anyone really good with spray paint?

This is a discussion on anyone really good with spray paint? within the Appearance Section forums, part of the General Help category; In the past I've had some stuff turn out pretty good using spray paint. I repainted a stb I had ...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

anyone really good with spray paint?

In the past I've had some stuff turn out pretty good using spray paint. I repainted a stb I had last week and the results weren't as good as I hoped for. I went to light on the coats I think. Is there anyway to fix this other than stripping it down and starting over? I have a layer of primer underneath and 3-4 coats of red on it. I still wanted to put another coat of red on it followed by a few coats of clear but noticed this wasn't turning out as good as I wanted so I stopped applying. Can I wet sand this out?

pewter
    1999 camaro ss #4288

that orange peel doesnt look too bad. i think wet sanding would smooth that out nicely. then clean the surface and spray on some clear. i would wet sand again after clearing then buff to a nice shine.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

well, I would like to put another coat on it before doing anything because one of the ends needs a little more coverage. I had it hanging while painting it and the very top edge didn't get enough coverage on it. I'm kinda wondering if I'll have problems trying to add another coat since the other paint has fully cured. I'm thinking of buying a sand blaster in the next week or two and if I do that I'll probably just strip it back down and start over. It took quite a while to strip this with a dremel, brush wheel on my grinder, and by hand. I'm guessing a sand blaster would be much faster and easier. I'm probably going to just sell this after I'm finished but I want to get as good a paint job on it as I can. I still may end up keeping it but I'm not sure yet.

Black
    1995 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    well, I would like to put another coat on it before doing anything because one of the ends needs a little more coverage. I had it hanging while painting it and the very top edge didn't get enough coverage on it. I'm kinda wondering if I'll have problems trying to add another coat since the other paint has fully cured. I'm thinking of buying a sand blaster in the next week or two and if I do that I'll probably just strip it back down and start over. It took quite a while to strip this with a dremel, brush wheel on my grinder, and by hand. I'm guessing a sand blaster would be much faster and easier. I'm probably going to just sell this after I'm finished but I want to get as good a paint job on it as I can. I still may end up keeping it but I'm not sure yet.
    Typically you will get orange peel like you pictured, so majority of the time your going to have to do some very light wetsanding. I've done 1500 grit on past projects, just real slow and take your time...I've even sometimes wetsanded with 2000 grit on the clearcoat as it can sometimes come out orange peeled.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Should have gotten it powdercoated
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Black
    1995 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Should have gotten it powdercoated
    Probably lol, even though it is a little more than spray paint it does give a better quality and just about the same amount of prep so yeah. Live and learn. Do you have a powdercoating setup or know someone who can do it cheap?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird Phoenix View Post
    Probably lol, even though it is a little more than spray paint it does give a better quality and just about the same amount of prep so yeah. Live and learn. Do you have a powdercoating setup or know someone who can do it cheap?
    I have someone local that does all my powdercoating for me.

Black
    1995 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I have someone local that does all my powdercoating for me.
    Not bad, I wish I could find a local powdercoater. If you do enough powdercoating, I believe Eastwood sells a pretty cost friendly setup that is good quality that you may want to look into(thats if you have room for a setup of a oven/painting area). Post some pics when if get powdercoated

THAT WILL NEED TO BE STrIpped

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Danger731 View Post
    THAT WILL NEED TO BE STrIpped
    that's pretty much what I already figured.

I know powder coating is much better but it's more of just something for me to tinker with than anything else. I'm not really worried about a 10 year finish or anything like that. Hell, this is the 3rd time I've painted it already. Just something to do.

Thread Information