Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What carwash do you use??

This is a discussion on What carwash do you use?? within the Showcar and Detailing forums, part of the General Help category; How about this. Dry the car at 100mph. LOL!!!! Don't have to worry about swirls that way. J/K. I do ...

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

How about this. Dry the car at 100mph. LOL!!!! Don't have to worry about swirls that way.

J/K. I do dry it by driving though.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I used Zaino last time and it worked well. Pinnacle is awsome but cost 20 bucks a bottle. The absorber swirled the hell out of my black car-I use microfibre only to dry it now and use a microfibre mitt to wash it.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Look into getting one of these. It's the only thing I use for washing, drying and removing polish.

http://www.dftowel.com/

Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    I used Zaino last time and it worked well. Pinnacle is awsome but cost 20 bucks a bottle. The absorber swirled the hell out of my black car-I use microfibre only to dry it now and use a microfibre mitt to wash it.

NBM
    2001 CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I experiment with several different things.
    Found a wool mitt that seems to do well.

The problem with the Absorber is simple, swirls. I use it to dry my windows, but not the paint.
    You wash your car outside most of the time. There is dust in the air, and even a little can get on the car inbetween wash and dry. The absorber will drag said dust on the paint.
    I use waffle weave towels to dry mine.
    I think that my post was miss leading I dont even use an absorber myself it was just used as a reference . I use a water sprite chamos . sorry for the confusion .....A chamos is used for drying, but makes for an excelent wash cloth . I detail for a living with over 20 + years exp. I also do water sand and buffing on show cars, and I can tell you when used correctly there is no possible way to get swirls from a chamos when drying a car if used correctly. The correct way to use a chamos is to pull it across the paint in a dragging motion ,not to wad it up and rub the water off ,that can cause swirls. and a wool mit is ok for prep washing before buffing and detaling,but routine use causes swirls and cobb webs. the brand of chamios I use is called a water sprite obtained from a professional detail supplier. and the best car wash is the one with the lowest PH so not to strip your wax, one is as good as the other for prep work,but I use baby shampoo for any routine wash job on a car with good wax. here are a few pics of my work

Last edited by maxwax; 11-14-2007 at 04:20 AM.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I actually just bought this for drying. Cobra http://www.autogeek.net/guzzler-microfiber-combo.html

Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

Quote Originally Posted by maxwax View Post
    A chamos is used for drying, but makes for an excelent wash cloth . I detail for a living with over 20 + years exp. I also do water sand and buffing on show cars, and I can tell you when used correctly there is no possible way to get swirls from a chamos when drying a car if used correctly. The correct way to use a chamos is to pull it across the paint in a dragging motion ,not to wad it up and rub the water off ,that can cause swirls. and a wool mit is ok for prep washing before buffing and detaling,but routine use causes swirls and cobb webs. the brand of chamios I use is called a water sprite obtained from a professional detail supplier. and the best car wash is the one with the lowest PH so not to strip your wax, one is as good as the other for prep work,but I use baby shampoo for any routine wash job on a car with good wax. here are a few pics of my work
    [http://www.ls1.com/forums/attachment...9&d=1195004673
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/attachment...0&d=1195004673
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/attachment...1&d=1195004673
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/attachment...2&d=1195004673
    those links are all invalid

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by maxwax View Post
    A chamos is used for drying, but makes for an excelent wash cloth . I detail for a living with over 20 + years exp. I also do water sand and buffing on show cars, and I can tell you when used correctly there is no possible way to get swirls from a chamos when drying a car if used correctly. The correct way to use a chamos is to pull it across the paint in a dragging motion ,not to wad it up and rub the water off ,that can cause swirls. and a wool mit is ok for prep washing before buffing and detaling,but routine use causes swirls and cobb webs.
    Whatever works for you I guess, but I have to disagree with you on the lambswool mitt. I've been using it for a while and I haven't induced any swirls.

Red
    2001 ws6

the absorber is nothing but trouble.....i used it on my old grand prix for a couple dries and hated it.....ive come to the conclusion NOTHING will touch my car other than microfiber......microfiber sponge, i use microfiber towels to dry, microfiber applicator pads and microfiber towels to remove the wax......as for dish soap dont use it to wash you car with regularly, only if you are going to be clay barring, polishing and waxing alone with it, speaking of detailing, does anyone know when it is to COLD outside to do a full detail on the car (wash, clay bar, polish and wax)....i wanted to get it done before the winter but with school and work i havent gotten a chance and its around 55 here now.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

The Absorber is actually a good tool to have around. I have owned a couple, and as MrLuos pointed out, it can be used for windows, wipe interior. etc...
    As detailing becomes more advanced or people become more knowledgeble (me included) you realize that all new stuff coming out makes old stuff obsolte if you will

Nowadays, people favor the Microfiber Waffle Weave Towels over the Absorber to dry your paint finish. Why? because the Absorber can easily trap debris, and fine particles that can scratch your finish as you dry. The Absorber is a synthetic material, and doesn't offer much cushion between itself and the paint surface, whereas the mmicrofiber is a lot softer, and particles will get cushioned into the towel

Of course a good and thourough washing technique will eliminate said particles to show as you wash you dry your car...

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

IMO the absorber would create swirls with no contamination present. I believe its the material itself that is the problem. Micro fibre is all I use now. I was using the micro fibre from wal*mart (some packs have a softer edge then others) which is pretty good but I recently upgraded to Cobra micro fibre and the differance is quite apparent. The Cobra microfibre makes buffing wax off a piece of cake(because of the cross weave design of the fibres) and they have no sewn edges.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information