can u + a hood scoop?

Ok, I like silly thoughts. With a little Pro Body work can you add a functional hood scoop to a non SS camaro hood? Oh and would the hood survive?

thanks

kool-aide

Red
    2001 ws6

y dont u just buy an ss hood? it would prob. be a little cheaper.....

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

really cuz most SS hoods are like over $250 + the 125-150 to ship. I was actually thinking of a cowl hood, something different and runs a little cheaper than an SS hood.

I figured a question like that is worth a giggle. I was curious.

Pewter
    2001 GrandPrix GTP

anythings possible with enough skill and supplies.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

hah, not with my skill. I would have to get a real paint and body guy to do it. Just wasn't sure if it was doable. I didn't know if the hood bracing on the under side would fail or be a problem.

green
    94 z28

You can make a decent hood for less than $100 unpainted. That would be a pure fiberglass hood as well. I plan on doing that once I get some cars done in my shop so I'll be able to tackle it for a few days and not have to work on it, quit and work on a car, work on it, quit and work on a car, ect.

If you were going to use your own hood, I'd imagine you could do it for less than $50 unpainted.

You just have to have some, at least basic, autobody repair skills.

Quote Originally Posted by kool-aide View Post
    hah, not with my skill. I would have to get a real paint and body guy to do it. Just wasn't sure if it was doable. I didn't know if the hood bracing on the under side would fail or be a problem.
    I actually seen cars that just make a top mold of their cars hood out of fiberglass, and just use 2-4 layers of fiberglass for the strength. Then they used some good/strong spray foam(like great stuff!) to make ribs on the bottom of the hood and put some fiberglass over the foam to make some 'ribs' for more strength. That would be plenty enough. The hardest part of making the hood would be to get the hinges to allign back correctly. That is why I'm just going to go for a pin-on hood. Save some weight that way too :-).

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

really cuz most SS hoods are like over $250 + the 125-150 to ship. I was actually thinking of a cowl hood, something different and runs a little cheaper than an SS hood.

Where can you find SS Hoods for that price???

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

ebay, and they wouldn't be OEM hoods that's for sure. I have never bought one, so it could be you get what you pay for.

Fab my own hood, um, basic body work skills, uh not me. I do all my own work, but body work. I don't have the tools, space, exp, or setup for that, bummer. The only fiber glass i do is my surf board repairs, and not very good at that either.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Yeah I don't think ebay hoods are good quality. The most problem I guess would be the fitment. Then I would have to pay a shop even more to make it fit good. I wish I could find an oe hood here around Dallas Area. I guess I'll keep looking.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

yeah, I don't know where I would find one near me either. That's why I was wondering if any one heard of some one cutting in a scoop on a factory flat hood. I mean would it really be more than 300 bucks to cut in a scoop? It's not like the OEM hoods are steel.

You figure a good hood would run you at least 400 bucks to get it to your door, unpainted. Then you're right if it doesn't fit you have to pay more. A good hood that fits right would easily put you over 500.

Maybe I will contact a body shop guy and ask. The guy that sold me the car is a paint and body shop.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

i found this encouraging and yet dangerous. It was for installing a 4" x 53" cowl scoop. Oh I can only imagine what kind of mess i could make.

Installing a scoop yourself - can be a self satisfying experience, getting you away from the wrenches for a bit. In addition, if you do it yourself, you'll know the job was done right & not tilted or crooked.
    The following is a list of the stuff you'll need to accomplish this task properly: Fiberglass mat, plastic spreader / squeegee, 1 pint polyester resin w/hardener, 1 pint body filler (polyester based) w/hardener, 40 - 80 & 120 grit sand paper, primer, saber saw or carbon wheel, tape measure, permanent marker, & safety equipment as recommended on the materials safety guidelines.
    *Common sense is also handy! Please remember - fiberglass is flammable and the dust is toxic.

Purple
    1998 T/A convertable

Get a 78 camaro scoop for $30 and try to bend it to the hoods curve lol.. Seriously, I always thought those stick on ducts look awful. There really isn't any for the old hood to sruvive ram air as you need a hole for the air to flow through. $250 is cheap fo a hood. Try finding a good T/A R/A hood for under $500.

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

I love the cowl hood on the Z. Thats what I would go with.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

I like maro's with a huge ass single hump for a hood. The backward scoop style where the intake is in the back. That just looks badass, like a 4inch tall one. mmmm BEEFY

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

yeah, that would be a cowl induction hood, or maybe you mean a shaker hood. I think the T/A pulled off the shaker, but not the camaro. My wife likes the camaro with a 2" cowl.

Thread Information