Washing the Viper with a water softener?

This is a discussion on Washing the Viper with a water softener? within the Showcar and Detailing forums, part of the General Help category; Well today I need to clean her up after a long, 2 hour, rainy drive home from the former owners ...

Silver, Black
    03 Viper, 05 Escalade

Washing the Viper with a water softener?

Well today I need to clean her up after a long, 2 hour, rainy drive home from the former owners home. I have well water at my house and we have hard water so I use a water softener. I used to watch the Corvette with it on and if I didnt dry it fast enough in partial sunlight, it would leave white salt spots. Today I'm not really worried about it spotting since it is a cloudy 39 degree day out, but does the salt hurt the finish?
    Also, I am not sure if it was the softener or a soap buildup on my corvette, but when washing it, it would almost look like that oily, gasoline rainbow color that you see when gas is on a parking lot. Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by cujo; 11-05-2009 at 07:24 AM.

Red
    2002 Z28

Salt probably wouldn't be very good for the finish. Just make sure it's given a good rinse and use good micro fiber towels to dry it off. And that rainbow you describe is more than likely soap buildup. Are pictures possible?

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

water softner wont' hurt your car... if you have water softner and drink some water from your shower/sink what ever it's not going to taste salty...

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

ONR ftw. It softens water when you add it to the bucket:

Optimum No Rinse; Field Test

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

the rainbows you see are from the soap your using not the softener, I use an inline filter and softern system for my car every time i wash it and it works great. Made such a huge difference, if you would like to see the system I have send me a pm and I will give you the link.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

Op, you have it completely backwards. Soft water prevents hardwater spots or white spots. I always use soft water to wash my cars, never hard.

You sure your outside spouts are soft? Many times those are hooked up before the softener.
    Also agree with the post above, its your soap leaving the spots. Use very little soap or none at all, and a lot of water.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Klug23 View Post
    Op, you have it completely backwards. Soft water prevents hardwater spots or white spots. I always use soft water to wash my cars, never hard.

You sure your outside spouts are soft? Many times those are hooked up before the softener.
    Also agree with the post above, its your soap leaving the spots. Use very little soap or none at all, and a lot of water.
    i would have to make a correction on this post......soap suds help to encapsulate dirt and let it slide off your car, also soap acts as a lubricant when washing along with the water.....soap and water is the way to go the more suds the better..

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by TransAm11973 View Post
    i would have to make a correction on this post......soap suds help to encapsulate dirt and let it slide off your car, also soap acts as a lubricant when washing along with the water.....soap and water is the way to go the more suds the better..
    Will correct again, to much soap, leaves soap residue. Again, i rarely use soap and never had a problem and no swirls etc.

silver
    98 T.A.

Quote Originally Posted by TransAm11973 View Post
    I will agree with this 100%

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

So are you guys the ones that think they have to use some special lubricant to clay bar instead of just water?

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

So are you guys the ones that think they have to use some special lubricant to clay bar instead of just water?
    relax dude, all we are saying is that using soap and water is better then just using water. And yes there are better lubricants out there to use with the clay then just water. Such lubricants have slightly different viscosity then water and dont have the minerals and sediment in then that water has...there for yes it is better to use a specific lubricant.....do whatever you want....you can wipe your ass with your hand but really is it the best way to do it? nope. Bottom line with me is that I dont cheap out with anything when it comes to my cars.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Yes, there is. I use my detailer spray as a lubricant with the clay bar.

Now in Summit LT1 Flavor! Y2KArcticSS's Avatar

Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    Yes, there is. I use my detailer spray as a lubricant with the clay bar.
    Yup, that's what I do as well. Not sure you're even supposed to use water with a clay bar at all...... I always wash with Dawn, dry, clay bar with detailer, and then wax if there is enough time left in the day.

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KArcticSS View Post
    Yup, that's what I do as well. Not sure you're even supposed to use water with a clay bar at all...... I always wash with Dawn, dry, clay bar with detailer, and then wax if there is enough time left in the day.
    There are a lot of people, myself included, that would recommend you purchase an actual car wash soap. Dawn works, sure. But it is harsher than the soaps specifically designed for washing cars.

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by Mike's TA View Post
    There are a lot of people, myself included, that would recommend you purchase an actual car wash soap. Dawn works, sure. But it is harsher than the soaps specifically designed for washing cars.
    Very true, I've told by a painter it will soften the clear coat. I know for sure it will strip of any protective oils on the paint, but you apply wax at least.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I wash mine with Zaino's car wash product.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike's TA View Post

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I dunno I've been using dish soap on my 01 and my other vehicles for years. I simply use water hot as I can stand it. Nothing ever happened to my paint and it's flawless..Just my .02..
    Last edited by Smittro; 11-06-2009 at 11:57 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

um wow...special lubricant - no...but some sort of lubricant - YES. just use soapy water.

Thread Information