Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

What causes Swirl Marks?

This is a discussion on What causes Swirl Marks? within the Showcar and Detailing forums, part of the General Help category; Originally Posted by 4get gto I don't think this is his first parade....He did it good............

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by 4get gto View Post
    I don't think this is his first parade....He did it good.........

NBM
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    Whats that suppose to mean ???????

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Whats that suppose to mean ???????
    From your post I figured you thought I requested pictures for proof of what he did detailing wise- but I just like looking at pics of nicely detailed cars/trucks- thats all.

Just joking around really.
    Last edited by LETHALxLS1; 03-19-2009 at 05:33 PM.

NBM
    2000 WS6

Its all good.........

Now that you said that......Yea I think he should post pictures......

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Its all good.........

Now that you said that......Yea I think he should post pictures......
    Word up! LOL

Here is a picture of my car from my last detail job-

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

okay so just read through all these posts and i found a lot of preventative measures. I realized I have been doing things a little wrong, but how do i get rid of the swirl marks... rubbing compound or polish? I don't think the car has ever seen compound before and i have used it on other vehicles. What does the clay bar do and what is collinite #845? Thanks guys i learned a lot from this thread, just wondering if there was a way to do it without a five step process.

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by egod View Post
    okay so just read through all these posts and i found a lot of preventative measures. I realized I have been doing things a little wrong, but how do i get rid of the swirl marks... rubbing compound or polish? I don't think the car has ever seen compound before and i have used it on other vehicles. What does the clay bar do and what is collinite #845? Thanks guys i learned a lot from this thread, just wondering if there was a way to do it without a five step process.
    Polishing refers to the act of restoring gloss by removing contaminants, restoring valuable oils and smoothing the paint surface. Most polishes accomplish this by being a mild abrasive and some do it by way of a chemical reaction.

There are three basic types of polishes:
    1.) Polish
    2.) Cleaner
    3.) Rubbing Compound

All three of these remove some paint from the car. The main difference is between them is how aggressive they are; that is, how much paint they remove from the surface. Polish is the least aggressive, rubbing compound is the most aggressive, and cleaners are somewhere in between. Since rubbing compound is the most abrasive to your car, I'd recommend trying out some polish first and see if that removes the swirl marks. If polish doesn't work, move down to a cleaner. Your last resort should be a rubbing compound.

So, basically, it's always better to remove too little paint first than to remove more paint than you were wanting/needing to in order to get rid of the swirl marks....

In response to what claying is, it serves basically the same purpose as a very fine (not much abrasiveness) polish: it removes airborne contaminants, tree sap, tar, bugs, etc. from the paint surface. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND CLAYING YOUR CAR! Clay works by lifting contaminants off the car's surface, and the contaminants become stuck inside the clay as it is lightly moved along the paint. One nice thing about claying is that it isn't abrasive, even compared to polish. Also, unlike the majority of polishes, you can use clay on other surfaces like the windshield and exterior trim. To use automotive clay, you'll need to have some type of lubricant to allow the clay to slide over the car's surface (and prevent scratching). The most common lubricants used with clay are usually either "quick detailer" sprays or using a tablespoon or two of car wash to roughly 20 ounces of distilled water inside a spray bottle. It's very important to make sure you don't run the clay across any dry paint that hasn't been misted with the lubricant. Also, once the bottom of the clay becomes clogged with particles, you'll want to stretch the clay out and fold it over so you have a fresh side of the clay.

Collinite #845 is a liquid carnauba wax. In my opinion, it's a top notch wax. You'd want to use Collinite #845, as with any wax, as the last step in detailing the paint. Its purpose is to provide a protective barrier between the outside elements and your car's newly detailed (and swirl-free) paint.

I know this is one hell of a long reply, but I hope it helps you out!

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

Dude that was a great reply, I finally think I gotta grip on everything. Now I can start to make it shine without spending tons of money on products and time on techniques that won't work for me.

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by egod View Post
    Dude that was a great reply, I finally think I gotta grip on everything. Now I can start to make it shine without spending tons of money on products and time on techniques that won't work for me.
    Hey thanks! I'm glad to know I could help you out

Awaiting Activation superman4evr's Avatar

Red Jewell Tintcoat
    2008 Grand Prix GXP

I 2nd the Collinite 845. Great stuff!

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

Once you clay it, take care of any scratches, and put some carnauba or synthetic wax on you car, maintaining that gloss/depth/clarity is a breeze! Just to give you an idea of how easy it is to maintain a great paint finish after you've detailed the car that first time, I just went and snapped a few pics of my car in the garage (not even in the best lighting). It's been several months since I clayed it, and I've never used any type of abrasive polish or compound ever since I first bought it; and my TA isn't a garage queen, either!

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

it looks really sweet man! My biggest problem is the abundance of rock chip on the hood and front clip. Now I have a project for this weekend

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information