Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Turtle Wax ICE

This is a discussion on Turtle Wax ICE within the Showcar and Detailing forums, part of the General Help category; I've heard mixed things...... my brother said it works great and then a guy at autozone said it sucks. I'll ...

Red
    2002 Trans Am

I've heard mixed things...... my brother said it works great and then a guy at autozone said it sucks. I'll have to try it myself I guess.

Black
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

there's the problem, you listened to a guy at autozone

sbbuick
    Quote Originally Posted by Laytonium View Post

I think that's funny, and I worked there for a year!! This stuff sounds like an old product called "shine booster" . That, I believe was from Eagle One. It dates back to the 1980's.

So is this stuff a wax, or just something to use in addition to wax?

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

Well I just tried the Turtle Wax Ice on a black SS it was easy to use, not sure how it will hold up only time will tell. Here is a picture after the wax job.
    [IMG]i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1/Jim02_2006/110-1038_IMG.jpg[/IMG]

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

Sorry about that try this one.

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

i like it. used it for the first time today. it's pretty sweet.

two tone
    2003 harley davidson f150

i like it.. made a nice shine. it wont last too long but nice for a few days at least.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I just used it today on my T/A actually.

I was impressed at how easily it went on, you're basically just wiping the entire car down with the sponge applicator, as opposed to traditional waxing in a circular motion which requires more elbow grease. It smells nice too, which takes a page from Meguires book with the NXT Wax.

The only issue I had is that since its clear, its hard to tell how much is left on the sponge, and what areas you have or haven't already done. So undoubtably I missed at least a few spots, and went over other ones more than once. Not too big of a deal though.

It comes off rather easily too, but just as with putting it on, you can't tell what spots you've missed since its practically invisible. It worked well on the taillight lenses and plastic trim, not sure how long it will stay like that though.

Overall I think its a very good product, and somewhat of a breakthrough. Its great for cleaning up your car when you don't have time to be waxing it and detailing all of the trim and plastic surfaces. However, I still don't think its a replacement for a real wax, such as Zaino or NXT. It just doesn't give the depth and smoothness that those waxes off, nor do I think it provides the same protection for the paint.

Conclusively, I think its great for polishing your car quickly in between waxes. Like when you wash the car, and want to wax it afterwards, but don't have the time or energy to do so. I'll be using my Meguires NXT Tech Wax in the future, and I'll use the ICE as a quick polish between waxes.

Hope thats helpful

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Ok fellers, I used the ice and liked it but then i wanted more so i invested in mothers polish, i used there three step process.
    Im gonna say in my op. tw ice doesnt come close. Its a lil more time consuming too do the three steps but when your done, WOW
    Needless to say i have just about a full bottle of ice thats gettin packed away and will be used on my lawnmower now.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Silver
    1998 camaro z28

the turtle wax ice is great. But I agree that if you want that super depth, smoothness, etc, you will have to use a sealer wax. after some use of ice on several diffrent cars now, I've come to this conclusion. wax about 3 layers of sealer wax, let it cure, then use the ice almost like a detailer wax. use it about twice a month and it will keep the sealer wax on there longer.

Sebring Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I hear its silicone based and not good for your paint.
    I got to researching and found this directly on Meguiars website sorry its long but the answer is no its not hamrful to your paint at all.

18. Are products that contain silicone bad for my car's finish?

No. In fact, automotive paints worldwide contain silicone as an ingredient to help the paint to spray and flow more smoothly.

Most of the concerns people have about silicones and products that contain silicones stem from the problems associated with them in the early 1950's. Back then, 40 and 50 years ago, if the surface wasnít properly prepared, residual silicones on the surface or in the shop environment, could cause surface adhesion problems. The most common among them is a defect referred to Fish Eyes in the paint.

Fish Eyes are a small, circular craters that appear in the finish where the paint piles up in a circle surrounding a point on the surface that contains some type of contaminant that creates high surface tension, usually some type of wax, grease or silicone. The reason freshly sprayed paint does this is because contaminants like wax and silicone tend to create high surface tension and do not allow the freshly applied paint to stick or adhere properly. Instead of laying down flat over the top of these contaminants, the paint moves away from these contaminants, forming a ring around them that has the visual appearance of what is historically described as a "fish eye".

Knowledge of chemistry, as well as most other technologies have evolved and grown substantially since the 1950's (just look at modern cars and personal computers as two very visible, common examples of how technology has progressed). The problems painters encountered 50 years ago are more easily addressed with today's modern paint prepping chemicals, shop environments, paint additives, and most importantly, education. Back in the 1950's, there were no formal training programs available for young men and women entering the automotive repair industry. Most of the time, a person would start out at the bottom, sweeping and cleaning up, and slowly move up the ladder through knowledge gained by on-the-job training. Today there are hundreds of certified schools that specialize in formal education for the automotive industry. This includes paint manufacturers, who provide in-depth training for anyone who uses their paint systems.

Most professionals in the refinishing industry understand that a majority of the paintwork they do, day-in and day-out, is on cars that have been waxed using products that contain both wax and silicone.

Professionals in the body shop industry always perform the necessary preparation work required to insure that "fish eyes" are not a problem. This includes using special degreasers, wax and silicone removers that effectively remove these substances from the surface or chemically alter their molecular structure in such a way to insure they pose no problems. If there is ever any question or doubt about the surface to which new paint is going to be applied, painters will include a Fish Eye Eliminator into the paint, which insures a finish free from fish eyes. Interestingly enough, Fish Eye Eliminator is typically a special silicone additive.

There are many kinds of silicones available for use in car care products, the one thing all silicones have in common is they are completely inert. This means they do not react in either a negative or a positive manner with any substance they come into contact with, including your car's paint.

Silicones are primarily used to modify or enhance a specific characteristic of another ingredient in a Meguiar's formula. If the silicones Meguiar's relies on didn't offer some type of positive benefit to the product, or the end-user and the results they are trying to achieve, Meguiar's wouldn't include them in their formulas.

For example: The use of some types of silicone in a formula acts to make the product easier to both spread and wipe-off, thus reducing the effort required to apply and remove the product, which then helps to reduce the potential for application or wipe-off inflicted scratches. Thatís a benefit to you.

Meguiar's has been the leader in creating paintable, body shop safe products because of our history and continuing leadership in creating state-of-the-art formulas for use by new car manufacturers as well as the collision repair and custom painting industries. Because of our expertise in creating wax and silicone-free products for fresh paint environments, you will find many of our paint cleaners and polishes are paintable and body shop safe.

Because Meguiar's is a major supplier to the automotive finishing industry, both to OEM (factory level) and the re-finishing industry (collision repair, body shops and custom paint shops), Meguiar's can offer you a complete selection of paintable products including at least one polish that contains a paintable polymer for increased protection.

The fear and confusion surrounding this single ingredient, silicone, is an ongoing problem people run into when they get caught up in the hype and misinformation spread from person to person, generation to generation and now-a-days, on the internet, which exaggerates the problems surrounding the use of silicones in car care products.

There are some sources that even go so far to say that silicones are harmful to paint. This is not only dishonest; it calls into question the credibility of that resource and any and all claims they make. Silicone is inert. It cannot harm paint, let alone anything else it is formulated into, or sitting on top of, especially in the form of a coating of wax.
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g154/illcul8troffcr/My%20SS/signaturew.jpg
    2002 Camaro SS #1539
    MTI Clear AirLid /Magnaflow catback/Polished Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace/K&N Filter/Bilstein Suspension/
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/553601
    http://www.fquick.com/illcul8troffcr

Sebring Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

hot

Silver
    1998 camaro z28

exactly what he said ^

Did not like it

Eagle One Nano ROCKS!!!!
    Bonnie
    Paris, KY-Bourbon County- USA
    2002 Black on Black WS6 Trans AM
    Built on May 1st, 2002 My Anniversary
    ASC # 8,506

4th Place @ The 2006 Trans Am Nationals/Class GG light Modified 1993-2002

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

I like it! It sets my paint OFF! I still think they other waxes like NXT and such are the main ones that should be used, but in the mean time for a quick shine and awesome look use the I.C.E.

red
    2000 ss

Quote Originally Posted by Laytonium View Post
    hahaha

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 7camaro7 View Post
    I like it! It sets my paint OFF! I still think they other waxes like NXT and such are the main ones that should be used, but in the mean time for a quick shine and awesome look use the I.C.E.
    Agreed, thats how I use it too. Its no substitute for a real wax (like NXT), but its perfect for shining up the car in between waxes, or when you don't have enough time to use a real wax.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I hear its silicone based and not good for your paint.
    99 WS6 M6 NBM !Cags,!Cats,Vinci/Crane,Hurst,Detroit TruTrac,3:73,31 Splne,Edel.Race LT's,ORY,QTEC,Flow,ARP,Percy,MSD,SLP,AC/DELCO,Bosch,GMPP,Cntrfrce DF,Htchkiss,Susp.Tech,Lakewood,285's,Bilstein,Pro-kit,SLP,RK Sprt,A/Meter,Red Optima,Magnaflow S/S Tips,Hd Pins,Tint,Fire.Ex,[*4 Hot Rod Power Tours*]

Arctic White
    2001 Camaro SS

Easy to apply, looks decent, but doesnt last. It does work great on exterior plastic, i.e. T-top molding, front grilles, and cowl area. I'd rather spend 4 hours doing a real detail, but sometimes that time just isnt available so the Ice does a quick job.

1 BAD ASS BOWTIE StangKiller615's Avatar

Black on Black
    2001 Camaro SS

I dont care what anyone says, but its no Zanio!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information