Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

blue
    2002 Trans Am

Almost $100 buck T-top mod

Out of all the years I've been driving. I've had rocks chips, windshield with chips/ cracks, hit turkey, hit a deer and also had a deer hit me, but this was a new one for me.
    I was on my way for weekend with the wife North of Temple, TX on I35W North, going to Fort Worth, TX and I was in the left lane and 18wheeler was in right lane up ahead of me with his flatbed trailer (empty). Suddenly I guess chite was coming off his truck, which could see stuff bouncing around the road and something hit under and then something hit my T-top and put cracks everywhere, then it started to fall apart. As the pictures shows that was as soon as I was able to get off the road and get out. Good Lord watching over my wife and I,
    Well got a new T-top order, just sucks, but just thankful myself and the wife are ok, it did not stop the trip. Brought the Trans Am home and grab the SUV and headed back up to Fort Worth to enjoy our overnight stay and hung out at the stockyards.
    Crazy thing this was yesterday (FRIDAY 13TH Feb 2015)
    [IMG][/IMG]

ASh

- - - Updated - - -

couple more pictures
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

ASh

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Yowza! Glad you guys are ok.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

That shattered pretty good! Any idea what hit you? It wasn't light weight for sure.

I live in an area that has scales and the last stop before a long haul up the i5 going North. I try to stay away from trucks at all costs. I always see stuff flying off them, hoarding lane space, etc...

Glad you guys weren't hurt.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I know in TX if you got the tag number you could have gotten him to pay for it.

Glad nothing serious happen, flying glass debris is never fun.

Wow, on top is a new one. Haven't seen that before. If there is a bright side, it's easier to replace than a windshield.

5 busted windshields so far in Arizona in the last 6 years. Highways are murder, I try to stay off them as much as possible. Paint doesn't fair any better.

Seems worse out West than I ever experienced back East. More sand/gravel/dust blowing around out here from Texas Westward apparently. Roads are dirtier.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Wow! Never seen something like that before from rocks...I have seen a spark plug do similar damage but not rocks or gravel.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

That's crazy how it shattered the way it did. Glad you and your wife are okay.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

blue
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    That shattered pretty good! Any idea what hit you? It wasn't light weight for sure.

I live in an area that has scales and the last stop before a long haul up the i5 going North. I try to stay away from trucks at all costs. I always see stuff flying off them, hoarding lane space, etc...

Glad you guys weren't hurt.
    What had happen what ever it was that hit, was really solid, idk what it was, but it hit the top can just cracked everywhere and a couple of parts f glass came on me, then I slowed down and if I hit bump some more would keep falling down on me and that is what it looked like when I finally got pulled off.

blue
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I know in TX if you got the tag number you could have gotten him to pay for it.

Glad nothing serious happen, flying glass debris is never fun.
    I was not able to, had to slow down pretty good because the glass was breaking off if I would speed up or hit a bump so slowed down

ASh

blue
    2002 Trans Am

That is for sure the great thing is my wife and I are ok
    Thanks yall thought I would just share
    The funny thing is that I had my Oakley eye pro on. (military type issued)
    I was in a IED blast when I was wearing my Oakley eye pro and lost my left eye, but it stop a couple other fragment from coming in to take my right eye also.

ASh

silver
    '02 Firebird Formula

Wow, it must of been a rock or something bouncing under the truck, and then it hit your car. Glad to hear you and the Mrs. are O.K.

Let me be the first one, Thanking you for your service in the military. I notice you are a purple heart veteran

Car looks great, other than the t-top.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Also glad to hear you guys are safe. Could have really sucked if you hit a big bump and had glass fragments fall I need your face. I also thank you for your service.

blue
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 024mula View Post
    Wow, it must of been a rock or something bouncing under the truck, and then it hit your car. Glad to hear you and the Mrs. are O.K.

Let me be the first one, Thanking you for your service in the military. I notice you are a purple heart veteran

Car looks great, other than the t-top.
    Thanks, I did my time, had my fun and now time for others to take my spot,
    my wife and I still deal with Veterans (she is retired too with 3 deployments) that deal with PTSD and that is our ministry now around Fort Hood, TX area.

ASh

blue
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by RONS98TA View Post
    Also glad to hear you guys are safe. Could have really sucked if you hit a big bump and had glass fragments fall I need your face. I also thank you for your service.
    Well if it hit my face all it could do was make me better looking lol no pretty face here, only a blind dog and mother could love a face like mine, lol
    sorry making jokes, yes truly a blessing God's hand is there watching and just not my time to go yet

ASh

blue
    2002 Trans Am

UPDATE:
    Ok USAA came by and some of the chips on the front bumper, hood and fenders are in need of being repainted. well body shop I'm using is the president of the Christian car club is the owner. so trust his work and want to use him. it was almost $2000 worth of body work that needs to be done. Now the question is what do I want to do with my hood. we talked about doing a black strip on the hood that would come down on the front bumper or I was thinking of doing the wsq hood, idk yet which one i'm going with

ASh

silver
    '02 Firebird Formula

There are alot of after market hoods out there, here are the one's I could find.............https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...2&fr=yfp-t-901
    But keep in mind, its going to be fiberglass.

I would love to have your old hood but the shipping would be to much.(my two cense), I like the WS9 for a Trans Am.

What ever you decide to do, is up to you because you own the car.
    Last edited by 024mula; 02-17-2015 at 04:59 PM.

Black
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Holy cow! That would have been pretty scary! First off, glad you're both okay and were able to continue on.

Second - PSA for everyone. Please consider getting a dash cam for events just like this. You can get a 1080p dash cam for around $60 that is a plug-and-forget. I was in a situation just like this, except it was a loaded gravel truck. It was peppering the freeway along with all the cars behind him. As the rocks hit the ground, tires would kick them up and pelt all the cars. My front was chipped and dinged like crazy, along with a huge *THWACK* that cracked my windshield.

When I got home, I popped the memory card and got the truck, plate, and company name. They weren't very friendly at first saying there isn't a way to prove it was them. When I told them I had 1080p video showing his truck doing damage to several cars including mine, the tone changed quickly. Long story short, new windshield, paint, and bodywork was taken care of.

Dash Cams are a very small investment that can literally save you thousands.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

It varies from state to state.

For example...any vehicle in TX that is haul debris, trash, ex...must have a tarp covering the load in order to prevent it flying out and causing any damage. It resulted from heavy construction vehicles damaging windshields. TX added a nice size fine that LEO's will pursue it more so than speeding. Not saying they'll overlook speeding, just saying that they will enforce it.

Now take AL, no such thing, windshield is crack, it's on you, go live in FL, insurance replaces it no deductible.

blue
    2002 Trans Am

USAA was nice to me and covering it, I just have to pay my deductible and we are good. Body shop I'm using, the owner is part of the Christian car club I'm with and is going to throw in the extra painting i'm wanting done for good price. Who ever had this painted before me did a ok job on the paint, but it somewhat is a blessing that all this happen because it will get fresh painted and done correctly and insurance is covering it. sucks have to be without the T/A which is my daily driver, but plus that getting it painted, front bumper is done in by road wear and tear.

ASh

blue
    2002 Trans Am

BTW had to cancel my first order for the driver t-top I got, needed it fast somewhat and so canceled it, but worked out because I got a set with key for $160 shipped, so worked out good. probably will sell my pass side one with key, but all in good time

ASh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information