Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

ts|s detailing: 06 Ford Fusion

This is a discussion on ts|s detailing: 06 Ford Fusion within the Showcar and Detailing forums, part of the General Help category; Originally Posted by chuckie669 I see you ninja'd the nickle. Great job. Lol, only tipped his self....

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    I see you ninja'd the nickle. Great job.
    Lol, only tipped his self.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    I see you ninja'd the nickle. Great job.
    I don't understand that

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    I don't understand that
    There's a nickle in the before pic and none in the after.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

oh. lol.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by LSCyaL8R View Post
    lol... welcome to NY the city with the highest cost of living in the united states. in fact... one of the most expensive cities on earth!!! It doesn't surprise me one bit that a reputable shop charges for everything. Consider the number of bentleys, maybachs, aston martins, ferraris, lambos etc that call NY home and they end up with tons of customers that would go for the top treatment once a month. I saw some prices north of 1200 dollars. for a 1 day affair.... For that much I can ship TSS to my door and have him do it for me and feed him and put him up for the night and send him back home. Prob end up with better results too
    Quote Originally Posted by SHines-IT View Post
    Polishing a car like that every month, over a few years would yield a very thin layer of clear coat. Paint measure, never used one mind you. From what I seen, is a little tool they randomly select different spots and scan. Mostly lets them know consistency, and if there's a possible repaint. Lets them know how much they have to play with. I would really only worry about that, if I was wet sanding or use a really damn abrasive polish. I really only polish my car once every 6-8 months, maybe spot polish if there's a scratch. But I mostly reply my wax when needed.
    i know of that machine, a micrometer i belive. Measures the density of the clear-but it's pointless for polishing, you don't remove any clear when you polish. For wet sanding yes. Are they going to wet sand your car? You could get into a few grand with that. It would make your clear coat look about 10x deeper plus eliminate GM's notorious orange peel

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

I just realized if you're in NY city, you might wanna consider this guy, he's in PA and is phenominal. He posts car sex all over that autopia form, his name is Barry Theal of Presidential Details-about 160 miles from you. Google him and you'll see his work-its outstanding, he's quite humble when if you actually can get ahold of him on his phone.

http://www.presidentialdetails.com/

2011 Prius

i know of that machine, a micrometer i belive. Measures the density of the clear-but it's pointless for polishing, you don't remove any clear when you polish. For wet sanding yes. Are they going to wet sand your car? You could get into a few grand with that. It would make your clear coat look about 10x deeper plus eliminate GM's notorious orange peel
    Actually with abrasive polish, you remove a very very thin layer of clear. Not enough to do any damage, it's really how you get swirls and scratches out. It's not something, even if lets say we did it once a month. I would think probably take a good 10 years, before you hit the base coat. Hence, why they say leave it to the professionals. I seen some new guys grab a buffer and some polish do some nice damage to the clear.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

hey thanks for the link. he's about 50 bug splatters away from me sigh I guess there's no avoiding the bug guts on the car though. I had the car looking great at spazpalooza but having it on the street from june to dec took it's toll plus 9 years of unkown paint care.... well 6 years. the previous owner had the car locked away and waxed for three years.

I guess when the weather gets nicer i'll give him a call and see what a one day job would run me. Looks like some of his details run into the 20 hour range. I doubt my car needs THAT much correction I'm being more of a perfectionist than anything else. once again... thank you!!!

and great work on the DD

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

When you start working on custom paint finishes, a PTG (paint thickness gauge) is actually an indispensable tool, even for just polishing.
    I don't own one, but I'm really cautious and ask a lot of question about the history of the car.
    Anytime you work on a car that has zero orange peel, is an indication the car has been wet-sanded quite a bit. While some high-end body shops would apply several coats of clear to allow them to safely wet sand a surface that flat, you can never be so sure where the low and high spots lies on the finish...

niceee.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

thank you!

Professional Detailer GoFast908Z's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Camaro Z28

Start here:
    http://www.autopia.org/find-professi...elinks.php?c=7

my other suggestion is to get a recommendation from a quality painter in town.

Likewise, ask local car forms, and very important make sure they have proof such as a website that shows before/afters.

Expect to drop about $300
    The detail directory on Autopia sucks and doesn't have much info and is never updated. That is the ONLY problem with that site. It is an excellent resource you should use.

I'd recommend that you go to the regional section and post up what your looking for and then check out the work of those who respond. You will find a quality detailer in no time!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information