Silver
    98 Trans Am

Cool best company for Ws6 hood

i have a 98 TA (sleak beak) and im looking for a almost perfect fitting ram air hood. i have learnt my lesson about cheap hoods b4 so im willing to be on the exspensive side a little (not SLP tho) Nothing over 1000 bucks. i live kinda close to the summit store in Atlanta so im leaning toward a Harwood bc no shipping charges. Also bc Harwood is pretty reputible.. whats up guys what yall think???

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

If you are close to them, drive it there and see if they can fit one on there. If it fits, buy it right then and there.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by BIG GUNS View Post
    If you are close to them, drive it there and see if they can fit one on there. If it fits, buy it right then and there.
    You can do this... OR..

you can search and search and find a good used OEM one. I have a suncoast, while they look good and are 1/4 inch"ish" higher than an OEM one, they are a bit flimsy on the sides of the hood and you cant use OEM ram air either without some mods

Silver
    98 Trans Am

i have found a used one for 700. but im afraid that if it doesnt fit than i cant return it bc its from a salvage yard. I called every salvage yard on the freaking east coast and finally found one. however it does have some nicks on it but that doesnt worry me. FITTMENT is my biggest concern. should i buy it. maybe they will test fit it for me b4 i buy it???

Silver
    98 Trans Am

also i would love to use my original hood struts. so i dont want a flimsy hood

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

harwood has a good rep imo. . but ive never dealt with their products directly. . . i have a us exotics ws9 and love it. but ive heard a few people havin problems lately with communication with them and production time.

The absolute best fitting will be the OEM hood. If you want an aftermarket, we have had very good feedback on the Trufiber WS6 hood we sell. It also includes heat extractors at the back at no additional charger while other hood manufacturers charge up to 100.00 extra for them.

You can check them out in our online catalog.

Thanks!
    Fast Toys Performance Parts
    Low pricing & honest customer service since 1998!

Email:sales@fasttoys.net
    Web: www.fasttoys.net

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    You can do this... OR..

you can search and search and find a good used OEM one. I have a suncoast, while they look good and are 1/4 inch"ish" higher than an OEM one, they are a bit flimsy on the sides of the hood and you cant use OEM ram air either without some mods
    I found a good OEM on craigslist in my local area. Had a 2 inch damaged area on the left front corner.

I smoothed the intakes out: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108096

And then, I had it painted. Need to turn it back in for a free touch up but, it turned out great.

Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by BIG GUNS View Post
    I found a good OEM on craigslist in my local area. Had a 2 inch damaged area on the left front corner.

I smoothed the intakes out: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108096

Click for full size

And then, I had it painted. Need to turn it back in for a free touch up but, it turned out great.

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size
    no ram air vents? ya know what, i'm likin it. always was annoyed that the lower ports didn't have honeycomb vents to match, im a perfectionist. i like it alot, great job guns! and also, no offense fast toys, but i had a trufiber hood and did not have good luck with it, but i also bought it when trufiber first really started selling. maybe they're making better quality products? let me know, i'll probably be lookin for a ws9 style hood or maybe a superhawk in a year or so because of trufibers poor quality

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Quote Originally Posted by BirdCountry02 View Post
    no ram air vents? ya know what, i'm likin it. always was annoyed that the lower ports didn't have honeycomb vents to match, im a perfectionist. i like it alot, great job guns! and also, no offense fast toys, but i had a trufiber hood and did not have good luck with it, but i also bought it when trufiber first really started selling. maybe they're making better quality products? let me know, i'll probably be lookin for a ws9 style hood or maybe a superhawk in a year or so because of trufibers poor quality
    Thanks birdman. Here are some pics we took yesterday after I got my new rotors and pads on. Painted the calipers back to black and threw in the blood red mirrors under the hood. Its gettin there.

My buddies 99 Camaro also.

Last edited by BIG GUNS; 04-19-2009 at 11:17 AM.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

The amount of skill and prep it takes to get an aftermarket hood looking good will be reflected in the price of getting it painted. OEM looks best imo. I have the US Exotics one too. (pics in sig) Not bad for the price I paid for it but it's no OEM one. Big Guns your car looks great.

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Thanks bra. I keep plugging away at it. I'm pretty much done with the big work. Yeah, OEM is the way to go. I paid $400 for the hood and then the body work to fix the corner and paint was $259 so, still a better deal than buying an $800 hood and then having it painted....at least for me anyways.
    Last edited by BIG GUNS; 04-19-2009 at 11:24 AM.

Silver
    98 Trans Am

ya but this junk yard is asking 700 and with a salvage yard your stuck with what you buy. Even tho its OEM i would still make them test fit it on my car before i bought it.

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

by all means. Nothing wrong with that.

Silver
    98 Trans Am

FINALLY bought one. its an used OEM hood with about a dime sized nick right about the front pass. side light houseing. i picked it up in Atlanta last night at like 2 in the moring lol. thats how bad i wanted one. i payed 450$ for it. It need work and paint tho. Fung bucko found it for me on Craigslist and told me about it. the guy obviosly didnt know what he had. take a look at it on graigslist and let me know what you guys think. Im going to do the mods like BIG GUNS did cuz his look awsome. I took every blanket it the house to cover it up and protect it while it was in the back of the truck. lol

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

That sounds cool. I did all my mods to mine by the seat of my pants and only talked to a few people about it because I didn't want to hear 50 sides of the story.

Just wanted to go for it and whatever came out, came out. Performancewise, I don't see much advantage to opening everything up. Just looks cool.

As far as rain, haven't heard many people say it was a problem but, I drive low and slow in the rain and will now carry a couple sponges just for the intake. Just don't want any problems til I pick up my daily driver this summer.

The intake itself is in the same oval shape as the openings. If you take out the baffles, you can see a square opening. I didn't like that so, I cut an oval with my jig saw.

I just need to tape off this weekend and spray the inside where the nostrils are and I think I'm set.

It does seem to cruise better. Cruise for me is somewhere between 70-80.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

If you want to search for a used hood try www.car-part.com. It a search engine for used parts.

Thread Information