Thread: zylon wax

white

zylon wax

hey guys, I was just curious what you thought about the zylon wax some dealerships offer on newer cars? It supposedly lasts 5 years and is guaranteed if bird poop or anything eats through it. I was going to see if they could acid bath my car and follow up with zylon or if it can only be applied on new cars.
    Any ideas anyone? good or bad experiences?
    thanks in advance

2011 Prius

Sounds like a scam, probably is.

Black
    1999 trans am

i dont think anything can last 5 years unless it is washed and waxed weekly and properly

2011 Prius

I seen some wax still bead 6-9 months latter. Check out Dodo Juice or Swissvax..

white

My dad has it on his 07 gmc that has never been detailed and the water still beads. But I don't know how it would do on a car that it wasn't put on new. From what I remember it is a teflon based wax if that makes any difference.

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by pk222 View Post
    My dad has it on his 07 gmc that has never been detailed and the water still beads. But I don't know how it would do on a car that it wasn't put on new. From what I remember it is a teflon based wax if that makes any difference.
    Even some good soaps will have a beading effect. That dealer shit is complete scam. With above waxes I mention, water will never truly hits the surface. Will be damn near dry once the water slides off.

white

Thanks for the info. Probably saved me $200. I think I'm just gonna take the car in and have it professionally done once and then work off of that myself. Right now it isn't too bad for the original 98 sport gold or whatever it's called.

2011 Prius

Thanks for the info. Probably saved me $200. I think I'm just gonna take the car in and have it professionally done once and then work off of that myself. Right now it isn't too bad for the original 98 sport gold or whatever it's called.
    I would personally do it my self, I was like you at first. Yes, being afraid of the buffer is a concern. But look into the PC 7424 XP, it's pretty hard to damage paint with that. Also a little but most forgotten secret is clay bar. Also remember, wax is not a polish.

white

I'm not too afraid of the buffer but I can get it almost professionally done for the cost of materials and I wouldn't have to buy a buffer or polisher.
    I spent a summer at a fire station detailing fire trucks so after that doing it all by hand kind of ruined it for me haha.
    I know about clay bar, first car was a black 89 gt with a decent paint job that got parked under an oak tree every now and then. That wasn't fun.

Professional Detailer GoFast908Z's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Camaro Z28

hey guys, I was just curious what you thought about the zylon wax some dealerships offer on newer cars? It supposedly lasts 5 years and is guaranteed if bird poop or anything eats through it. I was going to see if they could acid bath my car and follow up with zylon or if it can only be applied on new cars.
    Any ideas anyone? good or bad experiences?
    thanks in advance
    Xilon is a gimmick. It is a HEAVILY overpriced sealant. Its good for a few months yes.

It will NOT prevent waterspots like they say it does.
    It will NOT prevent clear coat damage from bird droppings like they say it does.
    It does NOT last for 5 years like they say it does.

I worked for a dealer as the Detail Manager and eventually left because I couldn't deal with the BS and returned to running my own detailing business full time. Its not a bad product, but its not as good as a $20 bottle of Zaino, Wolfgang, or other....
    98 Camaro Z28 M6
    LS3 427ci
    521rwhp / 473rwtq

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Camaro Z28

Teflon based wax is a sales gimmick. It doesn't really do anything that normal wax doesn't do. Get your dad's truck detailed before the clear starts degrading.

white

ok thanks.

So I'm thinking of a meguires clay bar kit zano polish and wax. Does that sound like it would be enough? I still haven't had a chance to detail it because of so much rain.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Camaro Z28

Get the Zaino clay. Also Zaino is a sealant, not a wax.

You can't go wrong with them. Do it sooner than later. The winter weather is much harder on your clear coat than you might think.

white

I'll either do that or have it done professionally.
    I haven't done it because I have nowhere to do it. Its either raining or hot and sunny and your not supposed to detail cars in direct sunlight with the surface of the car hot right?

Also I'm a kind of afraid of having someone else do it because Some of my clear is peeling and I don't want someone to not notice it and make it worse by going over it with a buffer.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Camaro Z28

I'll either do that or have it done professionally.
    I haven't done it because I have nowhere to do it. Its either raining or hot and sunny and your not supposed to detail cars in direct sunlight with the surface of the car hot right?

Also I'm a kind of afraid of having someone else do it because Some of my clear is peeling and I don't want someone to not notice it and make it worse by going over it with a buffer.
    If your clear is coming off, its too late. Its gonna spread badly. But hopefully its limited to a small body panel? Since you have clearcoat failure, I wouldn't recommend using any buffer on it at this point.

white

Its mostly on my rs side skirts but there are small cubic inch sections on the quarter panel and rear bumper that have it. Everything looks good around it, no bubbling or hazyness just missing clear. And on one spot I made it a little worse when I was washing it and it came of really really easily

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Camaro Z28

yeah its probably gonna spread then.

white

anything that can be done?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Camaro Z28

anything that can be done?
    re-clear the car

white

guess I'm gonna have a crappy paint job until I either get a new car or hit that lotto haha thanks for all your help. until then I'll work with what I have

Thread Information