Black
    1999 Trans Am

What to look for in a professional detailer

So I've come to the conclusion that I dont trust myself to buff my car. However, it needs buffed(i think) cuz its got hella waterspots under the wax and some slight scratches. So I need to know if bodyshops are really the best place to take my car to get buffed and what should I look for/ask them to make sure they dont fubar my paint(black=imperfection magnet). Or perhaps I dont need to buff it to get that stuff out??? Any help on this would be appreciated.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by HOBS View Post
    So I've come to the conclusion that I dont trust myself to buff my car. However, it needs buffed(i think) cuz its got hella waterspots under the wax and some slight scratches. So I need to know if bodyshops are really the best place to take my car to get buffed and what should I look for/ask them to make sure they dont fubar my paint(black=imperfection magnet). Or perhaps I dont need to buff it to get that stuff out??? Any help on this would be appreciated.
    The detaling industry is very complex these days...
    There are old school detailers, body shop detailers, and modern new era detailers

What you would want to ask them is what step-process they use
    You're looking for a step that will correct defects (compound) whether they use wool pads or foam pads, and what kind of finishing polish they use
    A modern detailer would have the best products and best sealant and waxes.
    Old school detailers and body-shop detailers wouls most likely have generic products normally bought in bulks to to their details...

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by Z06-Goose View Post
    The detaling industry is very complex these days...
    There are old school detailers, body shop detailers, and modern new era detailers

What you would want to ask them is what step-process they use
    You're looking for a step that will correct defects (compound) whether they use wool pads or foam pads, and what kind of finishing polish they use
    A modern detailer would have the best products and best sealant and waxes.
    Old school detailers and body-shop detailers wouls most likely have generic products normally bought in bulks to to their details...
    That's nice, but how do we know whitch is better?

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by SHines-IT View Post
    That's nice, but how do we know whitch is better?
    You may want to ask them for any recent detail or reference...
    Also, whatever they say about their process would also give you an indication if they're what you looking for

It's hard to tell. references will be your best bet...

Black
    1999 Trans Am

I'd love to have goose detail it but my rearend is on its last leg so a hometown detailer would be best. For one more question whats a fair price to have an entire car detailed? Thanks for the input guys.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

The price would depend on how much work is involved. Some people really neglect their vehicles exterior and interior- for example- large stains from spilled drinks/food on a cars interior will require a extractor to remove and areas like door jams,trunks, and under the hood can take alot of time if they have been ignored.

A vehicles paint can require several passes with a buffer/polish to correct severe swirls and scratches or can take as little as one pass on a vehice that has light swirls.
    Cost also depends alot on weather the "detailer" knows what they are doing. In the detailing world there seems to be alot of people who think they are detailers but really have no clue. (Before I decided to learn how to detail a car myself and do paint correction, I experienced this first hand. I paid a "detailer" to buff my 87 Iroc and he burnt the paint off two spots on the car and I figured out that all he really did was apply wax with a buffer to hide the swirls. The second time I was charged $250 and the "detailer" didn't correct any swirls or scratches.)

I would say $300-500 depending on the cars condition and what you want done. This kind of detail would produce results like Goose (or close to it)
    I have seen guys that detail alot of exotic cars in peoples collections in the Miami area that probably get alot more but they spend up to 3-4 days on a car. The area you live in may play a small part in the price as well.
    Last edited by LETHALxLS1; 08-02-2009 at 02:00 PM.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Thanks for the input guys.

Thread Information