Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

anyone w/ images of sanded clear coat

I'm trying to do as much paint prep. work as possiable.

I've done primer on fender, bumper,hood & head light cover, (will redo head light cover in grey echter primer.will also add primer to fender.

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...ent=prime4.jpg

The painter now would like me to wet sand w/ 600 the entire hood.

doe's anyone here have images of what a completely wet sanded hood looks like or a link on how to tips,
    he basically wants the orginal clear off so when he paints the small section of hood he wants to clear entire hood.

Thanks
    Last edited by qwik219d9; 10-25-2008 at 03:38 PM.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

It will look dull. As you sand it, you will start to see the clear coat coming off.

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

how faded can 10 year old paint be

I bought the car in 01 it's a 99 and since I've owned it it's been outside however it's allways covered w/ car cover and not driven much maybe 3 times a week.

painter is saying that don't expect a perfect paint job since he is using brand new paint attemping to match w/ older paint that has most likely faded a little.

Thanks

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by qwik219d9 View Post
    I bought the car in 01 it's a 99 and since I've owned it it's been outside however it's allways covered w/ car cover and not driven much maybe 3 times a week.

painter is saying that don't expect a perfect paint job since he is using brand new paint attemping to match w/ older paint that has most likely faded a little.

Thanks
    It's usually a good idea to blend to match. They are just so many variables in paint when they mix it.

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

I don't think I would worry about the fade, if any. They will usually tell you that, just in case they mess up their mix. Any painter worth there salt should be able to match your cars color perfectly.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

Quote Originally Posted by qwik219d9 View Post

Thanks
    the base coat clear coat paint used on cars in about the last 15 years resists fading pretty well if the clear is still good. as long as the same paint code and brand (which would be dupont if stock) is used, it should match up fine.

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    the base coat clear coat paint used on cars in about the last 15 years resists fading pretty well if the clear is still good. as long as the same paint code and brand (which would be dupont if stock) is used, it should match up fine.
    The only issue I had with my paint was that there were like 6 different variants of white! If you can pick the right one you should be OK, but that's easier said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Piranhaz View Post
    The only issue I had with my paint was that there were like 6 different variants of white! If you can pick the right one you should be OK, but that's easier said than done.
    hell i bet theres hundreds variants of white . . . if you use the paint code on the door, you should be good (assuming the stock paint is on the car)

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am M6

hell i bet theres hundreds variants of white . . . if you use the paint code on the door, you should be good (assuming the stock paint is on the car)
    Not sure you understand what I mean. There are 6 different variants of white for my paint code. For example, one has a redder tint, bluer tint, greener tint. They all show up from using the one code off the door. This is why you have to use a paint chip book to find the exact match.

Btw, most all colors have more than one variant. Most people wouldn't even know this unless you've mixed your own pain though.
    Last edited by Piranhaz; 10-27-2008 at 09:47 AM.

Not sure you understand what I mean. There are 6 different variants of white for my paint code. For example, one has a redder tint, bluer tint, greener tint. They all show up from using the one code off the door. This is why you have to use a paint chip book to find the exact match.

Btw, most all colors have more than one variant. Most people wouldn't even know this unless you've mixed your own pain though.
    hmmm. . . really? i have never heard that. im not a professional painter, but i do all my own paint work. you sure that there isnt just different variances just because its a different brand? i know since the "ingredients" of paint varies from brand to brand, one brands color may not look the same in another brand, for example nbm. i used ppg on my 80 formula and i know it is slightly more purple than the stock nbm (dupont) on a late 4 gen firebird. i dont understand what the purpose of a paint code would be if theyre is different variances on that code.

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am M6

hmmm. . . really? i have never heard that. im not a professional painter, but i do all my own paint work. you sure that there isnt just different variances just because its a different brand? i know since the "ingredients" of paint varies from brand to brand, one brands color may not look the same in another brand, for example nbm. i used ppg on my 80 formula and i know it is slightly more purple than the stock nbm (dupont) on a late 4 gen firebird. i dont understand what the purpose of a paint code would be if theyre is different variances on that code.
    Not sure why but I assume it's because when they paint from the factory, there isn't one big vat of paint mixed for the whole assembly line for all white cars for example. They are mixed at different times and they are never exactly the same. If you have ever mixed paint, it's drop by drop to get the right mixture. One extra drop can change the shade just a tad. I use Sikkens paint but have used PPG and U-Tech in the past and have had the same issues with red and silver, just not as many shades and usually it's very easy to tell which one it is. But this dang white had 6 variants and it was hard to tell which one.

Black
    2001 Pontiac

If your painter doesn't know how to find the right recipe for the exact paint match color code from the VIN, ..., You'd better find another painter.

I think he's just tryin' to 'COA' when the colors don't match exactly when h's done.

Most good paint shops will have the proper tools to determine the custom match capabilities also.

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by PontiacFan View Post
    If your painter doesn't know how to find the right recipe for the exact paint match color code from the VIN, ..., You'd better find another painter.

I think he's just tryin' to 'COA' when the colors don't match exactly when h's done.

Most good paint shops will have the proper tools to determine the custom match capabilities also.
    As long as the guy painting can color match the correct variant you are fine. I can't believe nobody else has looked at a color map book that has multiple variants for each color code .

I guess if you don't do your own mixing you would never even be exposed to it.

Not sure why but I assume it's because when they paint from the factory, there isn't one big vat of paint mixed for the whole assembly line for all white cars for example. They are mixed at different times and they are never exactly the same. If you have ever mixed paint, it's drop by drop to get the right mixture. One extra drop can change the shade just a tad. I use Sikkens paint but have used PPG and U-Tech in the past and have had the same issues with red and silver, just not as many shades and usually it's very easy to tell which one it is. But this dang white had 6 variants and it was hard to tell which one.
    yeah that makes sense i guess. . . i have never mixed the color myself; but arent all the mixers nowadays computer controlled; shouldnt they be pretty accurate (enough that there isnt much shade difference)? none of the suppliers where i get paint from has ever mentioned this either. i usually go to dupont or carquest (for ppg or omni)

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am M6

yeah that makes sense i guess. . . i have never mixed the color myself; but arent all the mixers nowadays computer controlled; shouldnt they be pretty accurate (enough that there isnt much shade difference)? none of the suppliers where i get paint from has ever mentioned this either. i usually go to dupont or carquest (for ppg or omni)
    Take a stroll down to your local body shop and ask them if you can see their paint mixing room. Most shops have a scale and each shade of color that goes into "your code" is added one at a time to get the proper color. It's hard to explain, but you would be amazed at how many different colors go into each one to make the color you need for your car!

Last edited by Piranhaz; 10-27-2008 at 10:54 AM.

ill ask my uncle. . he owns a body shop. cant believe ive never heard of this!!

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am M6

ill ask my uncle. . he owns a body shop. cant believe ive never heard of this!!
    I should give you my paint code and tell him to look it up. There should be like 6 different variants.

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am M6

FYI, I asked a my old boss where I used to work and this was his repsonse:

Reason for variants:

2 most common is 1 plant will be painting with PPG in Mich. and one with
    Dupont in Mexico and one with Sikkens in CA. and so on .
    They will have varying shades from one brand to the other with the same
    code.
    The other is they only purge the paint line for 7 sec. between colors so if
    a black car was painted before a white one it will change the color of the
    white one .
    just think what some colors will do to white or we have had trouble with
    yellows. green & red change yellow a lot.
    they have had as many as 50 variants on one color but only put out color
    chips on the most common ones.

Hope this helps.

FYI, I asked a my old boss where I used to work and this was his repsonse:

Reason for variants:

2 most common is 1 plant will be painting with PPG in Mich. and one with
    Dupont in Mexico and one with Sikkens in CA. and so on .
    They will have varying shades from one brand to the other with the same
    code.
    The other is they only purge the paint line for 7 sec. between colors so if
    a black car was painted before a white one it will change the color of the
    white one .
    just think what some colors will do to white or we have had trouble with
    yellows. green & red change yellow a lot.
    they have had as many as 50 variants on one color but only put out color
    chips on the most common ones.

Hope this helps.
    see i thought they used only dupont on all gm

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

paint codes

Quote Originally Posted by PontiacFan View Post

you are exactly right w/ using VIN # my bright silver metalic has 4 varyances
    the Dupot folks found my varyance from the VIN.

funny thing about my color code ( I've been confussed on it for a while).

I have been told that from like 1990-02 all silver F bobys had one code usally find code on door options label been told that in 99 GM stuck another silver code on the door for years I've been confussed on this is it a differnt color or is the label misprinted?
    Well it turns out that the 2 diffent codes have the same recipe, GM must be trying to confusse us but they did'nt confusse Dupont.

? last time I had paint work done the man told me he had a hard time finding the color code for the engine compartment I was thinking this was just another stall tactic? is the outside paint the same as the engine compartment paint minus the clear?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information