Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

WTF!!! is on my car!!! SON of a bit...

This is a discussion on WTF!!! is on my car!!! SON of a bit... within the Showcar and Detailing forums, part of the General Help category; Originally Posted by DEADBYDAWN Thanks Goose!! One more question for the detail master.... Could you explain what a sealant does ...

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by DEADBYDAWN View Post
    Thanks Goose!! One more question for the detail master.... Could you explain what a sealant does exactly and how to apply it??? Thanks again
    Sealants are man-made synthetic "wax"
    It's designed to duplicate as close as possible the shine, and gloss of a carnauba wax
    Waxes (carnuaba) are known for their warmth, and depth in their finish; sealants are known for their reflection, shine, and durability

Sealants are best applied on a nice clean surface, preferably after you've used a polish, or cleaner wax that would not contain any silicone oils, wax, or anything that will interfere with the bonding of sealant to the paint

If you ever use a polish/compound that may finish a bit "oily"; just wipe the surface down with a mix of water and isoproply alcohol at a 50-50 ratio before you lay down any sealant. This will ensure a better surface for the sealant to bond, and crosslink.
    Sealants require anywhere from 8 to 24 hours to cure after you have buffed it off, some may require less curing time
    What this curing term means is keeping the car away from the elements like, water, heat that would interfere with the curing process (bonding/crosslinking)
    After you've had a coat of sealant, any subsequent layers will require less curing time ~4-8 hours in some cases, depending on the manufacture's instructions

Yeah, it's a little more involved than carnauba, but the trade off is in the durability

If you still like carnauba wax, but want more durability, Collinite 476S Paste Wax is a good choice, and it's a well-known product for its durability. It's detergent proof

That's the best I can describe sealant and wax to you. Hopefully that helped a little
    Thanks for the compliments, I'm still a student at this

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Thanks for the help!!

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Z06-Goose View Post
    Haha!! talk your sister into having a garage sale this weekend to get rid of that junk!
    Hellzyeah!

And take the proceeds to buy a head/cam package!

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

That would be a good plan but all the junk she has is pretty much worthless!!! hahahaha

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Just ordered some of that RED MOOSE glaze and a Lake Country finishing pad for my PC. Ill let you know how it turns out and take some pics but if Goose uses it -it must be awsome.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by DEADBYDAWN View Post
    Just ordered some of that RED MOOSE glaze and a Lake Country finishing pad for my PC. Ill let you know how it turns out and take some pics but if Goose uses it -it must be awsome.
    That's a good combo. Work the product in at #3, once it's spread out on the small area you're going to be working, up the speed to about 4.5. Keep the pad flat over the surface and work on it in overlapping motions until the galze becomes translucent but not quite dry. Remove with a MF towel, and move over to the next session
    When using the PC, you always want to shut it off while making contact with the surface, otherwise the pad may come flying off. Don't ask me how I know

So, let me know how it goes. It should work great for you
    ~Goose

Black
    1998 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by BANDITCAR View Post
    Just wash your car inside the garage with the door down. only evidence will be a little soapy water leaking from under the door, heh heh.
    I said screw it today, and did it. They werent home, my baby is clean now....even vacuumed and all cherry smelling on the inside

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I washed mine last night and it was clear outside today but earlier it looked smokey out again!!! FU-K!!!!!

Black
    1998 Formula

yea, i smelled the smoke so i finished up in the garage

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I guess if I wake up to ashes I will wash it again in a few days. psssssssh!!!

I Love High-Explosives! TheChad1371's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

i wash mine once a month. but between that i clean her up with some mcguires (sp) detail spray. granted pewter is alot easier to keep clean than black. my wifes got a black fusion. she hates cleaning cars, and i hate having a dirty car, so you do the math. but worse than ash...pollen!! i love when i wash my car sat morning, and its green by sat afternoon.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

My car attracts pollen like a MF. I noticed when I waxed it -it has Major static electricity. I am gonna try one of those grounding straps to stop it. I was told they reALLY help. Now I just have to find out where to buy one. I use that Meguires also its really good.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

ebay has everything man...lol

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I went outside today and guess what? Its back!!! sonofa bitch!! I have ashes all over my car again. Its smokey as hell outside also. Fkin forest fires blow!!

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

The GTO stays in my bedroom. The wife sleeps in the garage....I do put a WifeCover over her though.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

hahaha, nice

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    The GTO stays in my bedroom. The wife sleeps in the garage....I do put a WifeCover over her though.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

^ Thats awsome!!!! LOL

BlacK
    2001 WS6

You gotta love Florida.

A few weeks ago I had just finished doing the car with XMT's #2, I'm in the driveway when it starts raining ashes, I was like WTF IS THAT?????

Literally ashes falling everywhere. Talk about pissed. On impulse I was going to run to the local do it yourself car wash and get it off, but I didn't know how long it was going to be coming down. Had to wait two days, the shit just kept coming on down, (This was before I got a place with a garage)

Your in Tampa, I'm in Palm Bay, clear across the state and we both had ashes raining down on our cars? Weird. I think their burning acres instead of paying for land clearing, just a guess.

All's I can say is, now that I have a garage, I can never go back to being garageless....NEVER!...NEVER!!...NEVER!!!...MUHAHA HAHAHAAAAAA...

Not only does it protect the car from the elements, ya know normal things, like rain, snow, hail, hurricanes and condensation, it also protects from the occasional ash shower. Eliminates the constant putting on and taking off of a car cover too. It's just all pluses.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information