Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

wax and polish??

This is a discussion on wax and polish?? within the Showcar and Detailing forums, part of the General Help category; I get that. 100%. If you can though, go with Meguiars over turtle wax. Once you get the first claybar ...

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I get that. 100%.
    If you can though, go with Meguiars over turtle wax.

Once you get the first claybar process done, do it yearly and it should take maybe an hour to get it done.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I get that. 100%.
    If you can though, go with Meguiars over turtle wax.

Once you get the first claybar process done, do it yearly and it should take maybe an hour to get it done.
    Meguiars is probably the best affordable OTC wax you can buy. It shouldn't break your wallet either.

2000 Camaro z28

I'm going to try it next time I get wax. Should I not use the rest of the turtle wax on my camaro ( and use it up on my dads vette ) J/K, but seriously, is it bad for my finish? Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by reaper ws6 View Post
    yeah i went to auto zone and they finally got mothers it in stock so is it true dat your not suppose to do it on the sun??
    Applying carnauba or cleaner waxes in the sun can be a chore -- simply put, it can complicate the polishing process because it will tend to dry while you're working, and if you let it dry too long it carnauba residue can be brutal.

I've applied both FX SynWax liquid and paste in the sun with virtually no effort and no different from the shade -- being that it's a synthetic, it bonds differently, and somehow it's a breeze to remove the residue. Pep Boys has them both -- not sure about Autozone.

If you are waxing outdoors with a carnauba or non-synthetic, do it early in the day before it gets hot, and work smaller panels.

No matter which product, body panels should not be hot to the touch -- if they're hot, you're certain to have problems no matter what product you use.

Use the directions as your guideline until you get used to any product.

Quote Originally Posted by rappin_ernie View Post
    I'm going to try it next time I get wax. Should I not use the rest of the turtle wax on my camaro ( and use it up on my dads vette ) J/K, but seriously, is it bad for my finish? Thanks for the help!
    Don't let anyone get you down on your choice of wax -- the most important thing you can do is keep your ride clean and protected like you have been, and have pride in it and enjoy it.

More expensive brands like the Mothers that I like, or Meguiar's that others like, are becuase they are usually easier to use and provide more longer lasting protection, and sometimes tackle a certain job better. Though it seems every time I try a Meguiar's, I go back the Mothers.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by Jim D. View Post
    More expensive brands like the Mothers that I like, or Meguiar's that others like, are becuase they are usually easier to use and provide more longer lasting protection, and sometimes tackle a certain job better. Though it seems every time I try a Meguiar's, I go back the Mothers.
    Some like one, some like the other.

Neither are 'expensive' brands though. Just saying....
    I paid $50 for 6 ounces of the wax I use. And that is lower end boutique shit. Victoria's Concours Red

White
    1998 Trans Am

I guess I'm a noob on this, I'm 19 and this is my first car. I just spent my life savings on it, so I want it to look good. I spent hours with the meguairs clay bar and then used the turtle wax. Not to mention 5 hours on each wheel with old polishing blocks from the 80's and a buffer lol. I would buy the best wax and polish available, but I can't afford it. I drive from gas station to gas station 5$ at a time lol. I figured that turtle wax was a good name, and it's not too pricey.
    If you want a gloss finish that lasts try to find a dupont or PPG store that sells wizards compounds, sealnts, and waxes. They have a $10 sealant in with a purple cap that shines perfect and last through more abuse than your car will see. I use it on my TA and 5.0. I also use it on my Trailblazer that looks nice in the red tintcoat and all the chrome but I use it for work. It stays out in the TX sun all day, rain, usually covered in mud hand wash it every month after I blow the thick stuff off at a pressure washer and it looks like it was just waxed. Stuff last me 6 months on my truck and 5.0 both outdoor cars. The TA I do once a yr and a coat of show wax for some extra shine b4 a meet sometimes. They also make a black renew that makes your tires glossy but now too shiny and nno sling.

2000 Camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    If you want a gloss finish that lasts try to find a dupont or PPG store that sells wizards compounds, sealnts, and waxes. They have a $10 sealant in with a purple cap that shines perfect and last through more abuse than your car will see. I use it on my TA and 5.0. I also use it on my Trailblazer that looks nice in the red tintcoat and all the chrome but I use it for work. It stays out in the TX sun all day, rain, usually covered in mud hand wash it every month after I blow the thick stuff off at a pressure washer and it looks like it was just waxed. Stuff last me 6 months on my truck and 5.0 both outdoor cars. The TA I do once a yr and a coat of show wax for some extra shine b4 a meet sometimes. They also make a black renew that makes your tires glossy but now too shiny and nno sling.
    Alright, I'll look for em, thanks for the recommendations!

navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

Go with a sealant and stay away from carnuba wax. The clear coat will actually absorb the carnuba and over time can actually dull and haze your finish. Polymer sealants are a better choice and last longer. Like ryan said try to find a ppg store. I like car bright and proffesional 3M products.
    2002 Camaro SS/M6. Volant CAI, 80mm TB w/spacer, cat delete w/ ory, borla XR-1 w/ cme, custom tune, 3.73's, 8,000k HID headlights and foglights, 19" staggered ruff 278 wheels.

Paint does not absorb carnauba, that's just a myth.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Applying carnauba or cleaner waxes in the sun can be a chore -- simply put, it can complicate the polishing process because it will tend to dry while you're working, and if you let it dry too long it carnauba residue can be brutal.

I've applied both FX SynWax liquid and paste in the sun with virtually no effort and no different from the shade -- being that it's a synthetic, it bonds differently, and somehow it's a breeze to remove the residue. Pep Boys has them both -- not sure about Autozone.

If you are waxing outdoors with a carnauba or non-synthetic, do it early in the day before it gets hot, and work smaller panels.

No matter which product, body panels should not be hot to the touch -- if they're hot, you're certain to have problems no matter what product you use.

Use the directions as your guideline until you get used to any product.
    I've used cheap old "New finish" In dirrect sunshine and when the panels have been very hot.. No issues, ever.. Over many years (more than 20) and many cars.. I still use it once in a while as a quick wax too.. Though for detail work I use my oun 3-step process in my shop out of the sun.. Then finish it with 1-3 coats of Parko.. All done by hand no machines..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

Paint does not absorb carnauba, that's just a myth.
    In just a one year period of using carnuba based products (meguires) my finish on my trans am was noticably duller. A rep from the meguires hotline actually told me that carnuba was the culprit. Myth confirmed

White
    1998 Trans Am

Hope you find it it's easy on and easy off slick finish and long lasting protection from sun, water spots, and even overspray when I prked to close to my shop while painting buffed right off with a polish pad and swirl remover and no effort than another coat of sealant. For $10 I'll put it against any wax. They also make a breatable version for fresh paint that I use after I wet sand and buff a fresh paint job. Hids swirls and protects the new paint though I recommend using the perple sealant after 2 months since I'm not sure the breathable last longer than a couple months. If you want pure shine they have Butter wax for $15 but it only last a couple washed we used it on Vette's and Caddys at lots to shine them up before a customer picked the car up if we did any minor repairs. I use it for meets only and my TA since it goes out once a month never sees rain unless it's a freak shower and only sun it gets it at the meet or sruise then back to garage. Wash and dry after cruise and back in garage
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Awaiting Activation superman4evr's Avatar

Red Jewell Tintcoat
    2008 Grand Prix GXP

For an OTC product, I'm going to 2nd what Ryan said. They have great stuff. Surf City products at PepBoys is another great one. Meguiars is good. But for Meguiars they have too many things that could confuse someone. Take for example NXT. I've made it no secret that I hate that shit.
    It stains trim, doesn't last but a few washes and generally just overpriced hype.
    Getting a bottle of Collinite 845 would be money better spent than NXT.
    But you also have to prep your car correctly too. Find a good swirl remover and or final polish. Then when you have it looking like glass, put a nice sealant on it. Something that will last for a few months. Then get a good spray detailer for inbetween washes.

White
    1998 Trans Am

If they don't have the wizards 3m liquid is good. Try to find any sealant. Also sometimes you can ask the people and they can recommend one. That's how I switched to Wizards cutting compound and sealand I still like my finnesse it for the de swirlling step. or just to do a quick buff after a clay bar with a polishing pad before I used the sealnt. 3m also makes a nice dark car glaze and swirl remover and light car glaze and swirl remover all you need is a random orbit buffer and a polish pad and it'll come out good even if your an amatuer. i prefer dewalt rotary's the porters are to slow for me I only use them on black cars with minor swirls and a wax job.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS-6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    In short....it is crap.
    Wasn't my intent to make you feel bad...my bad on that.
    I should have gone into more depth.

I was basically the same way, although all I used to do was wax my car with Meguiars. I had no idea how much better it could look with better products and a little more work.
    completely agree! turtle was is horrible...i used the turtle wax color match CRAP, and needless to say the next day i had to redo the car with meguirars and wha-la, beautiful!

Lifes A Garden, Dig It!!! 02convertibleT/A's Avatar

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am Convertible

the only turtle wax products i ever used was there chrome polish and interior carpet cleaner with OXY. i got better stuff now tho.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information