Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Washing the car in the sunshine

Around here in Arizona, the opportunities to wash a car in the "shade" or on an overcast day are rare. So, what I've come up with is this:

I use the hose and the Meguiar's soap (plus other products like Rain-X bug-b-gone or whatever its called) to wash the car as normal. Of course, the sun dries up the (super hard) water leaving deposits. I take a towel to the body and dry off what is still wet. Then, I go over it with quick detailer to get rid of the spots.

I just go sick of waiting for an overcast day... the car was getting caked with dirt (especially after two trips home from work in the rain).

Anyway, just an idea if you otherwise have the time on a hot sunny day to wash the car.

BRR
    2002 SS LE

If I don't feel like moving vehicles,boats,quads around in my shop to give me some extra room to wash a vehicle out of the sunlight, I just use the garage. Move my wife's Terrain out, and have at it.

If you don't have a garage, carport or some way to get out of the sun, ask a friend or a co-worker to use their garage/shop for a while and buy them a 6 pack. Those deposits being left as water spots will eventually become harder and harder to remove until they do permanent damage to your paint. Especially being baked on in the sunlight.

Artic White
    2002 Camaro SS

The ez up tents are a good option. You may want to consider a rinseless wash option that will give you the ability to work panel by panel. Optimum No Rinse is a good one to use.
    2002 Artic White SS 35th Wheels|Full Hotchkis Suspension|Koni SA|Magnaflow CME|SLP lid|www.fquick.com/The_Guz

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Yeah, I have a garage, but I have other stuff in there that I don't want getting blasted with the hose.

Anyway, that's why I go with the quick detailer spray afterwards: to remove the deposits so that they don't accumulate. Car sleeps in the garage during the hottest times of day anyway.
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

silver
    '02 Firebird Formula

You can always wait until the sun goes down or wash it before the sun comes up.
    2002 Firebird Formula - 5.7 Liter - "Last of the Breed"

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

[QUOTE=024mula;2954702]You can always wait until the sun goes down or wash it before the sun comes up.

Thats what I was going to suggest......We are sunny and Hot most of the year so.....I just wait until sunset and wash away.....From what Ive always understood and stand by....The best results and whats best for your paint is to NEVER wash it in the hot sun or when the hood or whole car surface is hot to the touch...yeah hard water streaks and so on can be rubbed out but why bother..?Same goes for waxing and polishing.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

kinda what others have said.....having a black car and well water it's a real bitch to wash my car in general. I do it in the garage or right at sunset if I can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Black Paint always looks good on almost any car! Its one of the best colors to have ....Everything looks so sleek and shiny... I almost went for a black SS but as I already new and friends that paint for a living told me black shows any and all imperfections in the bodywork of the car and easily shows any scratches,chips and dirt/dust..... So with that being said and mainly because im very very anal when it comes to the things I mentioned I decided against it..Im way too picky when it comes to paint ...So I can imagine water spots from hard water (which we have here...very hard) and other things that come with black.....Its still one of my favorites for cars,,But I am more then pleased with the SOM that I chose,,,Its really a unique color shines like a diamond in a goats ass even when its not highly polished I just love it. As Naaman mentioned I also use Meguiars Quick Detail in between polishing and waxing it really does wonders if some of the water dries and causes any deposits..Great stuff.

silver
    '02 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    Its really a unique color shines like a diamond in a goats ass even when its not highly polished I just love it.
    Nice

Back to the original topic, have you guys tryed filter water after you wash the car, it leaves no water spot.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

One of these days, I will install a whole-house water softener (due to the age/type of plumbing, it's an all or nothing deal at my house). Until then, I'm pretty much stuck spraying gravel out of the hose.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by 024mula View Post
    Nice

Back to the original topic , have you guys tryed filter water after you wash the car, it leaves no water spot.
    I used to use a MR.Clean Auto-dry contraption at the end of the hose...Anyone remember that?.... It was a big blue thing that housed dual sand type filled cylinders that would filter the hard water...It actually worked pretty good except with the extremely hard water we had and the frequency of having ti replace them It wasn't cost effective so I stopped using it....I still have it though... But like I said earlier I wash in the shade,keep it waxed,polished and use quick detailer on it so I don't have a problem with spotting.
    Last edited by SuperSSguy; 10-15-2016 at 06:20 PM.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

[QUOTE=Naaman;2956474]One of these days, I will install a whole-house water softener (due to the age/type of plumbing, it's an all or nothing deal at my house). Until then, I'm pretty much stuck spraying gravel out of the hose OH MAN THAT SUCKS......
    Last edited by SuperSSguy; 10-15-2016 at 06:26 PM.

silver
    '02 Firebird Formula

Here is what I use, originaly I bought it for drinking water but later I used the filtered water on the car and I am truly amazed everly time I use it but since I have a silver car I really don't do it all the time.

AquaRain | Home

I still use it for drinking water.
    Last edited by 024mula; 10-16-2016 at 06:46 AM.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Same here. In fact, the exact same size is what I have in my kitchen.

07 Chevy Corvette
    2004 Pontiac GTO

If you use a ph balanced soap will washing a car it will be fine washing in the sun. Wash the entire car and then rinse the car. When you rinse the car rinse the shaded side first and then the side in the sun. If you want to take it a step further you can use the cr spotless water filtration on the rinse. Just spray some detail spray on your drying towel and dry the car.

Adams polishes make a good ph balance soap. Check out his you tube channel. I believe he does a black cadillac in the sun in one of his videos.

Autogeek on you tube shows the cr spotless and how to use it in the sun on a corvette
    2004 Pontiac GTO
    2007 Chevy Corvette

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Outstanding. Good to know!

07 Chevy Corvette
    2004 Pontiac GTO

Sorry meant to say ph neutral.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

07 Chevy Corvette
    2004 Pontiac GTO

If the soap dries on the car dont worry it will rinse off no problem.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    Around here in Arizona, the opportunities to wash a car in the "shade" or on an overcast day are rare. So, what I've come up with is this:

I use the hose and the Meguiar's soap (plus other products like Rain-X bug-b-gone or whatever its called) to wash the car as normal. Of course, the sun dries up the (super hard) water leaving deposits. I take a towel to the body and dry off what is still wet. Then, I go over it with quick detailer to get rid of the spots.

I just go sick of waiting for an overcast day... the car was getting caked with dirt (especially after two trips home from work in the rain).

Anyway, just an idea if you otherwise have the time on a hot sunny day to wash the car.
    Same here in Vegas.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post

Same here in Vegas.

Thread Information