Silver
    1999 Trans Am

1999 Trans Am Hood

Hey everyone. I have a non Ram Air hood on my 1999 Trans Am. Although it is in great condition, I feel it just needs a little something to break up the monotony, so I am thinking of adding a hood vent of some sort. I was thinking of doing something along the lines of a newer Corvette or Camaro vent. Then I remembered the vents on the older Iroc Camaro's of the 80's. I was wondering if anybody knows if they are a bolt on item, or is there a pocket in the hood which they fit into? Thank you in advance for any help.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Here's about the only way I would try something like this if I stayed with my non-Ram-Air hood.

I'm pretty sure the amount of money and time to do this or like what you're wanting it's just easier and cheaper to get a aftermarket hood.

My WSQ was $675 shipped to my door.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Blue Green Chameleon
    2001 Trans Am Vert

I looked around before ordering my Smoothie Q and have to agree that a shaker would be the only option other than ordering aftermarket.
    2001 Trans Am Vert

Silver
    1999 Trans Am

Thank you so much for the replies. I was fortunate enough to find another non ram air hood locally today and picked it up for a great price. My idea is to see what I can do with it. If it doesn't work out, I still have my original on the car. Some of the ideas I had were to add something like the late 70's Z28 tear drop, the Iroc hood vents like I mentioned before, maybe even the sideways 5 liter style of the mid 80's Trans Am or the sideways style on the 80 Turbo Trans Am. Not trying to be too radical, but show a little ingenuity. Great idea about the shaker, but thats not the path I've chosen at this time

Blue Green Chameleon
    2001 Trans Am Vert

You could try the newer camaro vent.. My buddy put one in his Envoy

Silver
    1999 Trans Am

I saw those online. That looks great!!

Silver
    1999 Trans Am

I found a black colored hood in the local Craigslist which is in very good condition. So hood + $50 = The stock hood has a factory 'bulge' built in already. My plan is to leave the middle bulge the black color, and paint the sides the color of my car. I may buy some type of LS1 badging to adhere to the side of the bulge on the hood. I'll have to install the hood first to line up the body lines from the front bumper to the hood . I can see it in my head, but need to see it on the car for any further planning, which should happen the beginning of next week. My supervisor at work has painting experience, and has offered to help me paint and clear coat the entire hood.

Navy Blue Metallic

check with emblempros. They do custom work.

Silver
    1999 Trans Am

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM02664.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	26787I saved the black hood until next year. For now, I did this to my stock hood. It all peels off later if I don`t like it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM02665.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	26788

Blue Green Chameleon
    2001 Trans Am Vert

I hated getting plastidip off my hood when I did it. Had one for about a year and it would not peel off but came in lil pieces. Had to use bug n tar remover and a credit card. Never do anything large with that crap again.

I do like the style of how you did it and hope it works better for you.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by hardtrailz View Post
    I hated getting plastidip off my hood when I did it. Had one for about a year and it would not peel off but came in lil pieces. Had to use bug n tar remover and a credit card. Never do anything large with that crap again.

I do like the style of how you did it and hope it works better for you.

+1 ^^

learn my lesson, last summer I tried it on my Snowflake wheels to see if I liked it. Yeah I did but when I went to clean it off it has yet to come completely off. Pissing me off cause now my wheels look like shit. I plan on getting them powder coated but now have to get them cleaned before hand. I'll try that bug n tar remover.

Silver
    1999 Trans Am

Hey guys, Thanks for the warning. It certainly never entered my mind that it would be a pain to take off. All other web-searches indicated there would not be a problem. I guess I have to take your concerns as a positive. I'm confident now that it will stay in place for a few summers and won't come peeling off on its own until I get the other hood finished.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

You could check out local vinyl shops to see if they could make you a vinyl center piece/wrap for your hood. Just an idea.

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

Silver
    1999 Trans Am

Funny you say that cammed goat. Since I have the spare hood, that's exactly what I am planning on doing.

Thread Information