Results 1 to 18 of 18

berger panel help

This is a discussion on berger panel help within the Appearance Section forums, part of the General Help category; I have a ton of time in repairing cracks in mine and painting it black. I am trying to decide ...

  1. #1
    let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    hixson tennessee
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,642

    white
    94 camaro z28

    berger panel help

    I have a ton of time in repairing cracks in mine and painting it black. I am trying to decide between doing it gloss black or flat black. I have done enough sanding with enough layers to make it work as a gloss black. I think I have spent 8 hours sanding it to a perfectly smooth surface. I could spend another hour or 2 and be able make it gloss black. would it be worth it? or should I just go flat and take the easy road out.

  2. #2
    Member squee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Age
    27
    Posts
    952

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

    I personally think a flat or semi looks better.

  3. #3
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    They don't look good in gloss black IMO.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

    Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

  4. #4
    LE #2823 CamaroDMD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Age
    32
    Posts
    126

    Red with Silver Stripes
    2002 Camaro SS LE

    I would go with a semi-gloss or satin black personally. I assume thats how the Berger panels are actually done since that was the way the classic Camaro's came from the factory.

  5. #5
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Flat black is how the actual Berger panel from the factory came.

  6. #6
    LE #2823 CamaroDMD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Age
    32
    Posts
    126

    Red with Silver Stripes
    2002 Camaro SS LE

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Flat black is how the actual Berger panel from the factory came.
    Oh, OK. I had just assumed they took the classic semi-gloss style from the 1st gens...but I guess not.

  7. #7
    let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    hixson tennessee
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,642

    white
    94 camaro z28

    ok. would I want to put a clear coat over it after it is sanded and all to a flat/semi gloss color? I am leaving the letters a gloss black.

  8. #8
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    I didn't clear over mine, I left it just flat black. The clear coating is a personal preference really, it will add a bit of shine to it as well.

  9. #9
    let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    hixson tennessee
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,642

    white
    94 camaro z28

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I didn't clear over mine, I left it just flat black. The clear coating is a personal preference really, it will add a bit of shine to it as well.
    ok. I don't have to drive my car til my new differential comes in so I have the time to let it dry and then do one. heck even then I don't have to til next wensday. I won't be able to legally til next friday anyways

  10. #10
    I flame retards CamaroFan71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge, La.
    Posts
    1,068

    QuickSilverMetallic
    2005 GTO M6

    Great!!! One more overdone Berger mod on the road.

  11. #11
    let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    hixson tennessee
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,642

    white
    94 camaro z28

    Quote Originally Posted by CamaroFan71 View Post
    Great!!! One more overdone Berger mod on the road.
    aw come on. it's not that common. around here it's quite rare i think. I only think I have seen 2 of them around here out of the countless f-bodies around here. mine won't even hardly be on the road though. I am only gonna put maybe 50 miles a week on my car. 100 at the most. in fact as soon as me and my wife to be save the money we are gonna buy me an early 90's lotus as a daily driver. the lexus we bought her with part of my college fund serves the family car position very well and there isn't a need for another one. a 4 cyl sports car like a lotus would be the car me and her could drive when we don't have the kid with us. my camaro will sit in the garage and I will drive it when i want to just drive.

  12. #12
    I flame retards CamaroFan71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge, La.
    Posts
    1,068

    QuickSilverMetallic
    2005 GTO M6

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmybling31 View Post
    aw come on. it's not that common. around here it's quite rare i think. I only think I have seen 2 of them around here out of the countless f-bodies around here. mine won't even hardly be on the road though. I am only gonna put maybe 50 miles a week on my car. 100 at the most. in fact as soon as me and my wife to be save the money we are gonna buy me an early 90's lotus as a daily driver. the lexus we bought her with part of my college fund serves the family car position very well and there isn't a need for another one. a 4 cyl sports car like a lotus would be the car me and her could drive when we don't have the kid with us. my camaro will sit in the garage and I will drive it when i want to just drive.
    Well when you go out and about and see Bergers on pos mustang/camaro v6's it tends to make you want to strangle the guys that has the next one you see. But if your dead set on doing the Berger......... The REAL Bergers were flat black and the gloss ones look shitty on ANY color cars!!

  13. #13
    let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    hixson tennessee
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,642

    white
    94 camaro z28

    Quote Originally Posted by CamaroFan71 View Post
    Well when you go out and about and see Bergers on pos mustang/camaro v6's it tends to make you want to strangle the guys that has the next one you see. But if your dead set on doing the Berger......... The REAL Bergers were flat black and the gloss ones look shitty on ANY color cars!!
    I finished it. It's flat black.

  14. #14
    Member squee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Age
    27
    Posts
    952

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

    Personally, I'd just paint it whatever the fuck black and then clear it with a very low luster clear (essentially flat clear I guess )

  15. #15
    let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    hixson tennessee
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,642

    white
    94 camaro z28

    Quote Originally Posted by squee View Post
    Personally, I'd just paint it whatever the fuck black and then clear it with a very low luster clear (essentially flat clear I guess )
    I did it with a gloss black car paint (labeled as mustang black actually...go figure) then I scuffed it up after it dried with a sos pad then put a clear coat on it. it came out nice. low luster black. I will post up pics when I get bored.

  16. #16
    Member squee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Age
    27
    Posts
    952

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

    Should look good. Personally, what I'ma do is the berger and then get the stainless Camaro inserts then paint them orange to match the stripes I wanna do. Still gotta sell my damn truck before I can get a Maro.

  17. #17
    let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    hixson tennessee
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,642

    white
    94 camaro z28

    Quote Originally Posted by squee View Post
    Should look good. Personally, what I'ma do is the berger and then get the stainless Camaro inserts then paint them orange to match the stripes I wanna do. Still gotta sell my damn truck before I can get a Maro.
    yeah it looks good to me. my parents said I was crazy when I pulled it off and started, but it was cracked up and everything so I wanted to redo parts of the fiberglass anyways and when I repainted it on my own my mom especially said to take it to a shop to get it done and I was like they would do the same thing for this finish as I am doing. she didn't believe me til it was on the car. now she likes it.

  18. #18
    Member squee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Age
    27
    Posts
    952

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. How do you like your berger panel
    By 02fbody35th in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 04-23-2010, 04:36 PM
  2. Question: Berger Panel
    By Z28boy2000 in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-13-2009, 04:52 PM
  3. Berger panel
    By 01pewterZ in forum General Help
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-22-2007, 08:35 AM
  4. Berger panel
    By OnEbAdReDSS in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-14-2007, 11:54 PM
  5. Berger panel ?s
    By Vols Fan in forum Appearance Section
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-22-2006, 02:36 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •