Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

what should i dry with?

well right now im using "the absorber" chamois...n pisses me off because this is a new one..and i clearly remember the past ones ive had dried real well..but this just leaves wet streaks n its real annoying..which chamois would you guys recommend..i really don't care on price unless its some bullshit from europe that costs 500 bux..just a chamois or something similar to dry the damn car without streaks!!!!!

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Waffle Weave Towels
    Do a google search on Waffle Weave Towels

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by 35thAnniZ28 View Post
    Yup. They're better than chamois (sp?) as they're less probable to induce swirl marks, and they can go a long way before you have to wring it

NBM
    2001 CAMARO

A gas powered leaf blower... delivers gale-force winds in a concentrated area and works fast.

Collector Yellow (54U)
    2002 Trans Am CE

LEAF BLOWER!

I wouldn't use a gas powered leaf blower as I heard stories of someone drying their car with one and it started spitting lubricants all over the finish.

I have a Black&Decker 230mph Leaf Hog which you can get from walmart for like $70 bucks or so.
    IT WORKS BRILLIANTLY!

No towel, no matter how absorbent, will ever be able to get the water out of nooks and crannies like a leaf blower will.
    Let's put it into perspective.

How many different towels would you need to dry every different section of your car? ie. Paint, trim, engine, wheels, tires...
    Maybe 6 or 7?
    How many Leaf blowers do you need for all different sections of the car?
    ONE!

Lets also consider...most towels or chamois will absorb most all water...but not ALL water. A thin film will be left on the surface that you have to go back over with detailer spray if you want a truly show finish.
    The Leaf Blower....gets rid of it all leaving you with the shiniest finish you will ever see after drying.

Concerns:
    A lot of guys ask, "What if it blows particles up onto your paint from the ground, wouldn't that scratch the finish?"

Well, if you just washed your car, then that means that the area surrounding the car is wet and there are no loose particles to be blown up from the ground. Plus, who dries from the ground up? To properly dry with a leaf blower you point it downward starting at the top and working your way down.
    Also, thing about this. If a particle of debris does get blown by the leaf blower, it will only get blown across the surface ONCE and then it is Gone!
    If using a chamois or towel, the debris gets moved around on the surface of the paint MANY times.

I wrote this long post because I really believe that the Leaf Blower (electric) is the way to go and want to pass on my pleasure with using mine.
    Last edited by BANDITCAR; 12-15-2007 at 02:33 PM.
    2002 Trans Am Collector Edition WS6 ASC# 619
    Coupe | Collector Yellow on Ebony Leather | A4 | TCS | #126 of 510 T-Top w/A4 made
    CETA 619 "The Falcon"

Collector Edition Owner Site: www.collectorfbody.com

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

A leaf blower does work pretty good and the neighbors doo begin to look at you like you have lost your mind, I use both, the leaf blower and sometimes i like getting out a few microfiber towels and going to town. Doesnt matter which brand just make sure when u wash them dont use any Soap on them.
    Leaves no streaks
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

I use both. Leaf blowers do work really well and i have never had anything come through and land on the paint. Chamois work really well too but they just cant get in places the air can, thats why im starting to go leaf blower more and more.
    99 TA-T56 swapped, Lid, TB Bypass, LS6 Intake, !EGR, !AIR, Custom Cam, Mids, O/R-Y, 3:73s, Cutout, Flowmaster.
    A4 numbers w/ mids only 320RWHP 333RWTQ
    Cam numbers and track times soon.

98 NBM Hardtop Formula- Bone stock, A4, 187,000 miles
    13.8@ 103 2.1 60' 1357 DA

blue
    1970 camaro

car wash manager

Use Microfiber Towels they are the best

NBM
    2001 CAMARO

Wink

Well, I just assumed that if you could afford an LS1, your leaf blower would not be an oil leaking POS.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

I agree. The leaf blower is a nice tool to have. It takes care of those water deposits in crannies and around the tail lights that seem to seep out forever after you're done drying...

NBM
    2001 CAMARO

A leaf blower is just another power tool to add to your arsenal of detailing tools .......

1..Dewalt or SNAP ON variable speed buffer. I use both.

2..Porter Cable 7424.

3..Cyclo Dual head ,buffer/carpet cleaner.

4..Craftsman 6.5 hp 40 gal air compressor.

5..Ridgid contractor grade 7 gal. vac.

5..Orbit cleaning systems,steam cleaner. adjustable from 80deg to 320deg of steam with 2000 PSI.

6.. Honda 3200psi cold water pressure washer.,for mobile truck washes.

7.. Last but not least.a Huskvarna back pack leaf blower....yes I do realize thats a little much to use just for drying cars,...but it works wonders on yards, driveways,the shop parking lot, and clogged gutters.

glimmerglassdetailing.com

Topaz Blue, White
    2002 BMW M3, S10 Xtreme

I use both an electric leaf blower (not gas! for reasons mentioned above) and waffle weave drying towels. The leaf blower really helps in colder temps where the water doesnt want to dry as fast in the seams.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by BANDITCAR View Post
    LEAF BLOWER!

I wouldn't use a gas powered leaf blower as I heard stories of someone drying their car with one and it started spitting lubricants all over the finish.

I have a Black&Decker 230mph Leaf Hog which you can get from walmart for like $70 bucks or so.
    IT WORKS BRILLIANTLY!

No towel, no matter how absorbent, will ever be able to get the water out of nooks and crannies like a leaf blower will.
    Let's put it into perspective.

How many different towels would you need to dry every different section of your car? ie. Paint, trim, engine, wheels, tires...
    Maybe 6 or 7?
    How many Leaf blowers do you need for all different sections of the car?
    ONE!

Lets also consider...most towels or chamois will absorb most all water...but not ALL water. A thin film will be left on the surface that you have to go back over with detailer spray if you want a truly show finish.
    The Leaf Blower....gets rid of it all leaving you with the shiniest finish you will ever see after drying.

Concerns:
    A lot of guys ask, "What if it blows particles up onto your paint from the ground, wouldn't that scratch the finish?"

Well, if you just washed your car, then that means that the area surrounding the car is wet and there are no loose particles to be blown up from the ground. Plus, who dries from the ground up? To properly dry with a leaf blower you point it downward starting at the top and working your way down.
    Also, thing about this. If a particle of debris does get blown by the leaf blower, it will only get blown across the surface ONCE and then it is Gone!
    If using a chamois or towel, the debris gets moved around on the surface of the paint MANY times.

I wrote this long post because I really believe that the Leaf Blower (electric) is the way to go and want to pass on my pleasure with using mine.
    A guy that used to cut the neighbors grass decided to blow my white iroc z off with a POS gas blower and it blew specs of oil all over my car. I was SUPER pissed. I mentioned this to someone on these forums and they acted like there was no way this was possible. Well guess what- it happened to me-why would I make that shit up? Would a new gas blower do this-prolly not but the POS this guy had did. When I told the guy not to blow my car off ever again he said "why not?" hahahahahaha!!!!!

The less you wipe the car with anything the less chance of inducing swirls-so in theory a electric blower would help reduce wiping.
    BTW-I dry my car with *COBRA* Microfibre waffle weave.

Red
    2001 ws6

leaf blower followed by microfiber towel

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

after I wash my car, I drive it down the road to my apartment and its dry

Red
    2001 ws6

ya, driving it at 100+ also dries it

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I use a DF Towel and I love it.

2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 A4 - Light Pewter Metallic
    Direct Flo lid, SLP Loudmouth, Bassani Offroad Y-Pipe, BMR strut tower brace, BMR subframe connectors, shift points tune and !EGR

2011 Kia Forte EX A6 Sportmatic - Titanium Silver Metallic

NBM
    2000 WS6

I use the cheap ass Microfiber Towels they sell at Walmart for about $7.00.....( The big blue ones).They work great for me....Also use them to remove wax's /polish's. Gone'na get burn'et by saying this but they work good for me. At a fair price too..........
    2000 NBM WS6

/oo_________oo\
    |==_/_ws6_\_==|

><(((º>´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information