Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Winter detailing

I know this may seem like a stupid question but I was wondering does anyone know the best way to detail your car in the winter. It's like 28 degrees here so I would rather not have water freezing to my car while washing it. Also, I don't want to pay someone to detail it. If anyone has any suggestions let me know.

White
    2002 TA

I keep the hose in the garage during winter. You have to wait until the temp is above 32 to wash the car. Also, have some salt melt ready to pour on the driveway so you don’t slip and break you ass (the concrete can be much cooler than the air).
    One day I want to own a heated garage with a drain in the floor so I can enjoy keeping my car clean no matter the weather.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Unless you have access to a heated wash bay, you'll probably just have to wait for a warmer day. Make sure you treat your door seals to a little spray silicone or GM seal lubricant so they do not freeze shut on you after the wash job.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Unless you have access to a heated wash bay, you'll probably just have to wait for a warmer day. Make sure you treat your door seals to a little spray silicone or GM seal lubricant so they do not freeze shut on you after the wash job.
    I've got this waterless spray stuff that is suppose to clean the car the same as using water. I have used it before I like just normal washing and waxing better but it does the job when used as long as the car isn't super dirty, which it isn't but it is too dirty for my liking. Here is the pic of the stuff:

Do you guys think I should use it and until the weather gets warmer or just wait until it gets warmer? Or maybe try to find a heated car wash bay, not sure if there are any around here.

Quote Originally Posted by psycho_puppies View Post
    One day I want to own a heated garage with a drain in the floor so I can enjoy keeping my car clean no matter the weather.
    I was thinking the same thing.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Some people are big fans of waterless, some aren't. I for one, am not. I have never used a waterless myself so I am probably not the best person to give advice on this product. But for me I like to rinse my car off, soak it in foam, rinse again, spray it with foam again then scrub with micro-chenille mit, and rinse again. that way I "feel" better about seeing the soap/dirt come off.

as far as your product, most I have seen do not use a circular motion (per step 6). most use a place towel on spray and slowly pull down panel.

BTW, I like step 4.

hopefully someone else with more experience with this or other waterless products will chime in.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by BlackTAWS6 View Post
    Some people are big fans of waterless, some aren't. I for one, am not. I have never used a waterless myself so I am probably not the best person to give advice on this product. But for me I like to rinse my car off, soak it in foam, rinse again, spray it with foam again then scrub with micro-chenille mit, and rinse again. that way I "feel" better about seeing the soap/dirt come off.

as far as your product, most I have seen do not use a circular motion (per step 6). most use a place towel on spray and slowly pull down panel.

BTW, I like step 4.

hopefully someone else with more experience with this or other waterless products will chime in.
    I will probably use it until it gets warmer and then i'll just wash my car the normal way. Unless of course someone who has experience with waterless car wash products says it will damage the paint.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

ts|s did a write up on a waterless car wash a while back: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125020

Black/ Silver

ts|s did a write up on a waterless car wash a while back: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125020
    That's pretty cool, wonder how it compares to the complete waterless washes, the one I have is annoying sometimes it leaves a waxy residue if you don't buff it out real good. I might try that no rinse stuff.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I have only ever used the quick detailer sprays -- never the waterless wash products. I actually had forgotten about them until I saw this thread.

Black
    99 Camaro SS

Where at in VA are you? I'm in Norfolk, VA and I washed my car Friday afternoon, put some Zaino Z-6 on it. The next day I came out and saw that it wasn't dirty or had water spots so I put a fresh coat of Z-2 just for added protection.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by SH1ZN1T View Post
    Where at in VA are you? I'm in Norfolk, VA and I washed my car Friday afternoon, put some Zaino Z-6 on it. The next day I came out and saw that it wasn't dirty or had water spots so I put a fresh coat of Z-2 just for added protection.
    I live in Burke, VA (Northern VA) We have snow so it's kinda impossible to wash it without it freezing. I might try that no rinse stuff though since I would do that in the garage.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

I might actually try that waterless my car has been needing it bad and I was actually dreading doing it with a hose also.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    That's pretty cool, wonder how it compares to the complete waterless washes, the one I have is annoying sometimes it leaves a waxy residue if you don't buff it out real good. I might try that no rinse stuff.
    /thread.

Optimum No Rinse (ONR) is the best for your circumstances. I just did my truck and wife's ford fusion with it. They are both black and were hammered with 2 weeks of salt and road slush. Took 4 gallons of water to do both cars. Did them both in the garage with minimal amount of water all over the floor.

I would NEVER use a waterless aerosol. Your just asking for scratches.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    /thread.

Optimum No Rinse (ONR) is the best for your circumstances. I just did my truck and wife's ford fusion with it. They are both black and were hammered with 2 weeks of salt and road slush. Took 4 gallons of water to do both cars. Did them both in the garage with minimal amount of water all over the floor.

I would NEVER use a waterless aerosol. Your just asking for scratches.
    I just ordered the ONR yesterday so when it comes in I'll see how it does.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

My car sits in the garage under a cover in the wnter. The cover mars up the hood, front bumper/headlight covers, and sail panel a little, as these parts have all been repainted and the clear coat is no where near as hard as the factory paint. I'll work on it in the spring.

Thread Information