Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

best way to remove old tint?

This is a discussion on best way to remove old tint? within the Appearance Section forums, part of the General Help category; Originally Posted by hutch1999 GM doesnt offer tint like that from the factory, I think someone added that on your ...

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Quote Originally Posted by hutch1999 View Post
    GM doesnt offer tint like that from the factory, I think someone added that on your car
    Then it's got to be added by the dealer. This is the 3rd pontiac I've had with that kind of tint in the back window. It doesn't look purple until it starts to peel/bubble. I've never seen tint like that installed from a 3rd party.

Red
    2001 ws6

weird, pics?

blue
    98 T/A LS-1

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison_Bergeron View Post
    Deffinatley use a mask or respirator! This is how I did mine, ammonia, black trash bag and heat gun. I didn't use a respirator or mask, figured open air environment was good enough, and my throat was messed up for weeks, but the windows came out really good.
    Are you saying spray the window with the ammonia, cover it with a black trash bag, heat it with the heat gun to dry it, and then peel it off? Peel it after how long?

Blue
    1990 Ford Ranger

I only did my side windows, took them out of teh doors doused them with undiluted (straight from the bottle) amonia, put them in bags, heated them to get the glue tackier faster and let them sit for 15 to 20 minutes to let the amonia eat at the glue. Took a while, but I didn't have to sit with a razor scraping off glue.

midnight Blue
    '99 Trans Am ws7

I sprayed the window carfully not to let it drip, and then put the bag over it, then you could leave it in the sun on a hot day and it will just peal right off or if there is no warm sun you can just take hte heat gun and carefully heat the outside of the window but dont let it cool...then just peel it off get some heavy duty glass cleaner and wipe down

green
    94 z28

Maybe it's the just waking up speaking, but my window tint when is still on when I bought mine and has some serious bubbles. Under it, it looks like it may have the de-frost wires on the hatch, so any way I could mess those up while using a razor blade and taking the tint off?

midnight Blue
    '99 Trans Am ws7

Dont use a razor blade....you cut one of those wires your screwed!

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

on that one!

Red
    2001 ws6

use a razor blade on w.e you want besides the rear window(hatch)

midnight Blue
    '99 Trans Am ws7

Thats true....wut he said...and if you do use a razor blade on the hatch, I have one for sale with no tint lol, or unless you just want to be out of a rear defrost

two tone
    2003 harley davidson f150

on my 1st ta after getting a ticket and pulled over 3 times also in a week i took the front door tint off... the tint peeled right off but the glue remained.... carb cleaner and a rag... took it right off =) just make sure you dont get it on anything else and clean the window real well before you put new tint on

Collector Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am CE

I've been a tinter for a few months (not long, but I think it's respectable) and I use hot, soapy water and a razor blade. I've never had to scrape bad tint for more than 10 minutes. Easily removing the glue isn't weather proof, though. 9 of every 10 bad tints I removed were in 95+ degree weather, though. It's fair to say that the sun helped me in the removal of tint. Oh, and if you've got purple tint in any instance i.e. complete tint, peeled tint, dark or light, then you've got the cheap shit.

Onyx Black
    2002 Camaro SS

When I bought my T/A a couple of months ago, it had DARK tint all around, not sure what the %. Wife bought me new tint for Bday, just got it yesterday. They talked me into the Quantum film, I guess it has metal or something in it, said it would look more luxurious...

Well, they used a steamer to get my old tint off and that worked awesome! They did a fantastic job on the tint, I am just disappointed in the darkness of it. It is a lot lighter than my old tint, however it has a sort of reflective quality I guess.

I don't know, I guess I will live with it for a few days and then if I am still not happy, I will go back down there and see if there is a darker version of the Quantum film.

See before and after. 1st is before, it is much darker (but looked like shit inside!!)
    Last edited by pinky93; 03-28-2009 at 09:17 AM.
    2002 Camaro SS - SLP # 7744
    SLP SFC
    SLP Blackwing
    SLP Panhard Bar
    SLP LCA's
    SLP 85mm MAF
    SLP 160 degree stat
    SLP Y-pipe
    Diablo Tuner

midnight Blue
    '99 Trans Am ws7

actually if you just got it done the other day...it takes time for it to dry and it will get darker. I put 5% on my grand prix and it took a good week for it to fully dry, but thats just sitting in our 65degree shed. depending on how warm it is, it could take longer

two tone
    2003 harley davidson f150

why did you retint the windows? looked good before... only reason i went lighter when i had 4% put on was because i got a ticket and pulled over 3 other times in one week.... so i went with 15% i think and it still looked solid back cause of the dark interior... but didn't get pulled over anymore with it

Onyx Black
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by EVL LS1 View Post
    why did you retint the windows? looked good before... only reason i went lighter when i had 4% put on was because i got a ticket and pulled over 3 other times in one week.... so i went with 15% i think and it still looked solid back cause of the dark interior... but didn't get pulled over anymore with it
    I only retinted because it looked like crap on the inside. You couldn't tell from the outside. I talked with my wife and the shop told them this was legal for Florida. I don't even know if this Quantum stuff comes any darker? I will call them tomorrow.

Given I have a dark interior, maybe I will just wait and see. I am sure I will get used to it being lighter. One thing that was awesome, is I drove it last night when it was dark and it was ALOT easier to see!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information