2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Body Molding Removal

Ok so I've seen a lot of people do this to their cars, and i think it looks damn good. Whats stopped me is that im worried what ill find underneath. my paints not the best in the world, and the clear has come off just above the molding, in that little groove. My paints also 12 years old, the clear on my roof started bubbling about 2 months ago.

Anyway i was out washing it today and the little piece on the right rear quarter panel snagged on my towel and came most of the way off. I pulled back and looked underneath, and it actually looked ok.

So do you guys think i should remove it, clean it up, and if it looks ok, do it all, if it doesnt, put it back on, or just glue the loose side back down and not worry about it.

My second question is that the adhesive underneath is rock hard, will the standard stuff take it off?

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    Ok so I've seen a lot of people do this to their cars, and i think it looks damn good. Whats stopped me is that im worried what ill find underneath. my paints not the best in the world, and the clear has come off just above the molding, in that little groove. My paints also 12 years old, the clear on my roof started bubbling about 2 months ago.

Anyway i was out washing it today and the little piece on the right rear quarter panel snagged on my towel and came most of the way off. I pulled back and looked underneath, and it actually looked ok.

So do you guys think i should remove it, clean it up, and if it looks ok, do it all, if it doesnt, put it back on, or just glue the loose side back down and not worry about it.

My second question is that the adhesive underneath is rock hard, will the standard stuff take it off?
    Personally I would not take it off with the conditions you have described. If you are having issues with clear peeling above the molding and issues elsewhere, I wouldn't trust it. On the other hand, if these problem areas are major already, what's a few more spots gonna hurt??? Sounds like repaint time anyway............

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Quote Originally Posted by Piranhaz View Post
    Personally I would not take it off with the conditions you have described. If you are having issues with clear peeling above the molding and issues elsewhere, I wouldn't trust it. On the other hand, if these problem areas are major already, what's a few more spots gonna hurt??? Sounds like repaint time anyway............
    yeah, theres no way in hell i can afford a re-paint, but yeah, it almost seems like since i already have other trouble spots, i might as well.

the clear thats peeling above the moldings looks like a bad job, i dont think itll spread, it looks pretty set. the stuff on my roof is new, its gonna spread.

Thread Information