Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

wet sanding my headlights didnt work to good

This is a discussion on wet sanding my headlights didnt work to good within the Showcar and Detailing forums, part of the General Help category; I did the ole wetsand my headlights to clean them up but now it looks worse. I used 400, 800, ...

  1. #1
    Ebaaaaaaaaa Speedy_Gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    11,019

    Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

    wet sanding my headlights didnt work to good

    I did the ole wetsand my headlights to clean them up but now it looks worse.

    I used 400, 800, 1000, 1500 and 2000 grain. It got the film off but now it has a light cloud on the lense. I polished the lens (w/Plastic X) after sanding and it helped but its still cloudy. Any suggestions ?
    Last edited by Speedy_Gonzales; 10-06-2007 at 05:32 PM.

  2. #2
    Ebaaaaaaaaa Speedy_Gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    11,019

    Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

    found a stickie on the subject (forgive me its on a mustang site lol)
    http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=536689

    going to get some turtle wax polishing compound and scratch remover and see how it works

  3. #3
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Good luck.
    Let me know your process and how well it worked.
    My daily driver '01 Grand Am GT is starting to have hazed lens.

  4. #4
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    After wetsanding, use a buffer and the Plastic-x and it will clear it up. Applying by hand will not get rid of the have

  5. #5
    no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,463

    Pewter
    2000 z28

    RANDY....

    i did the exact same thing and then went to the exact same site (stang) and then bought that exact same crap.

    it still didnt work for me.

    then i took my meguiars cleaner wax to it and it cleared up.....

  6. #6
    Ebaaaaaaaaa Speedy_Gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    11,019

    Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

    Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    RANDY....

    i did the exact same thing and then went to the exact same site (stang) and then bought that exact same crap.

    it still didnt work for me.

    then i took my meguiars cleaner wax to it and it cleared up.....

    lol small world........I took some zymol cleaner wax and it did better than the plasic x............I might get a polisher/buffer.........I want one anyway

  7. #7
    Senior Member Zboner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    cincinnati/northern ky
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,045

    Black
    99 SS

    how long did you spend on it?? It worked great on my camaro, cleaned them up really nice man. i spent about 2 hours on each headlight and used a lot of water on them when i was sanding. use mothers plastic polish that worked for me.

  8. #8
    no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,463

    Pewter
    2000 z28

    Quote Originally Posted by Zboner View Post
    how long did you spend on it?? It worked great on my camaro, cleaned them up really nice man. i spent about 2 hours on each headlight and used a lot of water on them when i was sanding. use mothers plastic polish that worked for me.
    i must just be stupid then because i spent half the day on ONE headlight....

    marked this one under good intentions....

    and bought a new light.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Zboner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    cincinnati/northern ky
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,045

    Black
    99 SS

    Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    i must just be stupid then because i spent half the day on ONE headlight....

    marked this one under good intentions....

    and bought a new light.

    wow thats a long ass time, lol

    you must not of done something right then cause mine were so bad you could barley see the lights and it cleared them right up. try mothers plastic polish before you give up

  10. #10
    no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,463

    Pewter
    2000 z28

    Quote Originally Posted by Zboner View Post
    wow thats a long ass time, lol

    you must not of done something right then cause mine were so bad you could barley see the lights and it cleared them right up. try mothers plastic polish before you give up
    i will buddy. thanks.

    whats the highest grit you used out of curiosity?

  11. #11
    Senior Member Zboner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    cincinnati/northern ky
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,045

    Black
    99 SS

    I used 2,000 and i used a shitty polish at first, then tried the mothers and it worked lem see if i got and before and after pics of it for you, at the least you coud clean them up and sell them, i know they pull a pretty penny to say the least

  12. #12
    no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,463

    Pewter
    2000 z28

    i only used up to 1200....

    im going to have to give mothers a shot. i did this when i did the "whistler" mod.

    thanks again.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Zboner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    cincinnati/northern ky
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,045

    Black
    99 SS

    Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    i only used up to 1200....

    im going to have to give mothers a shot. i did this when i did the "whistler" mod.

    thanks again.

    no problem, yea i went from 800-1,000-1,500-2,000

    then polish. and i dont have any before and after pics, but here is the after one.

  14. #14
    Ebaaaaaaaaa Speedy_Gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    11,019

    Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

    I used the turtle wax polishing compound and scratch remover today. It helped a little but would take a high speed buffer.

    Then I tried mothers mag & aluminum polish and it worked much better. It was getting dark so I didnt get to do the entire headlight. I will try it tomorrow

    Silly thing about all this is my headlights were not to bad, but I wanted them to look new

  15. #15
    Senior Member Zboner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    cincinnati/northern ky
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,045

    Black
    99 SS

    not sure if the alum polish woiuld work that great, but they do make a plastic polish that worked great for me

  16. #16
    I lika da Chevy's LETHALxLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,328

    BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

    Randy-if you dont want to buy a buffer yet or even if you do -they make orange cutting pads and finishing pads with a backing plate in a little kit for repairing scratches at wal-mart that fits on your drill. They are like 2 1/2-3" round and would be perfect for doing the headlights. I bought a kit but havent had time to use it yet. Then one day if you get a scratch in your paint you could use the kit for that (it comes with some scratch repair paste too).

  17. #17
    Nitrous Tuner LS2Tuner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    WestCoast AZ-CALI
    Posts
    4,763

    Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

    Save yourself time and use Mothers alum polish with NO wet sanding.
    Then go back over it with a glaze such as Meq. #7 show car glaze or something that is a glaze NOT a wax.
    They will look like new.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

  18. #18
    I lika da Chevy's LETHALxLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,328

    BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

    The only problem I had by not sanding was the haze came back within 1 week of doing them with plastx. I havent tried the method tuner used but am going to.

  19. #19
    Nitrous Tuner LS2Tuner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    WestCoast AZ-CALI
    Posts
    4,763

    Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

    The alum polish is somewhat abrasive. And the glaze seals the plastic back up and fills in scratches.

  20. #20
    Ebaaaaaaaaa Speedy_Gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    11,019

    Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

    Quote Originally Posted by BREAKxNECKxSPEED View Post
    Randy-if you dont want to buy a buffer yet or even if you do -they make orange cutting pads and finishing pads with a backing plate in a little kit for repairing scratches at wal-mart that fits on your drill. They are like 2 1/2-3" round and would be perfect for doing the headlights. I bought a kit but havent had time to use it yet. Then one day if you get a scratch in your paint you could use the kit for that (it comes with some scratch repair paste too).

    ok thanks dude I will ck that out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Color Sanding Process - Color Sanding To Perfectio
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-30-2010, 03:00 AM
  2. Paint work and wet sanding is done...
    By 02ultraZ in forum Classic Muscle
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-03-2010, 08:22 PM
  3. Color Sanding And Buffing - Good Reflections
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Corvette
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-18-2009, 02:40 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-04-2007, 02:13 PM
  5. High beam headlights dont work?
    By pilot13blackcat in forum General Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-14-2007, 10:55 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •