M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

When is it too late?!

Well, this aint about my car but my dad's truck. Its a '99 super duty. Its been outside it whole life and exsposed too some pretty nasty elements, like the salty sea breeze in the Key's were my dad works most of the time, and this awful south florida sun. Its got water spots caked on it and i was wondering if these applications i see you guys use like the claybar and cut would bring her back too life, or is it too late. Heres some pics:

Even the windows got water spots!

Oh and my dad's CETA.

He takes really good care of it, and its in really good shape for its year, miles, and what it's used for and what its been through. But i just thought it would be nice to try and bring the paint back so it could look as good as the truck really is. Thanks,
    Yulian

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

It's not too late, but it will require some work...
    A claybar will take most of the contamination that are present in the paint, and will stop further damage. you then need to use a good paint cleaner to remove oxidation, and dead paint, followed by a good polish to correct defects, and a glaze to nourish the paint, and a good wax or sealant to protect the paint

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Thank you for responding sir. I was hoping you would. I was looking through some of your previous posts at some of the cars you have worked on and was very impressed with the results you achevied. You obviously now your stuff! So were would i be able to get some of these products? I found this website called detailersparadise.com that sells some of this stuff (mostly prima), but i saw you used some other products called Mezerna and some sealant called...? Oh and what would you recomend to get the water spots off the windows as well. Thanks again!

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by RAWPWR3 View Post
    Thank you for responding sir. I was hoping you would. I was looking through some of your previous posts at some of the cars you have worked on and was very impressed with the results you achevied. You obviously now your stuff! So were would i be able to get some of these products? I found this website called detailersparadise.com that sells some of this stuff (mostly prima), but i saw you used some other products called Mezerna and some sealant called...? Oh and what would you recomend to get the water spots off the windows as well. Thanks again!
    The Prima line from detailers paradise is a top of the line products that I highly recommend.
    What you need is a PC Buffer at a minimum to work those defects out. You'll need a couple of LC Orange pads, and from the Menzerna line, probably Menzerna Powergloss I recommend you get it from that link, as you'll get a free LC orange pad with your purchase, and though it says to use with a yellow pad, judging by the paint condition, the orange pad should be good enough. You can then follow up with Prima amigo (glaze) and top it with the Prima Epic (Sealant) for better protection, and durability. There's also a Sealant that I like a lot is called Rejex made by CorrosionX porducts and it's sold at True Value Hardware Stores in the car care section, or I believe Ace Hardware may also carry it, great stuff and great in protection and shine against the elements
    As for the water spot on the windows, try a little vinegar mixed with distilled water and see if that dissolves the water spots. I would also recommend Steel Wool 0000 available at your local hardware store. Make sure it's "0000" grade. You can run it across the windshield, and should remove the water spots, and even overspray safely (yes, it's safe, I've used it on my own Z06)
    Don't need to apply too much pressure, just glide the steel wool over the area either dry, or with glass cleaner

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

White Man1!

back 'n better than ever Kjz99z28's Avatar

White/Black
    1999 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Z06-Goose View Post
    The Prima line from detailers paradise is a top of the line products that I highly recommend.
    What you need is a PC Buffer at a minimum to work those defects out. You'll need a couple of LC Orange pads, and from the Menzerna line, probably Menzerna Powergloss I recommend you get it from that link, as you'll get a free LC orange pad with your purchase, and though it says to use with a yellow pad, judging by the paint condition, the orange pad should be good enough. You can then follow up with Prima amigo (glaze) and top it with the Prima Epic (Sealant) for better protection, and durability. There's also a Sealant that I like a lot is called Rejex made by CorrosionX porducts and it's sold at True Value Hardware Stores in the car care section, or I believe Ace Hardware may also carry it, great stuff and great in protection and shine against the elements
    As for the water spot on the windows, try a little vinegar mixed with distilled water and see if that dissolves the water spots. I would also recommend Steel Wool 0000 available at your local hardware store. Make sure it's "0000" grade. You can run it across the windshield, and should remove the water spots, and even overspray safely (yes, it's safe, I've used it on my own Z06)
    Don't need to apply too much pressure, just glide the steel wool over the area either dry, or with glass cleaner
    Great tips, I need to try some of these!

Blue
    04 Silverado

goose, is that powergloss what you use on your jobs to work swirls out every time?

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by craig02ta View Post
    goose, is that powergloss what you use on your jobs to work swirls out every time?
    No, what I use I imported it from Europe. It's the Menzerna PO85RD3.02 is one notch under the Powergloss in terms of cutting power. The PO85RD3.02 is not available in the US, but I believe the 3.01 is availabe under Menzerna SIP (Super Intensive Polish)

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Goose, what kind of a buffer / polisher do you recommend using? I have a black car and it needs more help than I can do by hand. I clay barred it and it still has water spots.

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Thanks for the advice ZO6 goose. I will definatley be trying this stuff out, and if all goes well ill be using it on the CE, i noticed it had some swirls in the paint. But for the most part its in alot better shape than his truck. Oh and one last thing, for the CE that has all the graphics and such, would you try and stay away from touching all that stuff with the products, or is it safe to use on stickers? Thanks again.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    Goose, what kind of a buffer / polisher do you recommend using? I have a black car and it needs more help than I can do by hand. I clay barred it and it still has water spots.
    There are better buffers than the PC in terms of getting the job done faster, but it's also reserved for people with experience, as it has a learning curve before you can feel comfortable about using it. That being said, for someone who wants to get into buffing his own car, I'd recommend the PC7424 Orbital Buffer. The learning curve is like 15-20 minutes of practice, providing you've seen some videos on its proper use techniques.

There are two kind of water spots you can have, the ones that are recent, and are embedded lightly into the first layer of the clearcoat, and the ones that have gone a little bit deeper
    For the first one, you should try the dissolving method before you try anything else. A mix of white vinegar and distilled water soaked into a towel, set it on top and let it rest on it for 10-15 minutes should for most part take care of it. If that doesn't work you can buff it out with a polisher like Prima Swirl or Menzerna
    The other type of water spot that gets deep into the clear coat can still be buffed out, but it may leave a little mark, if that's the case then it may need to be wetsanded
    As a rule of thumb, try the least abrasive method first

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Thanks Goose! I think I'm going to get a buffer. I was looking up the PC and found the Ultimate Detailing Machine and was wondering if that's any better or the same as the PC.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    Thanks Goose! I think I'm going to get a buffer. I was looking up the PC and found the Ultimate Detailing Machine and was wondering if that's any better or the same as the PC.
    It's about the same, but it goes up to 7k OPM or so, it may have a little more power than the PC, but from the reviews I've read, it's not that much better than the PC. I think it's supposed to be more "quiet" but not enough differences to make me go and get one. I guess the jury is still out, and this is just my opinion...in all fairness, it's been out too short of a period of time to know for certain

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by Z06-Goose View Post
    It's about the same, but it goes up to 7k OPM or so, it may have a little more power than the PC, but from the reviews I've read, it's not that much better than the PC. I think it's supposed to be more "quiet" but not enough differences to make me go and get one. I guess the jury is still out, and this is just my opinion...in all fairness, it's been out too short of a period of time to know for certain

Thanks for all the info. I just ordered the UDM and going to give it a try seeing it's about the same and comes with more stuff. I'll post up how it works even though I don't have anything to compare it too!

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Check this out.
    Goose and I hit it with two steps. Prima Amigo and Rejex.
    That Grand Am GT has been outside in the Colorado sun (closer to it by about a mile) its entire life. Never been garaged unless it was getting an oil change.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55897

You can at least prevent the paint from getting worse. That was the basic goal of the Grand Am. Overall, it came out better than expected. Still has a great shine. We just had a downpour here, beads GREAT!
    Hope that helped.

Thread Information